Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would you rank Manny ATG wise if he were to beat Floyd and Sergio?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 3, maybe even the GOAT.

I honestly think he could do it. Marquez, Bradley, Floyd, Martinez and then retire in 2013. All those fights could probably be made, except the Floyd fight. If these were his next 4 fights and he won them all he would be the greatest of all time IMO.

It won't happen though.

I think he'll fight Marquez, Bradley, Cotto-rematch, Judah.

Still a great, great, resume of course. But probably not a GOAT-resume.

Comment

imo if manny really wants to cement his legacy he should just have three more fights then quit those three being marquez, floyd and martinez. Beat all three convincingly and without messing around too much with catchweights (re martinez) makes him top 3 or 4 and easily the greatest of the last 20-25 years (since say ray leonard) ... i suppose if someone like kahn or something comes out on top of the jnr welters then he could take him out too to cement it a bit further. Do all that and THEN its at least reasonable to make an argument for him as the G.O.A.T though i think somewhere in the top 3 or 4 is still more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
        There have been several individuals who want to see Manny step up against Martinez, so let's say Manny beat Floyd and then faced and defeated Sergio at 154, where would you rank him ATG wise?
        beat one of them and he's way up there.

Comment

It obviously depends to a certain degree on how he beats them, but I'd likely have him significantly higher than I have him now. Probobaly top ten.

Comment

Incidentally, a win over Floyd would mean more for Pacquiao's legacy than Martinez, even if he beat Martinez at 154. If he beats Floyd then he's beaten an undefeated fighter who's been at or around the top of the p4p rankings for a long while. He'd also be beating one of the finest defensive boxers in the history of the sport, not to mention arguably the "slickest" boxer of his generation.

A win over the bigger Martinez is very good too, but not on that same level.

Comment

In the top 3. Right behind Amir.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
                BTW I expect nothing but trolling and flaming, but It would be nice if those same guys saying Manny should fight Sergio state where they would rank him if he took the fight and pulled off the win.

first, he fought to a complete standstill twice w/ juan manuel marquez
                they have unfinished business
                manny would have to beat marquez (who is older, smaller, and further gone than manny)

if he beats both of them (sergio at the real MW limit for his legit championship, after fighting mayweather)

he's easily among the top 20 boxers that have ever lived

that would be absolutely remarkable.
                and i'd be shocked as can be if he pulled it off
                i'd pick against him in both the mayweather and martinez fight for the first time since manny fought de la hoya

a former minimumweight has never done anything remotely similar to what manny has done
                but he's also benefited from very careful matchmaking

if he takes on both maravilla and floyd that goes out the window
                both men are horrible matches for him style wise

Comment

Originally posted by David Haye View Post
                  imo if manny really wants to cement his legacy he should just have three more fights then quit those three being marquez, floyd and martinez. Beat all three convincingly and without messing around too much with catchweights (re martinez) makes him top 3 or 4 and easily the greatest of the last 20-25 years (since say ray leonard) ... i suppose if someone like kahn or something comes out on top of the jnr welters then he could take him out too to cement it a bit further. Do all that and THEN its at least reasonable to make an argument for him as the G.O.A.T though i think somewhere in the top 3 or 4 is still more realistic.

lol you want to push a name like greb, robinson, louis, armstrong, langford, or pep out of the top five for manny pacquiao?

no way in hell manny is the GOAT, or top 5
                  there's just no way. he's going to need a hell of a lot more than two more big wins (floyd and sergio)
                  he was knocked out twice at flyweight in three rounds
                  fought a draw w/ marquez in his prime
                  lost to a faded morales in his prime

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    lol you want to push a name like greb, robinson, louis, armstrong, langford, or pep out of the top five for manny pacquiao?

no way in hell manny is the GOAT, or top 5
                    there's just no way. he's going to need a hell of a lot more than two more big wins (floyd and sergio)
                    he was knocked out twice at flyweight in three rounds
                    fought a draw w/ marquez in his prime
                    lost to a faded morales in his prime
                    Having close fights with someone of the calibre of JMM is better than losing to guys who arent as good as JMM like SRR did with Randolph turpin, so why even bring the name JMM up? WHy trying being smart when that clearly isnt a smart comment or analogy. Duran was established name and favourite against Laing but lost, and then people make excuses for Duran, but i wont be kind to Duran and wont make excuses for him, even though i was his fan.

Morales was prime and again better than Randolph and Laing and Pac was work in progress when he lost. But the fact that we so spectacularly in the return you can say the first loss was only a tiny blip and minor setback and nothing major.

And he won a hell of a lot of fights since then in amazing fashion against the creme de la creme of boxing.
                    So stop trolling.
                    Last edited by hugh grant; 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

The better question is: How would you rate Pac ATG if he retired today?

Anything can happen in the future to affect his ATG status, so this discussion cannot and should not take place until he RETIRES!

Comment

Working...
                      X