No announcement yet.

reading sugar ray robinsons book

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reading sugar ray robinsons book

i never knew his real name was walker smith and he was originally known as Death Ray.his trainer as an amateur gave him some other kids ID card with ray robinson on it so he could fight that night.he didnt have his own.he kept the name ever since.he got the name sugar after someone in his fight said he had a sweet style and a woman said "sweet like sugar"

some of you might know this im sure but for others that dont its some interesting stuff

Well that's pretty cool. Imo, death ray sounds bad ass and somebody should definitely use it

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
      Well that's pretty cool. Imo, death ray sounds bad ass and somebody should definitely use it
      Even if he kept that name, he would've stopped using it the day he actually killed Jimmy Doyle.

Comment

death ray sounds better than sugar ray

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
          Even if he kept that name, he would've stopped using it the day he actually killed Jimmy Doyle.

Originally posted by Sam Donald View Post
          death ray sounds better than sugar ray
          Sounds better, but sugar has become one of the most iconic nickname in fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by lumiere View Post
            i never knew his real name was walker smith and he was originally known as Death Ray.his trainer as an amateur gave him some other kids ID card with ray robinson on it so he could fight that night.he didnt have his own.he kept the name ever since.he got the name sugar after someone in his fight said he had a sweet style and a woman said "sweet like sugar"

some of you might know this im sure but for others that dont its some interesting stuff
            The way I heard it was from himself on TV. He said that he was too young to get a membership card (for some fight club?) and borrowed the card from a friend named Ray Robinson who was already 16. I heard the same story a few times. With public figures it's hard to get the truth, and they often forget it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
              The way I heard it was from himself on TV. He said that he was too young to get a membership card (for some fight club?) and borrowed the card from a friend named Ray Robinson who was already 16. I heard the same story a few times. With public figures it's hard to get the truth, and they often forget it themselves.
              according to the book Sweet Thunder thats how its told.the kid was from virginia

Comment

Whats the name of the book?

Comment

I've seen his bio on youtube I was amazed how many parallelisms he and Pacquiao has.

Like the huge entourage, the many businesses, women, both dabbled in movies, weight class hopping, both came up from nothing, and as you said the ID thing...Pacquiao had to put weight plates in his pocket at weigh in to qualify as a professional boxer as he was both under aged and underweight for the class.

Stuff legendary champs are made of.

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
                    Whats the name of the book?

sweet thunder

Comment

Working...
                    X