Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your post was very helpful MomentRising, thanks!

Comment

Google "punching heavy bag techniques"! If you don't know how to properly wrap your hands and buy the proper bag gloves along with learn some contact techniques your going to injure your knuckles, hand, wrist's, shoulders and possibly back.
      Hand injuries stay with you for life so take the time to learn to wrap correctly and use good bah gloves along with the correct punching forms. Ray.

Comment

Great, thanks man. Right now I'm using a light bag for practice but I've been thinking of getting a heavy bag for a long time. I'll do some research and check out heavy bag punching techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Find a boxing trainer, no fighter does anything in the sport without a teacher/trainer, its impossible to succeed!
          Ray (trainer for over 50 yrs)
          Pretty much this for learning how to punch with proper technique, even after you learn if you try and practice alone, over time you will develop bad habits because you can't see exactly what you are doing. This happened to me but when I started working with my trainer from my teens a few years later he pointed out things I was doing wrong and how to correct them so I was mindful of them and over time some technical issues were corrected.

As for him just getting stronger, he can lift and do body resistance work on his own but I would watch some videos and read instruction on technique as well. Small things like looking straight forward for example as opposed to down can make a huge difference when working with weights and cause or prevent injury depending on what exercise you perform.

Rest is also very important, alot of teens getting into fitness think more training= better results but it doesn't.

Comment

Don't forget to run. You need cardio. Eat healthy of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Google "punching heavy bag techniques"! If you don't know how to properly wrap your hands and buy the proper bag gloves along with learn some contact techniques your going to injure your knuckles, hand, wrist's, shoulders and possibly back.
              Hand injuries stay with you for life so take the time to learn to wrap correctly and use good bah gloves along with the correct punching forms. Ray.
              I disagree with your hand injury being with you for life. I've strengthened my hands through rigorously punching the bag for over a decade. Sometimes when I was younger, I'd get my wrists injured due to the fact I don't wear handwraps (not that I'm suggesting not to). After a few weeks, it gets healed and back to normal. And I've injured it dozens of times at the beginning lol. Anyway I recommend everyone else to have handwraps and gloves. It prevents your knuckle's skin to peel off because if you keep punching the bag several hundred times at once, that part of your hands become dehydrated. Recently when I started to hit the bag several thousand times, it's much better to have those on hand. Oh yes, I almost forgot sometimes your skin gets peeled off if the friction towards the bag is too fast at the surface of your punch.

Anyway my theory is that if you start punching like a crazy maniac earlier on at the time you hit puberty, the more likelihood of you reconditioning your hands' form to be resilient and better structured to hit hard.

@coolfield7: No problem

Comment

Working...
              X