Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people care about which fighters 'deserve' a shot at the big names?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people care about which fighters 'deserve' a shot at the big names?

Most fighters at the top level have already made millions and they're going to live the remainder of their lives in comfort regardless of how the rest of their careers go.

So for example, when people say something like 'Maidana deserves a shot at Floyd, Khan doesn't' or 'he deserves a payday' it bothers and confuses me. Why exactly do you care about whether or not Maidana 'deserves' the fight, if Khan is gonna cause Floyd more problems and make it more competitive?

These guys make loads of money regardless of who they fight, we as fans deserve to see the most exciting fights.

Originally posted by Truth. View Post
    Most fighters at the top level have already made millions and they're going to live the remainder of their lives in comfort regardless of how the rest of their careers go.

So for example, when people say something like 'Maidana deserves a shot at Floyd, Khan doesn't' or 'he deserves a payday' it bothers and confuses me. Why exactly do you care about whether or not Maidana 'deserves' the fight, if Khan is gonna cause Floyd more problems and make it more competitive?

These guys make loads of money regardless of who they fight, we as fans deserve to see the most exciting fights.
    Neither of them will be very competitive if that helps.

Comment

Because fighting the big names brings exposure and pay days for their opponents, and I want the fighters who have earned the exposure and pay day to get it over someone who hasn't earned anything.

If you're not going to reward fighters for their successes, what exactly is the point of boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
        Neither of them will be very competitive if that helps.
        Maidana/Khan vs Floyd was just an example, how you think a fight between them would go is irrelevant and besides the points.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Because fighting the big names brings exposure and pay days for their opponents, and I want the fighters who have earned the exposure and pay day to get it over someone who hasn't earned anything.

If you're not going to reward fighters for their successes, what exactly is the point of boxing?
          So you would rather see an incompetitive/boring fight instead of an exciting one, because you believe the incompetitive/boring fight would make a fighter(s) more money?

Comment

it's not about money it's about accomplishments

i doubt that khan would be significantly more competitive against floyd than maidana anyway

Comment

Well when it's khan then he doesn't deserve it, not that I think he does or not but they said the same thing when he was going to fight Alexander, they said Devon shouldn't fight him because he doesn't deserve it.

Khan is and still one of the names out there that actually takes on everyone even when he wasn't suppose to, he fought Paulie, Maidana, Garcia, Judah etc when he could have stayed away and fight bums or lesser known threats, he was prepared to fight JMM until nacho turned it down. In short he is a fighter who would fight anyone even if his name is bigger than that fighter, he also has a body of work that most would be envious of, so I don't get the "he doesn't deserve" it BS.

Comment

Traditionally the fighter that deserved the shot was experienced and seasoned enough to make the best fight (or at least one of the best).

Its not like that anymore which is why you are probably asking this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth. View Post
                  So you would rather see an incompetitive/boring fight instead of an exciting one, because you believe the incompetitive/boring fight would make a fighter(s) more money?

Weird.
                  How is that weird? When a fighter earns a payday, they should get it. Maidana deserves a Mayweather payday more than Khan, he has won his fights and earned his place.

It's weirder to just assume the guy who is 2-2 since 2011 and looks mediocre would definitely be more competitive than the guy who is winning fights against relevant fighters, and even weirder to give the 2-2 fighter a shot at the best he never earned.

Again, if we're going to reward fighters not based on their performance in ring but instead based on popularity, what exactly is the point of boxing? Call it WBE, fix the fights, and stop calling it a sport.

Comment

Guys the Khan/Maidana thing was just an example, I mean in general, I wanna see fights made based on how competitive/exciting they'd be...not how deserving one fighter is of being in the ring with the other.

Comment

Working...
                    X