No announcement yet.

Are all beginners this bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all beginners this bad?

I thought I'd start in a beginners class to get used to hitting the pads etc but most of the people in the class don't even know the basics like proper stance and to keep your hands at the chin.

Obviously everyone has to start somewhere, I'm not good either but I just expected that the majority of people out there knew how to throw straight punches.

Man, I have seen people in the gym that can't throw a punch and throw up after hitting the bag for 2 rounds, no joke.

The average person doesn't know much about boxing to be honest with you.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLaHoya1fan View Post
      I thought I'd start in a beginners class to get used to hitting the pads etc but most of the people in the class don't even know the basics like proper stance and to keep your hands at the chin.

Obviously everyone has to start somewhere, I'm not good either but I just expected that the majority of people out there knew how to throw straight punches.
      People cant be expected to learn unless theyre taught. Think back to the first time you rode a bike, you didnt just get on it and you were an expert straight away, things take time. Video yourself training and watch it back, you might even be doing the same things subconciously.

Im not trying to be an ass, just wanted to put across my 2pence as a complete novice myself.

Comment

Yes of course, you have rare exceptions but most ppl have no idea about proper technique and even when you understand how to throw it takes some time to train your body to execute what you are learning effectively.

Comment

I think in a lot of cases it depends upon the quality of teaching.

Getting from a good fighter to a great fighter? I think that often takes special talent. But getting from a terrible, terrible fighter to an okish amateur fighter? I think a good trainer can get you there as long as you are willing to listen, learn and put in the hard work.

Comment

I think it's a lot better for total beginners to go ahead and admit they have no idea what to do. If I was the coach I'd rather have the guy do that then stubbornly stick to bad habits because he thinks he already knows how to stand and how to throw

I'm just sayin don't hate on the new guys cause they don't know how to stand on the first day, stance is important so it's good the coach will probably give them the extra help they need. now they will learn it the right way and understand what makes the stance work instead of just doing their best impression of their favorite fighter, which is what I think a lot people are doing when they start in the gym. it's important to understand how the fundamentals work and not just do them cause it looked perfect in mirror

Comment

Originally posted by DeLaHoya1fan View Post

That's why it's called the beginners' class.

Comment

Working...
              X