No announcement yet.

Olympic games are almost here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic games are almost here

Starts on 28th July, how about we get an Olympic games boxing thread/amateur boxing thread going?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_..._Qualification

What boxers are you looking forward to seeing in particular?

Lightweights

Vasyl Lomachenko (60 kg) - regarded p4p best Amateur

Jose Ramirez (60 kg)

Please if you follow the amateur game please share your thoughts especially, not really clued up as much as some here. Who are the top Cubans to look out for?
    Last edited by RichCCFC; 05-22-2012, 03:26 PM.

Lomachenko is the guy I'm looking forward to the most in boxing terms, but Anthony joshua is the guy who could really make some noise and make boxing electric at the games. Expecting the Ukranians to do well, GB to pick up medals (partly due to home crowd) and the US and Cuba to regress again.

Comment

(USA)

I'm so excited for the olympics I can't wait! And real good thread, I think we definitely should have some coverage of our boxing team on here, especially since we actually have a very solid team to what I hear. I watched Michael Hunter qualify in Brazil, he's a heavyweight who looks very good, he's a rather small looking heavyweight tho from what I gather.

According to Bleacher report these guys have the best chance to capture olympic gold:

1. Rau'shee Warren (Claims he has the Strongest chance)
      2. Joseph Diaz
      3. Errol Spence

I'm gonna keep an eye out for Jose Ramirez, Joseph Diaz, and Michael Hunter
      Last edited by EdWins; 05-22-2012, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I'll be really keeping an eye on E.J. (Errol Spence). Trained at the same gym as him for a while.

Comment

Ill be looking out for Paddy Barnes (Ireland).

Bronze medalist last time round. Looking to improve on that even though he had a poor world championships he got a gold in the Commonwealth Games. light FlyW.

And Katie Taylor (Ireland 60kg) is bound to be the favourite to win Gold being a 4 time world championships gold medalist and 5 time Euro gold medalist.

Ive heard a lot about Anthony Joshua (GB) but havent seen him yet so looking forward to see if he lives up to the hype and brings the gold home at 91kg

Comment

War Anthony Joshua!!!!!!

Dude looks like he stepped out of Greek Mythology. I'm already a huge fan of him and he arguably won the World Amateur Championships but it was very, very close (the home town boxer won).

He wasn't even supposed to be in Team GB until a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
              Lomachenko is the guy I'm looking forward to the most in boxing terms, but Anthony joshua is the guy who could really make some noise and make boxing electric at the games. Expecting the Ukranians to do well, GB to pick up medals (partly due to home crowd) and the US and Cuba to regress again.
              The US team is actually very strong. They won't regress at all. Even if they didn't do well I find it hard to believe that they won't get more than 1 bronze. The team is pretty strong and imo has 4 or 5 guys that have a legit shot at gold. This is the best team Americas had since maybe 1992.

Comment

Lomachenko is the one im looking to the most

Also Anthony Joshua and a local guy from Staten Island Marcus Browne

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  Lomachenko is the one im looking to the most

Also Anthony Joshua and a local guy from Staten Island Marcus Browne
                  Lomachenko is gonna have to impress big time. I thought Rameriz actually beat him. Both guys are really good and should be decent pros. Problem with Lomachenko is that size.

Comment

Sucks I won't be able to watch it

Comment

Working...
                    X