David Haye close to deal to fight Alexander Povetkin - 5/21/11

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Haye close to deal to fight Alexander Povetkin - 5/21/11

David Haye close to deal to fight Alexander Povetkin

BoxRec News can reveal that very positive negotiations are taking place with regards to WBA heavyweight champion David Haye defending his title against 2004 Olympic gold medallist Alexander Povetkin on May 21st.

The 31-year-old Russian is 21-0 and the number two ranked challenger with the WBA behind Uzbek Ruslan Chagaev who, reportedly, would have difficulties being approved to box in the UK due to a former diagnosis of hepatitis.

Haye and Povetkin have one thing in common – an intense dislike of Wladimir Klitschko after both men failed to share a ring with the Ukrainian due to contractual difficulties. Povetkin was all set to face Klitschko last year but withdrew leaving a rather bemused ‘Dr Steelhammer’ putting his fist up to a cardboard cut out of Povetkin at a press conference.

In the Russian publication ‘Arguments and Facts’ (translated by Ruslan Chikov of Boxing Scene), Povetkin said, "An important step towards achieving the major goals of my career would be for me to fight with Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko. We had already discussed the fight with Wladimir, but we wouldn't accept the terms of the contract. Klitschko wants to decide everything for you: the hotel in which I live, where and what to eat, and even what gloves I can wear during the fight. Why? By what right? Am I a slave to the Klitschko brothers? Maybe he even wants to arrange my breakfast menu? Boxing against Klitschko is primarily an event which is organized under him. But the event should also be honest and fair to all."

Sound familiar?

Povetkin’s most recent outing was a ticking over bout against Nicolai Firtha in Germany which he won on points over ten after sustaining an injury to his right hand in the early part of the fight. He is now being trained by American fight guru Teddy Atlas.

The Russian is promoted by Sauerland Events which makes the contest about as easy to make as such things are these days. Hayemaker Promotions and Sauerland Events have ties arising from Haye’s victory over their man Nikolai Valuev in Nuremberg back in November 2009.

Kalle Sauerland said, “Haye versus Chagaev would be a massive fight, probably the fight of the year in the heavyweight division. But it is not up to us. Itīs a matter of the BBBoC and the WBA to see whether Chagaev will be able to fight Haye. If not, Povetkin is ready to step in. He is fit, willing and able and more than qualified.”

Source:

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2011/exc...ander-povetkin
    Last edited by Boxing Scene; 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM.

if this fight gets signed and they get froch vs johnson on the same card, then i will be paying to watch it in HD and not a stream....

Comment

Good

About time Haye sorted a fight out

Comment

So regardless of who wins, the winner would have better win than Wladimir and Vitali have ever produced combined.

Pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jesus View Post
          So regardless of who wins, the winner would have better win than Wladimir and Vitali have ever produced combined.

Pretty funny.
          So true, so true......

Comment

number 1 HW fighting the number 2 HW of the world. This is great.

Best thing to do is to ignore the money hungry ******* Wlad and Vitali. David Haye is the undisputed HW champ in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fast View Post
              number 1 HW fighting the number 2 HW of the world. This is great.

Best thing to do is to ignore the money hungry ******* Wlad and Vitali. David Haye is the undisputed HW champ in my eyes.
              Best heavyweight matchup since Lewis-Klitschko IMO.

Comment

Yeah I like this fight. Wish it was Povetkin from 07 do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jesus View Post
                  Best heavyweight matchup since Lewis-Klitschko IMO.
                  Yeah I have never been so excited for a HW title fight. Finally we will see 2 skilled boxers fighting for the title instead of clumsy robots.

Comment

And the red k from the klitschkonians has started

Comment

Working...
                    X