Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Chuvalo Would Be The Reigning Heavyweight Champ Today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are rounds 1 and 11. Round 1 was a fairly close round made closer by Ali's taking 10 or so body shots without defending them. Something he only did once in the fight for good reason. Round 11 looked like a clear Ali round to me. So out of 4 rounds so far I have 3 that were not far from even rounds.

Comment

Here are rounds 12 and 13 and Chuvalo won the 12th in my mind, and it was another close round in the 13th. So in the six rounds I can find it was a close fight. I will have to watch the rest of the fight one day when I can. But if you watch these six rounds you might see what I think was a close fight. Not a blow out by Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
        Here are rounds 12 and 13 and Chuvalo won the 12th in my mind, and it was another close round in the 13th. So in the six rounds I can find it was a close fight. I will have to watch the rest of the fight one day when I can. But if you watch these six rounds you might see what I think was a close fight. Not a blow out by Ali.

From what I'm seeing Ali hit Chuvalo 10 times to every one time Chuvalo hit him and he couldn't miss with his jab. It showed on Chuvalo's face. Chuvalo took the punishment and fought back gamely but that doesn't translate into a close rounds if you're scoring it. Chuvalo landing some body punches doesn't make the rounds "close" when Ali was dishing out the large majority of the punches. I guess you can consider it close if you ignore the fact that Ali hit Chuvalo much more than Chuvalo hit him.

Comment

The 13th was fairly close many of Ali's punches were blocked. Chuvalo did not have to do much more to get the round. And I think Chuvalo won the 12th.

Comment

The 13th was fairly close many of Ali's punches were blocked. Chuvalo did not have to do much more to get the round. And I think Chuvalo won the 12th.

I'm not going to argue about this anymore after this but you are really reaching by either trying to give Chuvalo rounds or making them seem much closer than they were when Chuvalo clearly lost them. You seem to completely ignore how many punches Chuvalo was taking. Other than what you're saying here I have never heard or seen anybody say this fight was "close". Chuvalo fighting better than expected doesn't make this a close fight on the cards. You can't rewrite history.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              I'm not going to argue about this anymore after this but you are really reaching by either trying to give Chuvalo rounds or making them seem much closer than they were when Chuvalo clearly lost them. You seem to completely ignore how many punches Chuvalo was taking. Other than what you're saying here I have never heard or seen anybody say this fight was "close". Chuvalo fighting better than expected doesn't make this a close fight on the cards. You can't rewrite history.
              I think Chuvalo was more competitive in the fight then many. If you don't listen to the commentator's as much and bring Ali back down to planet earth a little more then most people do, the fight was not such a one sided fight. I do agree Ali won just not by the wide margin you do. So that will have to be good enough for both of us.

Comment

I think Chuvalo was more competitive in the fight then many. If you don't listen to the commentator's as much and bring Ali back down to planet earth a little more then most people do, the fight was not such a one sided fight. I do agree Ali won just not by the wide margin you do. So that will have to be good enough for both of us.
                i agree with all you have said on this topic, IMO Chuvalo would be undisputed champion today.. His fights with Ali was great fights with Chuvalo applying tremendous pressure and getting his licks in to Ali's body.. Those who don't rate Chuvalo should watch the Documentary George Chuvalo The Final Round

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  i agree with all you have said on this topic, IMO Chuvalo would be undisputed champion today.. His fights with Ali was great fights with Chuvalo applying tremendous pressure and getting his licks in to Ali's body.. Those who don't rate Chuvalo should watch the Documentary George Chuvalo The Final Round
                  Chuvalo would be undisputed champion today?

He wouldn't even be competitive with David Haye or Povetkin, let alone the Klitschko's.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    I'm glad someone at least can watch and score an Ali fight without bias. Ali was good enough that his fights don't need to be watched that way. Sure Ali landed many punches on Chuvalo through the fight but Chuvalo landed many himself. Around 40 punches in the first round, 30 in the 12th, 30 in the 13th, 20 in the 14th, and 25 in the final round in the 11th Chuvalo did not get much going though. My point is not that Ali was not great but that prime Chuvalo was very good and could give champs from other era's a real fight. He put about the best heavy ever in the hospital in a tough match. To say he would not give Wlad, Vitali or Lewis a competitive fight is minimizing how good prime Ali was. He was faster and tougher with as long of a reach and able to avoid punches better.

I am not sure if I have seen the Final Round I will check it out.

Comment

I'm glad someone at least can watch and score an Ali fight without bias. Ali was good enough that his fights don't need to be watched that way. Sure Ali landed many punches on Chuvalo through the fight but Chuvalo landed many himself. Around 40 punches in the first round, 30 in the 12th, 30 in the 13th, 20 in the 14th, and 25 in the final round in the 11th Chuvalo did not get much going though. My point is not that Ali was not great but that prime Chuvalo was very good and could give champs from other era's a real fight. He put about the best heavy ever in the hospital in a tough match. To say he would not give Wlad, Vitali or Lewis a competitive fight is minimizing how good prime Ali was. He was faster and tougher with as long of a reach and able to avoid punches better.

I am not sure if I have seen the Final Round I will check it out.
                      The fact of the matter is Chuvalo lost to just about all of the best heavyweights of his time. Including Ali, Frazier, Foreman,Terrell, Bonavena, Buster Mathis, Zora Folley, and Patterson. So lets not pretend that Chuvalo was some juggernaut in the heavyweight division. You seem to find every excuse in the book for his losses along with making up stories that make the fights seem much more competitive than they actually were. I don't feel good about tearing down Chuvalo who I have lot of respect for as a fighter and a person. But you're ridiculously overrating him with these claims that he would be "undisputed champion today" when his career and talents say otherwise. I don't see Chuvalo beating either Klitschko or even David Haye which is what he would have to do to be "undisputed champion".
                      Last edited by joseph5620; 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X