best at weight classes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Based on what?

Because it certainly can't be based on resume.
    Picking Foster over Charles at 175 is similar to picking Joe Louis over Ali at heavyweight, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      Picking Foster over Charles at 175 is similar to picking Joe Louis over Ali at heavyweight, IMO.
      Hmmm, not really.

Bob Foster may have racked up a list of title defences against a lot of Top ranked guys but not on the level of Joe Louis.

Joe Louis is the consensus #1 or lowest #2 at HW.

Bob Foster is not even close at LHW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        Have to put more thought into he little guys but at;

feather ...Sandy Sadler (sorry Uncle Pep)

light...Joe Gans (Benny Leonard)

welter... Sugar Ray Robinson

middle...Sugar Ray Robinson

LtHvy...Gene Tunney (Evander Holyfield)

Hvy.....Joe Louis

the only one I'd bet on consistantly is Robinson! I'll say theres atleast 6 in all the classes that could fight one another and they'd defeat one another also! Ray.
        How many fights did Holyfield have at Light Heavyweight?

Comment

Hmmm, not really.

Bob Foster may have racked up a list of title defences against a lot of Top ranked guys but not on the level of Joe Louis.

Joe Louis is the consensus #1 or lowest #2 at HW.

Bob Foster is not even close at LHW.
          While I do not argue with anyone who puts Louis above Ali....I do believe Ali's level of competition was far greater than Joe's. You picked Charles over Foster and cited their resumes as your reasoning. I assume you picked Louis over Ali based on how dominant he was and because of his incredible and unbroken reign- not on his resume. THAT is why I think there's a similarity.

Comment

While I do not argue with anyone who puts Louis above Ali....I do believe Ali's level of competition was far greater than Joe's. You picked Charles over Foster and cited their resumes as your reasoning. I assume you picked Louis over Ali based on how dominant he was and because of his incredible and unbroken reign- not on his resume. THAT is why I think there's a similarity.
            I pick Louis over Ali because he defended his undisputed title against Top 5 fighters consistently to a historic 25 times. His quantity and quality is why I have him over Ali's quality.

Bob Foster doesn't have the same kind of quality nor quantity to even fathom having him above Ezzard Charles.

It's not the same.

Comment

I pick Louis over Ali because he defended his undisputed title against Top 5 fighters consistently to a historic 25 times. His quantity and quality is why I have him over Ali's quality.

Bob Foster doesn't have the same kind of quality nor quantity to even fathom having him above Ezzard Charles.

It's not the same.
              I said it was similar....the line of thinking.

Bob Foster did actually hold a title at 175. He had a title and 14 defenses vs Charles' zero of either. That plus thinking Foster would win head-to-head is why some people think Foster goes down as a greater 175lber than Charles. It's not as unfathomable as you think. I would rate Charles higher, but understand where the Foster fans are coming from.

Comment

I said it was similar....the line of thinking.

Bob Foster did actually hold a title at 175. He had a title and 14 defenses vs Charles' zero of either. That plus thinking Foster would win head-to-head is why some people think Foster goes down as a greater 175lber than Charles. It's not as unfathomable as you think. I would rate Charles higher, but understand where the Foster fans are coming from.
                I don't think it's similar.

Louis' combination of quality and quantity can be argued over Ali's quality.

Foster's doesn't come anywhere close to Charles'.

Comment

is this a list for the greatest or who is the best at each weight because shouldnt roy jones be the BEST middleweight? I assume it must be greatest because louis is above Ali

Comment

Iron Dan; I hold Evander very close to that division because he was outstanding to watch as a LightHeavy!! In the amatuers I had him at the Olympic Training Center (82 & 83) and he made weight without any problems and was terrific at 178 (amatuer LtHvy) so 175 was a natural at that time. Evander at 175 I feel could be competitive with all the great LtHvys!
                    Its just a personal opinion I have from seeing him work at that weight!
                    He did grow out after the Olympics to a natural 180lbs then upwards but at 175 he was a monster I think he was 150-15 with more than half the wins buy knockout! Its tuff to get KOs in the amatuers especially when your on a elite level with other top notch guys! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      Iron Dan; I hold Evander very close to that division because he was outstanding to watch as a LightHeavy!! In the amatuers I had him at the Olympic Training Center (82 & 83) and he made weight without any problems and was terrific at 178 (amatuer LtHvy) so 175 was a natural at that time. Evander at 175 I feel could be competitive with all the great LtHvys!
                      Its just a personal opinion I have from seeing him work at that weight!
                      He did grow out after the Olympics to a natural 180lbs then upwards but at 175 he was a monster I think he was 150-15 with more than half the wins buy knockout! Its tuff to get KOs in the amatuers especially when your on a elite level with other top notch guys! Ray.
                      I'm sure he was a good lightheavyweight amateur, just like Cassius Clay was. But his pro career had ZERO fights at 175 or less, and it is very doubtful he could make that weight by the time he was fighting in main events. Comparing him to ATG lightheavies is absurd.

Comment

Working...
                      X