No announcement yet.

Strategy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy

Do people here like to box with a game plan?

Like: trying to make your opponent tire first, or continually hitting the same spot so it gets sore and perhaps unusable or trying to overwhelm your opponent that he'll become afraid?

Or do people here try to capitalize on their opponents mistakes?

I think for example, that Mayweather's main strategy is to frustrate his opponent so that he'll make mistakes.

I think it depends on the fighter and the match up in particular. For example, I definitely think Maidana came into the Broner fight with a clear strategy and stuck with it.

But I think perhaps more often then not, when you get in the ring, things change and the fight may go different than expected. That's where adjustments come into play and your strategy may change round to round or moment to moment depending on what your opponent is giving you. This is why some fighters say they don't watch footage of fighters, they'd rather adjust to what they do when they get in the ring. Some guys may not fight like you expect then you're caught off guard.

But I think it's good to always have a default game plan or strategy at least at a high level in mind when fighting someone. For example, Mayweather says he doesn't study fighters or have a game plan, but he had a game plan against Ortiz which was to back him down. Ortiz doesn't fight well moving back, so Mayweather's strategy was to force him back. Against Guerrero, Mayweather refused to fight him on the inside (Guerrero's style)...I suspect that was a strategy. I think having a general strategy like this is a good thing especially if like at the pro level, you pretty much know what your fighter is bringing to the table where as in amateurs you probably have no clue.
    Last edited by mconstantine; 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Not really...not in the amateurs...

Comment

Working...
      X