Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should fighters lose all their money for not making weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
    In San Antonio, Texas for that matter, Chavez Jr used to sell. His popularity took a hit. Folks at my job today weren't even murmuring about his fight. All while the talks of Floyd, Canelo and El Perro continue to come up. Shame how Jr's shamed that name. Off-topic, I didn't care for his antics in the last round.. Even with him being booed, he showed a much better performance and knew he won. I wasn't too bothered with it as much of the crowd was.

Now, If a fighter tries to lose the extra weight and simply can not.. 20%.. If he doesn't even try, 30-35% for a title or non-title fight would be ok with me. I don't know what the purses were for Salido-Loma, put I think 15k hurt Salido somewhat.. Maybe 5-7.5k extra would've raised a red flag and had him attempt to lose the 2 lbs(I don't think he tried to.)
    Salido got 300k,minus 15k for comission and 15 k for Lomachenko. 270 k

Comment

They should have made him do a day of the fight weighin as well.

Comment

Yes. If u don't/can't make weight then you don't belong in that weight class. If you're doing it purposely to have an even bigger size advantage then stripping them of their entire purse would curb that.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
          I am embarrassed for the sport that I love when a fighter with a 4-8 week training camp can't make weight.As a fighter, you have 2 jobs: (1)to entertain the fans and win convincingly and (2) to make weight. I say that we put a stop to this new cheater's trend and take close to the whole purse.I would let the overweight fighter keep 10 %.

For those of you wondering, I thought Lomachenko did not deserve a title shot after 1 fight..what a joke and against a hardened vet like Salido too. It was a bad fight. Fat guy vs a novice. I don't care what his amateur record says, all fighters should earn title shots.

What are your thoughts on this?
          Should you lose your pay check at work for screwing up ? A fighter has to make a living he's fined. When a fast food worker drops a coke does he lose his check for the week ?

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            Should you lose your pay check at work for screwing up ? A fighter has to make a living he's fined. When a fast food worker drops a coke does he lose his check for the week ?
            I see your point but this is more like a doctor showing up 2 hours late for heart surgery or a lawyer showing up in a t-shirt and ripped jeans for a murder trial. Theses dudes are world champions.

To use your analogy, this is like a fast food worker dropping your burger on the ground,stepping on it, and then watching you eat it. As for me,if I screw up at work...people die (not being dramatic,medical profession)

Comment

None of you have evern been in tip top shape, dehydrated, training twice a day while still trying to shave off a few pounds.

The penalty is fine, boxing is hard enough, sometimes your body shuts down and it becomes impossible to make weight without really destroying yourself. Taking their whole purse would be criminal after the amount of work they put for months.

It would be like taking away your entire week's paycheck if you miss a day off work. If you agree that their purse should be taken away entirely you're a ****ed up human being. Try doing a 10th of their work see if you think it's fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post
                None of you have evern been in tip top shape, dehydrated, training twice a day while still trying to shave off a few pounds.

The penalty is fine, boxing is hard enough, sometimes your body shuts down and it becomes impossible to make weight without really destroying yourself. Taking their whole purse would be criminal after the amount of work they put for months.

It would be like taking away your entire week's paycheck if you miss a day off work. If you agree that their purse should be taken away entirely you're a ****ed up human being. Try doing a 10th of their work see if you think it's fair.
                Yeah,actually I have. If you can't make a contracted weight, then don't take the fight. It can be that simple. Not trying to make weight is shamful. It is your JOB. If you don't make weight in an amateur tournament or the Olympics,then you don't get to fight. Be professional.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
                  Yeah,actually I have. If you can't make a contracted weight, then don't take the fight. It can be that simple. Not trying to make weight is shamful. It is your JOB. If you don't make weight in an amateur tournament or the Olympics,then you don't get to fight. Be professional.

Sure everyone in the forums is in trememndous shape and can do a full training camp like a pro fighter...

Do you really think Salido didn't try? If they didn't make weight the opponent can refuse to fight too you know?

Families depend on that money bro not just the fighter, the trainer the conditioning coach etc. No fighter works alone, it's a team effort. You're supposedly in the medical profession you should know how hard it is to make weight considering how long Salido has made 126. He couldn't do it anymore you can't possibly know he didn't try.

He ****ed up but I bet you've never made a mistake at work right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post

If you can't make weight fight in a heavier division. Don't cheat your opponent by coming in over the weight limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Renal Colic View Post
                      If you can't make weight fight in a heavier division. Don't cheat your opponent by coming in over the weight limit.
                      How many times did salido miss weight in his 12 years at 126?

Comment

Working...
                      X