Collapse
No announcement yet.

so how far CGI in films still could go?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so how far CGI in films still could go?

i mean look at planet of the apes and just how realistic ceasar was on that?

and what about the value of real life actors like russell crowe or denzel washington? would you still pay them millions if companies like weta and ILM could come up with a pure CGI character like ceasar or gollum through a body double ?

whats the future of CGI in films would be like?

They have to pay for the motion capture and coincidentally... The guy who does the movements for Gollum also does them for Caesar. Someone will still be paid, and there's nothing like real life emotion.

Cgi helps though, it can immerse you in things you would never be able to do and give movies scale. Look at Avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
      They have to pay for the motion capture and coincidentally... The guy who does the movements for Gollum also does them for Caesar. Someone will still be paid, and there's nothing like real life emotion.
      depends on the actor... like do you count on actors like robert pattinson or keannu reeves to stir up your emotions? c'mon dude...

i dunno about you, but the CGI kingkong was more passionately sympathetic than robert pattinson in twilight...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
        depends on the actor... like do you count on actors like robert pattinson or keannu reeves to stir up your emotions? c'mon dude...

i dunno about you, but the CGI kingkong was more passionately sympathetic than robert pattinson in twilight...
        Well, Pattinson is a pretty bad actor. Lol I was talking about actors on the scale of Crowe and Denzel lol. I cant picture a CGI man in Training day or Man on Fire, or John Q.

Comment

Well, Pattinson is a pretty bad actor. Lol I was talking about actors on the scale of Crowe and Denzel lol. I cant picture a CGI man in Training day or Man on Fire, or John Q.
          very interesting to speculate about the tech of CGI catching up with the heavyweights of acting like those two...

im quite optimistic about it... the depths and complexity of human emotion is quite vulnerable to be unraveled by a good story anyway... i remember the "feeling of loss" that andy in toy story 3 had when he finally gave woody and buzz away towards the end of that film...

or the pathos of carl in "up" during the montage in the early part of the film...

those are goddamn pixels manipulating my emotions...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
            very interesting to speculate about the tech of CGI catching up with the heavyweights of acting like those two...

im quite optimistic about it... the depths and complexity of human emotion is quite vulnerable to be unraveled by a good story anyway... i remember the "feeling of loss" that andy in toy story 3 had when he finally gave woody and buzz away towards the end of that film...

or the pathos of carl in "up" during the montage in the early part of the film...

those are goddamn pixels manipulating my emotions...

Thats true and those are great examples.

But a good acting performance can make a movie too. Plenty of bad stories have been carried by good acting. I wouldnt be opposed to CGI actors, I mean even in i Robot which is a bit older you still feel him as a real actor. But real actors also can make you hate them. Like with Joaquin phoenix in Gladiator. Great performance and i hated that guy. Like, my hate carried over from after the movie for like a week lol. I think there's room for both. The good actors will be set apart from the bad even more though.

Comment

Thats true and those are great examples.

But a good acting performance can make a movie too. Plenty of bad stories have been carried by good acting. I wouldnt be opposed to CGI actors, I mean even in i Robot which is a bit older you still feel him as a real actor. But real actors also can make you hate them. Like with Joaquin phoenix in Gladiator. Great performance and i hated that guy. Like, my hate carried over from after the movie for like a week lol. I think there's room for both. The good actors will be set apart from the bad even more though.
              oh yes... agreed wholeheartedly...

just take a look at al pacino in dog day afternoon... he just didn't carry that film... he WAS the film...

ditto with daniel day lewis in "my left foot" and mickey rourke in "the wrestler..."

as for visual spectacle, its quite hard to envision CGI to improve significantly... the photorealism has gotten well, er... pretty realistic...

maybe the 48fps capture they are talking about in the new "hobbit film" will take it up a notch higher... we'll see...

Comment

but cgi actor wouldn't win an oscar award, would he?

Comment

Yeah I mean at what point will CGi stop improving? I mean I've been saying it for years now and its still making strides. I think in another few years it'll just be up to the director and his skill to make it believeable. Human chi might be a while, there's just so many nuances that will be lost (for now) in translation from believing a cgi human is or behaves as realistically as a real one. It has to get to a point where they give them life, which I wonder how people would react to that. I mean gollum, caesar, i robot, Asland in Narnia, etc are one thing, but Im curious about a real human role and interaction with an actual person.

Here's what I'm curious about....do you think it could work if certain cgi characters (and I mean if theyre made as close to human as possible) will carry over as actual, virtual and marketable "actors" and be in more than one movie where they can have appearances drastically changed for roles (all captured by the same persons movements, making them anonymous of sorts)? Weight, fitness, etc etc? I could see that happening, since a studio or team could profit from it.

Im being weird. :|

Comment

cgi will look almost lifelike in the not too distant future - and yes, if made by a good director, the characters made can be on par with the high paid actors of today....

i mean, you can't just give all the credit to the acting virtuosos of today - a lot of the credit goes to the directors who mold their performances.

if you look at a great actor such as ben kingsley - his performance in bloodrayne could only go so far with the guidance of uwe boll....

Comment

Working...
                    X