Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much credit do you give Rocky Marciano for beating Joe Louis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much credit do you give Rocky Marciano for beating Joe Louis?

1 to 10, 10 being the highest.

0.....For the same reasons I don't give Holmes credit for beating Ali. There's certainly some things Marciano is deserving of credit for but beating the washed-up shell of Louis isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Picker View Post
      1 to 10, 10 being the highest.
      They're going to ignore this one. If not, I can't wait to see the responses.

Comment

Marciano's biggest and most significant win came against Jersey Joe Walcott, in my opinion. Walcott was a much better fighter than he typically gets credit for. In fact, I'd argue that he was a great fighter. He was every bit as clever a counter puncher as Holyfield, with greater reflexes and more power. He gave Joe Louis hell in a split decision loss that easily could be perceived as a win, and he beat both Ezzard Charles and Joey Maxim, two outstanding fighters in their own rite.

However, while Walcott represents Marciano's most relevant win, I'd still argue that Marciano's win over Louis was quite significant. Here are the reasons, and they are indisputable:

#1. Marciano was a 7-5 underdog vs. Louis.
        #2. Louis had won 8 strait fights heading into his bout with Marciano
        #3. Louis was just over a year removed from being world champ

I'm not sure why people are so quick to dismiss Marciano's win over Louis, but I suspect their true motivation for doing so has nothing to do with boxing.

Comment

Joe Louis was 87 years old when he fought Rocky Marciano.

Comment

Joe Louis was a clear berry pick. You could actually see old dust on Louis's gloves and trunks.

Comment

All the the credit in the world. I understand Louis was great for civil rights etc but he was favourite heading into the fight and as someone mentioned managed to win 8 on the spin heading into the fight. Rocky handled his business simple as.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

4 Louis was past it but not completely (ali v holmes) shot

Comment

It's the same amount of credit I give Terry Norris for beating Sugar Ray Leonard.

Comment

0 credit.
                    The guy was way past it then. I give Schemeling the credit for their first fight but not this Marciano guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X