No announcement yet.

Wlad's "weak" chin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
    I know what you're trying to say simrugh, but it's just weak man. Stylistically it's his weakest link. You're not going to convince me that Wladimir has some sort of Iron Chin due to the number of times he's fallen down and selected punches he's taken. It's not strong at all you wonder why he protects it with his height and reach yet Pacquiao risks it far more than Wladimir will ever in his career. Bad analogy.
    Well that's the thing.

I am not convinced it's either granite (well I know it's not granite as Vitali would have survived those Sanders punches and he's the definition of granite chin) or bad.

There is just no enough proof for saying Wlad has a bad chin. I think it's good, not great, but good chin. Combine with his exceptional defense I see it very unjustified that most of the ATG match-ups Wlad looses due his chin.

Moreover, I think his chin has improved with time (like Foreman's) and that it wasn't that bad to start with.

Comment

31.58 lol

Seriously what the hell was Delboy doing? lol

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        It may well of but Wladimir would never get hit with a shot like that in a million years. I mean WTF was Chisora even doing? lol

It actually appeared like Chisora was attempting a tennis serve
        Absolutely. As I said, that's part of what makes him great. He doesn;t get hit with many big shots these days....especially against smaller guys.

I've seen that fight about 20 times and still don't know what Chisora was thinking at that moment. He was getting tagged with right hands throughout the round then appeared to literally chase Haye...then ran face first towards him and got flattened.

Comment

wladimir is a great fighter and has been the best heavyweight in the world for some time. by those standards he does not have a spectacular chin. is it glass? no. can he be shaken easier than other great HW? yes.

Comment

Holyfield is a good example of a great chin, Here in this clip he takes a short right hand to the body then a left hook to the chest, followed by a straight right hand. Then Tyson throws two consecutive uppercuts followed by a left hook to the body-short right and a huge uppercut that lands flush on the chin. Holyfield is still on his feet. Tough SOB.

Even add Round 10 Bowe bout, Cooper, damn just add all his fights man.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              wladimir is a great fighter and has been the best heavyweight in the world for some time. by those standards he does not have a spectacular chin. is it glass? no. can he be shaken easier than other great HW? yes.
              Good post!

I can agree with that. My point is Wlad's chin is not nowhere near that bad that just on that merit he looses majority of ATG match ups.

Comment

People say Wlad got a weak chin not only based on his 3 knock out defeats.

It's because he is one of the few Heavyweight ATG'S who have been floored 13 times.

(I can't think of another tbh)

13 times.
                4 times against Sanders, 3 times against Peter, 2 times against Brewster, once against Williamson, twice against Puritty, once against Parnell.

This means he goes down easily upon contact. Or at least he used to.

If he had went down against the likes of even a say Razer Ruddock instead of Sam Peter. He might have been in much more trouble

If it was someone like even a 2000 Mike Tyson instead of Williamson. he would have been in a tougher situation

If it's someone like a Tua instead of Parnell. etccc

Mind you.. I didn't even use examples of true ATG'S like Lewis or 70's Foreman. I'm saying even 'good' fighters would have pressured him a lot more after those KD'S

The 3 fights he got knocked down in, his 3 opponents couldn't finish because Peter was always overrated and Parnell/Williamson just don't know how.

He doesn't have a weak chin imo.

He got bambi legs and horrible balance.. Which at HW, it's kinda the same thing. It don't matter why you go down.. at HW you just can't go down this many times

Comment

During Lennox Lewis's chin prime.. nobody could touch him.
                  95-01 was Lewis's chin prime.
                  He took monster shots and that chin did not crack.

Sadly Rahman took him out of his chin prime..

Maybe Wlad is in his chin prime now?

Comment

His chin isn't the best of the best but certain not wet paper like people make it out to be, Sanders could possibly ko anyone with a perfect straight left and his other two losses were due mostly to stamina issues.

Comment

Let's not talk up Wladimir's chin; it isn't great. If anything it's probably one of the worst at HW. Wladimir knows this, and he's adapted. We should be talking up his guard/defence, which, to me, is unrivalled.

So what if he has a glass chin? It'll only be his undoing if someone can reach it.
                      Last edited by yoz; 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X