Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it right for a champion to act like Calzaghe did?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr._Pink View Post
    i'm not gonna blame joe but seriously look at joe's promoter.

frank warren is a clingy mother who protects his golden eggs.

joe is not the first great fighter frank had that he overprotected you know.
    other way around buddy. joe demanded easy paydays against overmatched bums. warren wanted to make big fights joe would not let him. at the end of their stint warren wanted pavlik joe ducked him and fought a shot roy jones. lets not pretend joe wanted challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian View Post
      He wanted to beat roy at his own game he went a bit overboard but... hey, what can u do?
      sounds better if you add HE at the beginning of the sentence on your sig.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        other way around buddy. joe demanded easy paydays against overmatched bums. warren wanted to make big fights joe would not let him. at the end of their stint warren wanted pavlik joe ducked him and fought a shot roy jones. lets not pretend joe wanted challenges.
        i'm not privy to insider stuff on joe's career.

all i know is from what i know of his promoter...... i'd be quicker to blame warren.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
          I don't know how bad it was. But Roy does the same **** you talking about. He used to tatto boxers have them ready to be ko'd then he steps off the gas and starts clowning and playing, don't know if Calzaghe can do much worse. Could be Roy just got a taste of his own medicine.

this was different because it was the death of a fighters career. Calzaghe basically buried Roy Jones Jr. career and pissed on the casket. Roy did that stuff in his prime, against fighters who were either that their best or good fighters who were somewhat passed it. You could make the argument he clowned Tito, but honestly, he was just putting on a show for the fans. When Joe does it, it seems like he just being a jerk. I thought the same thing when did it against Manfredo too, so its not just a Roy jones thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr._Pink View Post
            i'm not gonna blame joe but seriously look at joe's promoter.

frank warren is a clingy mother who protects his golden eggs.

joe is not the first great fighter frank had that he overprotected you know.
            your probably right, i was just stating what jones himself said that he chose not to fight calzaghe

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
              Yeah guys, it's only boxing.

Seriously, if it would've been any other opponet that Joe did that to tonight I wouldn't have even noticed it. But it wasn't just any other guy, it was a legend who was on his way out.

And boxers have been doing it the respectful way long before Joe Calzaghe was even born. There's a certain amount of respect you should show an aged legend when you've got them in trouble.

There are numerous examples of this ranging from how Rocky Marciano handled the fight with Joe Louis, to how Larry Holmes handled the fight with Ali.

You do it in a respectful manner, it's an unwritten law.
              Anybody going to rebutt this?

Comment

Joe had a lot of respect for RJJ, the fight itself shows that. He agreed to fight RJJ for 50/50, he embraced him at the end of the fight, and he was respectful in the post-fight interview. Anything he does during the fight, that's his in-ring character.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian View Post
                  He wanted to beat roy at his own game he went a bit overboard but... hey, what can u do?
                  Its not the biggest deal in the world. its just something to discuss after the fight...

Joe won, i'm suggesting to take the win back. lol

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ The Truth View Post
                    You could make the argument he clowned Tito, but honestly, he was just putting on a show for the fans. When Joe does it, it seems like he just being a jerk. I thought the same thing when did it against Manfredo too, so its not just a Roy jones thing....

One could make the argument that Joe was putting on a show for the fans.

Or, when Roy does it, it seems like hes just being a jerk.

Comment

And for the record, I'm not ****ting on Joe. I made a thread talking about how he finally earned some of my respect tonight. Though I knew he would win it beforehand.

I'm just saying there's a right way to take out a legend, and a wrong way. And Joe seemed a bit classless tonight, though I'm not taking anything away from his performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X