No announcement yet.

A day of shame from the past for the USA: Hiroshima

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vorgaphe View Post
    I totally agree that it was a race. The race switched from Germany to the USSR once it became clear that the war in Europe was only a matter of time. As for the bolded area, this was the logic applied by the Allied High Command on the matter - and is totally logical. I just think that although it was the logical decision to make in hindsight I don't think it saved any lives.

The total lack of resistance of any kind, even in regions relatively unaffected by the war, makes me think that the invasion would have been, in relative terms, almost unopposed. There is a school of historical thought that believes that Japan was on the brink of surrender anyway as a result of the conventional bombing anyway. Also, the news and the understanding of the bombings took time to spread around the country (understandable as the mainland is 4 islands and Japan was not blessed with a great infrastructure at the time) yet even in regions unaware of the bombings, Allied forces still encountered no resistance.
    Well that could be argued but in the end, when they had the technology, they decided to use it. Again, I think even if it did save lives, I can't imagine something like this happening and can't condone it no matter how hard I try.

War is just brutal enough as it is, and nukes are on another level. Like Einstein said, he wishes his work didn't lead to this technology.

Comment

even if the population didn't fight.

there was still 4,000,000 + japanese soldiers, sailors, airmen to fight.

they lost of course they were sending out peace feelers.

that doesn't mean they weren't gonna fight still.

Comment

call me biased but for what they did, they were asking for it...bombs away mother****ers

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
          Dropping the bomb was just the US trying to show the rest of the world how big and strong and powerful they were. It had nothing at all to do with ending the war. Japan was ready to surrender before the bomb was dropped but the US wanted much stricter terms of surrender including the abolition of the Emperor, which Japan refused. So they dropped the bomb. Japan still refused the US terms. So they dropped the second bomb. Japan still refused the terms. Finally the Allies accepted the original surrender proposal that was offered before even one bomb was dropped.

They were dropped for no other reason but a show of ultimate force and they should have led to war crimes charges against the President of the US. But as usually happens, history is written by the winners, not the losers and the bombs were presented as the only way to get Japan to surrender. A total fallacy.
          japanese accepted the potsdam terms. which they didn't before.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
            call me biased but for what they did, they were asking for it...bombs away mother****ers
            the millions killed by the japs weren't crying for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              the millions killed by the japs weren't crying for them.

after the death march in bataan, i kinda wish we woulda dropped 3 for good measure

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                after the death march in bataan, i kinda wish we woulda dropped 3 for good measure
                you know they had plans to use biological and chemical weapons in philippines?

you know they had a plan to attack so. california with bubonic plague?

Comment

japan began it's atomic bomb program in 1941.

but i'm sure they wouldn't have used it..... unlike the evil americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
                    Wales don't even have planes nor food in the fridge!.

Not according to this picture

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                      japanese accepted the potsdam terms. which they didn't before.
                      Exactly. The amount of ignorance about basic history on the other side is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X