Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cassius Clay vs Henry Cooper 1.......Torn Glove Controversy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, as I remember it the tear on the glove was not deemed necessary to replace it. I've also heard that a quick replacement couldn't be found. Either way, the delay was very minimal.

And the smelling salts were not illegal in 1963, so Angelo did not cheat in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      Yes, as I remember it the tear on the glove was not deemed necessary to replace it. I've also heard that a quick replacement couldn't be found. Either way, the delay was very minimal.

And the smelling salts were not illegal in 1963, so Angelo did not cheat in that respect.
      Correct... i have the Original BBC footage of this fight and like SugarJ said,`There was no replacement gloves` the time between rounds was 62 seconds.. Henry Cooper set off the story that they had to go back and get some replacement gloves which took over 15 minutes and gave Ali time to fully recover, which was bull****.. Angelo Dundee`s claim that he ripped the glove is also fabricated, Dundee pointed the rip out to the referee who took a quick look and waved both fighters to continue at the bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone Roses View Post
        I keep reading wankers claiming that Ali received 1 or even 2 extra minutes in between rounds 4 and 5 after he got Knocked Down by Cooper.

I have seen many versions of this fight on video. Atmost, Ali only received 6-11 extra seconds.

Can the people who claim Ali received 1 extra minute of recovery time please provide evidence. Post a link to the version of the video you have seen.
        This is a big myth exposed by another boxing forum.Muhammad Ali only recieved an extra 5 seconds before the 5th round.

I watched the fight and it was true....Ali only recieved 5 extra seconds.

BTW-Another myth...There was not an extra pair of gloves.Ali fought the 5th round with the slightly torn glove.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Correct... i have the Original BBC footage of this fight and like SugarJ said,`There was no replacement gloves` the time between rounds was 62 seconds.. Henry Cooper set off the story that they had to go back and get some replacement gloves which took over 15 minutes and gave Ali time to fully recover, which was bull****.. Angelo Dundee`s claim that he ripped the glove is also fabricated, Dundee pointed the rip out to the referee who took a quick look and waved both fighters to continue at the bell.
          Yep sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by boxersnose
            to fighting marine...
            slighlty confused pal, your name suggests a militant backround well.. firstly why are you so pro ali when he draft dodged?.. if your american thats worse if your british why do you down a british legend.
            also when you said "you seem a knowledgeable lad" im sure whoever you wrote that too feels all the more intelligent thanks to your approval!
            finaly and basically most of all... have you ever boxed??... 10 seconds is a seriously long time!, evidently you have never ever boxed as you would understand that!. as for the fact dundee has admitted the glove incident if ali was so great and 10 seconds is no time at all then why bother doing it!!..
            He cheated end of.. cooper banged down the draft dodging cheat and lost because he has bad skin above his eyes. I am a boxer I can appreciate 10 seconds cheats and bad skin.. trust me I AM a knowedgeable lad the name changing cheat, did cheat..

Fighting Marine was Gene Tunney's nickname and who that user had in his avatar.

The rest of your post sucks, as you obviously know nothing about which you're talking....or you're just straight up trolling. Either way I don't think this section will be long for you.

Comment

Working...
            X