Corbett spars Tunney - PURE GOLD

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Ok,,,

Micheal spinks, kovolev, Bob foster, roy jones, etc would all brutalize these guys
    If you put any of the guys mentioned in lighter gloves and in a ring in those days it would be very difficult for them to close the gap. They would be used to guys standing square, weight foward to hit.

Historically speaking as a heavyweight Dempsey was the first guy to fight weight foward and he was handled by the guy in this video (Tunney). So your conclusion is questionable at best. I guarantee you this: If you withheld the names of both these guys and blotted their faces and then told an audience who knew about fighters that one of these guys fought dempsey...and then asked them who won?

They would probably laugh and ask if Dempsey had "moudered da bum!" point being unless you know what you are looking for its hard to determine the skills being evaluated. Even in martial arts today when skill is demonstrated one grabs, hits, or otherwise goes right to the other guy. These guys focus on when to enter, how to feint properly. By the time they come in the other guy is percieved as being open for an attack.

One thing that would shock you if a guy like Tyson was in there, at least against Gene, would be how quickly they came to grips and how much a smaller man could work agaist a bigger man at that distance. Of course Tyson might well land...I couldn't predit, but what I could say is that boxers were a lot more stationary in Mike's time.

Holmes was not incredibly large compared to Tunney and was considered evasive with a jab similar to Tunneys (if not a little better)...and he was doing well against Mike until it looked like he ran out of gas. Tunney would not run out of gas thats for sure.

All im saying is that looks can be decieving. I have no idea how Corbett would fare either... While Corbett had methods he was not imo the fighter that Gene Tunney was. Tunney was one of the best light heavies...so good he did what any one should do when the comp is slim at heavyweight, he went up and fought the heavyweight champ, and the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      If you put any of the guys mentioned in lighter gloves and in a ring in those days it would be very difficult for them to close the gap. They would be used to guys standing square, weight foward to hit.

Historically speaking as a heavyweight Dempsey was the first guy to fight weight foward and he was handled by the guy in this video (Tunney). So your conclusion is questionable at best. I guarantee you this: If you withheld the names of both these guys and blotted their faces and then told an audience who knew about fighters that one of these guys fought dempsey...and then asked them who won?

They would probably laugh and ask if Dempsey had "moudered da bum!" point being unless you know what you are looking for its hard to determine the skills being evaluated. Even in martial arts today when skill is demonstrated one grabs, hits, or otherwise goes right to the other guy. These guys focus on when to enter, how to feint properly. By the time they come in the other guy is percieved as being open for an attack.

One thing that would shock you if a guy like Tyson was in there, at least against Gene, would be how quickly they came to grips and how much a smaller man could work agaist a bigger man at that distance. Of course Tyson might well land...I couldn't predit, but what I could say is that boxers were a lot more stationary in Mike's time.

Holmes was not incredibly large compared to Tunney and was considered evasive with a jab similar to Tunneys (if not a little better)...and he was doing well against Mike until it looked like he ran out of gas. Tunney would not run out of gas thats for sure.

All im saying is that looks can be decieving. I have no idea how Corbett would fare either... While Corbett had methods he was not imo the fighter that Gene Tunney was. Tunney was one of the best light heavies...so good he did what any one should do when the comp is slim at heavyweight, he went up and fought the heavyweight champ, and the rest is history.
      Any of the guys o mentioned would make quicker work of them with smaller gloves...

They are pioneers of the sport, and that's cool, but the sport has adapted and grown and they would get smoked now..

Similar to mma,, Royce Gracie, ken shamrock, Dan Severn all greats but would get annihilated by current fighters..

There is a reason why nobody uses the old school style of John l Sullivan.., it would get you beatdown quick today..

Comment

Ok,,,

Micheal spinks, kovolev, Bob foster, roy jones, etc would all brutalize these guys
        BS, Gene Tunney would beat them all, is this video what you are judging the great Gene Tunney from ???? if you are you have the boxing knowledge of a 7 year old. I suggest you watch Tunney in some real fights before you go off half ****ed. Bob Foster may have a chance and so does Roy but I still pick Tunney, he was the complete fighter, fantastic skills, tough as they come, only a heavyweight can drop him and many of them wouldn't land a clean blow, his defense is top class his attack is also great, he comes from a far greater era in boxing than your moderns, Spinks hasn't got anywhere near the heart required to beat Tunney, lol.... the way he cowardly folded against Tyson before the fight even started makes your comparison of Spinks to Tunney downright insulting.

Comment

Any of the guys o mentioned would make quicker work of them with smaller gloves...

They are pioneers of the sport, and that's cool, but the sport has adapted and grown and they would get smoked now..

Similar to mma,, Royce Gracie, ken shamrock, Dan Severn all greats but would get annihilated by current fighters..

There is a reason why nobody uses the old school style of John l Sullivan.., it would get you beatdown quick today..
          the style of John L. Sullivan ??? wow you have film of Sullivan in a fight and good enough quality that you can perceive his style, wow, impressive, could you send me a copy of that film please ??

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            BS, Gene Tunney would beat them all, is this video what you are judging the great Gene Tunney from ???? if you are you have the boxing knowledge of a 7 year old. I suggest you watch Tunney in some real fights before you go off half ****ed. Bob Foster may have a chance and so does Roy but I still pick Tunney, he was the complete fighter, fantastic skills, tough as they come, only a heavyweight can drop him and many of them wouldn't land a clean blow, his defense is top class his attack is also great, he comes from a far greater era in boxing than your moderns, Spinks hasn't got anywhere near the heart required to beat Tunney, lol.... the way he cowardly folded against Tyson before the fight even started makes your comparison of Spinks to Tunney downright insulting.
            Tunney gets wrecked by roy, kovolev, Spinks, foster, etc...

His claim to fame is beating dempsey, a guy that never fought a black challenger, and would be wrecked by frazier, holyfield bowe, lewis, etc..

People always wanna hype up the old school guys, but never want to recognize that they fought very limited, one race competition for the most part..

Pre 60s is all a mirage... There is a reason why gatti is known as a throwback fighter.. Dudes that sold tickets got the fights, just like gatti, but matched up they get destroyed...

Boxing was a bunch of gatti-Ward type fights pre 60s because that's what sold tickets.. But in reality if these guys faced a floyd, tyson. Evander, ali, hearns, jones, hopkins, etc they would get smoked..

Pioneers were great in their day, but would get dominated by modern standards..

How come nobody uses the John L Sullivan stance anymore????
            Same thing with these 2.. Every light heavy great in modern era would destroy these guys,,
            You can have the biggest man crush on them, but in reality they don't stack up to guys from post60s era

Comment

the style of John L. Sullivan ??? wow you have film of Sullivan in a fight and good enough quality that you can perceive his style, wow, impressive, could you send me a copy of that film please ??
              You know what I'm talking about.. Fists way out in front, head leaning back, don't act like a boxing idiot because I know your not

Comment

Bob foster would land one time and crush Tunney,,,, make that dude look like mike quarry..

Name the best non-white dude Tunney/dempsey/Barney Ross/greb ever fought

Comment

Tunney gets wrecked by roy, kovolev, Spinks, foster, etc...

His claim to fame is beating dempsey, a guy that never fought a black challenger, and would be wrecked by frazier, holyfield bowe, lewis, etc..

People always wanna hype up the old school guys, but never want to recognize that they fought very limited, one race competition for the most part..

Pre 60s is all a mirage... There is a reason why gatti is known as a throwback fighter.. Dudes that sold tickets got the fights, just like gatti, but matched up they get destroyed...

Boxing was a bunch of gatti-Ward type fights pre 60s because that's what sold tickets.. But in reality if these guys faced a floyd, tyson. Evander, ali, hearns, jones, hopkins, etc they would get smoked..

Pioneers were great in their day, but would get dominated by modern standards..

How come nobody uses the John L Sullivan stance anymore????
                  Same thing with these 2.. Every light heavy great in modern era would destroy these guys,,
                  You can have the biggest man crush on them, but in reality they don't stack up to guys from post60s era
                  Oh OK LOL.... thanks for letting me know to never take you seriously mate, pre 60's a mirage ROFL...... you obviously are a stand up comedian in real life. You quote one guy who didn't fight a black fighter but Les Darcy did, Willard did, Jeffries did, Pep did and so did the vast majority of other fighters.... yeah no one before the 60's could fight........ I suppose that isn't just confined to boxing either right ?... in a sport where incompetence can get you killed you suggest they can't fight yet guys from modern times who I can clearly see have more flaws than an argument from a creationist debating Richard Dawkins.. lol... yeah the Romans, nah... can't fight... Mongols.... ha can't fight.... Darcy nah can't fight......... unless they are black they can't fight, am I right ?......... stop it, you are hilarious, I can't stop laughing.

Comment

Bob foster would land one time and crush Tunney,,,, make that dude look like mike quarry..

That statement is worthy of Scrotanjabby are you him with a name change ?..... you have a man crush on moderns mate, see that can go both ways..... one punch would knock Tunney out would it ????...... Yeah, that's why he only lost one fight and WAS NEVER KNOCKED OUT.

Comment

Barney Ross fought Henry Armstrong, one of the greatest fighters to ever live, yeah he lost but Armstrong would kill Floyd so whats your point ? I don't think Dempsey ever fought a black man so yeah he had racist tendencies.

Comment

Working...
                      X