No announcement yet.

Manny and the 40 million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    I disagree, everyone has a price~ and you don't spend percentage points you spend dollars so if you can't make similar money elsewhere that is a very silly stance. You could say Floyd lost out also but he makes more on average and will make more going forward, so he isn't going to miss it much. In the game of opportunity cost Manny lost.

He could have got shafted had the fight broke records, but I think they could have come to an accord to make those fears go away. It was a starting point not an end point.
    Pac didn't lose anything by not taking the humiliating 40m offer. After Arum gets his, it's a 12% raise over JMM or Bradley, peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      Pac didn't lose anything by not taking the humiliating 40m offer. After Arum gets his, it's a 12% raise over JMM or Bradley, peanuts.
      That wasn't a humiliating offer~ he would have been lucky to pull 40 million from a percentage split.

You need to include the amount Arum takes out for JMM and Bradley~ so his raise would have been a lot higher.

Seriously you are being a drama queen with the hyperbole, be real~

Comment

you don't spend percentage points you spend dollars so if you can't make similar money elsewhere that is a very silly stance.

In the game of opportunity cost Manny lost.
        This is the aspect I think few people are realizing about this. The power to negotiate in this situation was not based on how much of a draw you were (as both of them are draws) but how lucrative was your next best offer.

Clearly both of them did not have an opponent that would pay them as much as the other. But with the benefit of hindsight we can see that based on each of the alternatives that they had, not taking this fight has hurt Manny more than Floyd.

Also I see you using some business vocab there!

Comment

Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
          This is the aspect I think few people are realizing about this. The power to negotiate in this situation was not based on how much of a draw you were (as both of them are draws) but how lucrative was your next best offer.

Clearly both of them did not have an opponent that would pay them as much as the other. But with the benefit of hindsight we can see that based on each of the alternatives that they had, not taking this fight has hurt Manny more than Floyd.

Also I see you using some business vocab there!

Exactly, I said that then also but mainly because Floyd always made more so it stood to reason that he would make more going forward. What you are worth is always your next best option, so if you can do better than that you should thank your lucky stars.

Glad someone picked up, I paid a lot for that vocabulary.

Comment

That wasn't a humiliating offer~ he would have been lucky to pull 40 million from a percentage split.

You need to include the amount Arum takes out for JMM and Bradley~ so his raise would have been a lot higher.

Seriously you are being a drama queen with the hyperbole, be real~
            No I'm not. I feel like many people here are clueless as to how this works, in principle: you fight on your promoters card, and he pays you. You fight on another promoter's card and receive a lump sum, and you get to pay him some preset "promoter's minimum". Makes sense right, either way there's something in it for everyone.

Of course that's a simplification , but most of the 40m crowd doesn't even get past the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              No I'm not. I feel like many people here are clueless as to how this works, in principle: you fight on your promoters card, and he pays you. You fight on another promoter's card and receive a lump sum, and you get to pay him some preset "promoter's minimum". Makes sense right, either way there's something in it for everyone.

Of course that's a simplification , but most of the 40m crowd doesn't even get past the basics.
              Arum takes all kinds of expenses out for promoting the fight and that comes out of the fighter's end~ that was a big issue for Floyd and Oscar when it came to leaving.

Manny was getting a way bigger raise than 12%, if you don't believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
                Both side cause of monetarian reason didn't allow this fight to happen. Too much money and who wants to control this business venture. This fight is never going to happen unless Pac has a spectacular dominant KO of Marquez in a 5th fight
                lol! Floyd doesn't want any part of Pac. Remember when Pac was dominating everybody Floyd should already challenge him but guess what? Is Pac fault because he didn't agree to Floyd useless OST and 0% PPV offer.

Comment

I keep trying to think about this from any other aspect than a business standpoint and I can't If I step into a negotiation knowing the market value of the product i want is 20 mill with ppv percentage Then my first instinct is to offer slightly more than that, which could possibly be 40 million flat.

Its like anything else if you see a product on sale for $1,000 you don't want to have to pay more for it because you have more money than anyone else whose paid for it.

I would really like to see if either side really looked in depth at the possible financial situations this fight posed. Like did mayweather evaluate the option to fight Paq against the option to fight cotto and really try to break the numbers down and see how much he stood to lose if he had to fight Cotto instead of Paq.

Or if paq looked at the other offers he had and really tried to weight them against each other to find out what was the best deal for him. I know boxing is moving in that direction but I am not sure they are totally there.

Comment

Arum takes all kinds of expenses out for promoting the fight and that comes out of the fighter's end~ that was a big issue for Floyd and Oscar when it came to leaving.

Manny was getting a way bigger raise than 12%, if you don't believe that I have a bridge to sell you.
                    I see you're also struggling with this. When they say Pac's purse for JMM or Bradley is 26m, that includes liabilities to Roach, Koncz, many others, but not Arum. That's just how it is, when you get paid by your promoter (or any employer) you don't get to pay a fraction back. There is such a thing, it's called a loan, it's separate from a fight purse.

Arum doesn't lose on the promotion, esp on Pac fights. If he did, he wouldn't be in the business and boxing promotion would not be a viable business anyway. Consider this: there was a pot of around 40m for Top Rank and Arum to split for JMM 3 and 4. Pac's minimum was said to be 26m. That leaves right around 30% for Arum. His "promoters minimum" is thought to be 27%. Coincidence?
                    Last edited by HeroBando; 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      I see you're also struggling with this. When they say Pac's purse for JMM or Bradley is 26m, that includes liabilities to Roach, Koncz, may others, but not Arum. That's just how it is, when you get paid by your promoter (or any employer) you don't get to pay a fraction back. There is such a thing, it's called a loan, it's separate from a fight purse.

Arum doesn't lose on the promotion. If he did, he wouldn't be in the business and the boxing promotion would not be viable anyway. Consider this: there was a pot of around 40m for Top Rank and Arum to split for JMM 3 and 4. Pac's minimum was said to be 26m. That leaves right around 30% for Arum. His "promoters minimum" is thought to be 27%. Coincidence?
                      Promoters work for boxers, not the other way around~ Arum gets his cut but Arum also takes more on the back end.

Yes Arum does take risk, but Arum is good at his job so he doesn't lose often but he has taken baths in the past look up what he paid for Rahman-Maskaev II and tell me if you think he didn't lose~. No such thing as a business without risk, you do your best to mitigate them but nothing is certain.

Those numbers are from where, what Arum says? What Arum says publicly and what is going on for real are not same thing.
                      Last edited by The Gambler1981; 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X