Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jessie Vargas Drops, Stops Sadam Ali To Capture WBO Crown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where r all those East Coast slick talking cats that were talking all that noise about their boy Ali having to much skeelz? Lmfao, how does crow taste? #chicanopower #warvargas #wardiaz

Comment

Originally posted by jose.sooto View Post
      Vargas victory last night is a pretty fckin big deal. Son stopped an undefeated fighter with Olympian pedigree. I used to sht on Jessie Vargas all the time, calling him names like Jesse VERGAS and laughing at the thought of #48 vs Vargas. Now I WANT to see Jessie Vargas square off against #48 and i believe he has a pretty decent chance at taking it! lets go #THANEWGENERATION, son.
      I don't take your posts seriously. They're too emotional and fanboyish. You know nothing when you bash Bradley as if he's some average boxer just to denigrate #48. Very biased **** like that should be banned from this site.

Look at the schooling he did to Vargas.

Bradley would beat Pac in their forthcoming rematch. Worse, it's another controversial decision.
      Last edited by brettWall; 03-06-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
        What does Haymon-affiliated mean? The WBA/WBC titles are with Haymon fighters, the IBF is a matchroom title under Hearn, who only uses Haymon for his unknown fighters, or semi-decent fights in the US. Not sure what you mean there

Anyway great win for Vargas. Really made a fan out of me. Didnt know too much about Ali other than the Abregu fight
        WBC champion: Danny Garcia (Haymon-affilliated)
        [9 of the WBC's top 15 contenders have some tie to Haymon; 3 of the 15 are with Top Rank/Golden Boy]

WBA champion: Keith Thurman (Haymon-affiliated)
        [no mandatory challenger is called for "super" champion]

IBF champion: Kell Brook (Matchroom Sport)
        [Hearn does a ton of business with Haymon, with nearly no business done with HBO; if you can point to an instance, let me know]

Comment

Originally posted by LOWBLOW_CHAMP View Post
          great fight between 2 young up and comers. ali will learn from this, vargas learned from his experiences and ali should as well
          ^^^^
          Good fight. Vargas finally fought like a guy that knows he has pop. Even before the Bradley fight I felt like this guys problem was not sitting down on his shots properly, I can't speculate why, but it seemed pretty clear he wasn't:

Before the Bradley fight:
          Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post
          he dropped memo and they're doing vada testing for this fight. Vargas doesn't look that soft tho, he's solid. he actually has a good frame that looks like he could produce some power with better technique...which is why I'm curious to see how Morales helps him...

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            WBC champion: Danny Garcia (Haymon-affilliated)
            [9 of the WBC's top 15 contenders have some tie to Haymon; 3 of the 15 are with Top Rank/Golden Boy]

WBA champion: Keith Thurman (Haymon-affiliated)
            [no mandatory challenger is called for "super" champion]

IBF champion: Kell Brook (Matchroom Sport)
            [Hearn does a ton of business with Haymon, with nearly no business done with HBO; if you can point to an instance, let me know]
            Hearn works with any American promoter/network, whoever suits his needs. Plenty of Matchroom fights have been on HBO (being an official client of the Matchroom brand), Showtime or whatever. Brook can fight Bradley if he wanted to (and Bradley/Arum wanted to) and he can fight Garcia if he wanted to. Not sure where you're getting the 'affiliation' from as Hearn does whatever suits him best.

A few HBO instances for you:

Burns vs Crawford
            Froch vs Groves 2
            Geale vs Barker

His primary association is with Sky and the UK audience, so most of his fights don't end up on US TV

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
              Hearn works with any American promoter/network, whoever suits his needs. Plenty of Matchroom fights have been on HBO (being an official client of the Matchroom brand), Showtime or whatever. Brook can fight Bradley if he wanted to (and Bradley/Arum wanted to) and he can fight Garcia if he wanted to. Not sure where you're getting the 'affiliation' from as Hearn does whatever suits him best.

A few HBO instances for you:

Burns vs Crawford
              Froch vs Groves 2
              Geale vs Barker

His primary association is with Sky and the UK audience, so most of his fights don't end up on US TV
              Crawford fights for Top Rank, HBO's house promoter in 2014, and Geale-Barker was fought out of New Jersey (credit for Froch-Groves II).

Matchroom cards/fights on Showtime (off the top of my head):
              -Frampton-Quigg
              -Degale-Bute
              -Porter-Brook
              -Brook-Ion
              (likely Brook-Bizier)
              (likely Martin-Joshua)

If you honestly think that Top Rank is going to let Bradley go to the UK, for Top Rank to play second fiddle, you're fooling yourself.

Hearn's sole association, tbh, is with Sky Sports; I doubt that HBO bends to Sky Sports either. Showtime, for the fights that they think their audience could be interested in, have shown themselves willing to work with Sky Sports (you can even go back to the time that Showtime decided to put interest behind showing Ricky Hatton).

No Matchroom bouts on HBO over the second half of 2014, 2015, or planned for 2016. If you have a single fighter from Matchroom that HBO has shown any interest in, let it be known.

Comment

I was, uh, one the Vargas detractors, and I'm man enough to admit that he proved me wrong . He was a human speed bag for Timothy Bradley!

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Crawford fights for Top Rank, HBO's house promoter in 2014, and Geale-Barker was fought out of New Jersey (credit for Froch-Groves II).

Matchroom cards/fights on Showtime (off the top of my head):
                  -Frampton-Quigg
                  -Degale-Bute
                  -Porter-Brook
                  -Brook-Ion
                  (likely Brook-Bizier)
                  (likely Martin-Joshua)

If you honestly think that Top Rank is going to let Bradley go to the UK, for Top Rank to play second fiddle, you're fooling yourself.

Hearn's sole association, tbh, is with Sky Sports; I doubt that HBO bends to Sky Sports either. Showtime, for the fights that they think their audience could be interested in, have shown themselves willing to work with Sky Sports (you can even go back to the time that Showtime decided to put interest behind showing Ricky Hatton).

No Matchroom bouts on HBO over the second half of 2014, 2015, or planned for 2016. If you have a single fighter from Matchroom that HBO has shown any interest in, let it be known.
                  So what you're saying, is that Matchroom works with any promoter where theres interest. Like I said. Whoever the US-based opponent's promoter is, whether its Haymon or Arum. You can see the lack of loyalty to any side, with his biggest fights Froch-Groves 2 and Quigg-Frampton going to separate channels.

What we see overall is a pretty short list of international Matchroom fights, and I don't see any bias for any promoter in particular. Showtime isn't necessarily Haymon, so I dunno why you're claiming Hearn is Haymon-affiliated, enough to explicitly post about it.

I dunno where the idea of bending over for anyone came from. it certainly wasn't me. Bradley-Brook would certainly be in the US on both HBO/Sky Sports (probably Box Office), unless Bradley's stock goes down or Brook becomes some huge star. Hearn's other stars in Joshua and Degale currently fight in divisions where HBO have no notable fighters signed

Comment

I have seen a few Ali fights, and due to his speed, and power I picked him to beat Vargas. I have never liked Vargas's style, and thought of him as a fighter with decent level skill but no real stand out attribute. Ok speed, power, chin, and stamina, but nothing amazing.

In this fight and his Bradley fight I actually appreciate him trying to go for the KO. I agree that he was horribly outclassed by Bradley (who I rate highly), but part of that was his trainer situation, and going with the wrong game plan. Again speed kills, and Bradley is very hard to catch (Remember the Marquez fight or countless other Bradley fights, except his Ruslan match). But Vargas is an interesting fighter.

I actually disliked him before entering this fight but the fact is he has great confidence in himself, and this will lead to very exciting fights. I would love for him to be matched with some Haymon fighters (probably doesn't happen) to see his true level.

Does Vargas get brutally destroyed by Thurman, Brook, Porter, Khan, Garcia? I am not so sure.

In the Ali fight it was interesting to see how he was able to take away Sadam's offense. Ali's punches were not landing flush after round 3. He does some subtle defensive moves that are hard to appreciate until you analyze the film.

Another interesting thing about Vargas is he perfected the punch which I assume he models after Marquez. All his other punches are probably C+ to B- level in power, but when he gets leverage on that right hay maker that punch hits with enough force to drop, or hurt anyone at 147 (hurting Bradley who has a great chin shows this). Who can't appreciate someone who increases their ability when they find they have short comings?

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
                      Didn't really care much about this Ali guy. I didn't even remember him. Saw one of his fights in the past only briefly, then went to do some chores and waited for the next fight. I didn't like his boring style of hit and not get hit **** most fake fans like overrating and raving about. (Some boxers take such **** literally and never venture into something natural to them.)

Exactly the opposite of Vargas when it comes to willingness to take risks. What can you not like about Vargas? Although I criticized him for focusing too much on knocking Bradley out, which cost him to lose rounds. He clearly didn't listen to Morales, who was his trainer at that time. Of course, he may not have been able to compete with Bradley's skills, but at least he could have looked better and learned something from the experience.
                      Ali seems to have the same problem right now that Khan never got rid of, which is relying on speed but not having much a boxing brain. He doesn't do a very good job setting traps or controlling the fight, and if his speed doesn't overwhelm his opponents then he has no more ideas.

Comment

Working...
                      X