No announcement yet.

advice regarding the technique of left hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Nothing wrong with the toe of your rear foot pointing towards your opponent, just kick that foot a little to your right, directly, not forward at all to maintain your balance. Keep your feet under your shoulders. Rotate the whole front leg inwards and you'll still be a narrow target.
    When you hook, the weight goes initially onto the right leg; the muscles of the right side of the body initiate the turn. The turn of the left foot is in response to that. It does not propel it; it is not strong enough. In any event your right foot needs to move. The foot goes flat and the toe points off to your right.
    No sir...

First off, there are many correct stances, there isn't just one right way to stand. Saying that, the back foot cannot directly point at your opponent, it can point forward but should be in a natural, comfortable position. I like my fighters to keep it a slight angle off of "straight".

Now there are also many different types of lead hooks you can throw. There's short range and long range hooks which are completely different in their mechanics and movements.

If you are talking about a traditional short ranged left hook, then it ALWAYS comes from the chin. It's very short, compact and minimal in movement and what propels it is the front foot TURNING the hips, that turn the shoulder, that turn the punch over.

The turning of the front foot (while some don't do it) is not strictly for aesthetics. It is made so it is the force that propels your hips to turn, turning your shoulder and then turning over the shot.

Weight distribution is also a key element in the hook. When you are standing in your boxing stance, your feet should be a little more than shoulder width apart (long ways) and your lead toe and back heel should be parallel to an imaginary line that runs directly in between your legs. The back heel should be up, hands up with your fists by your cheek bones and elbows tucked in tight.

Weight should be 50/50 between both feet in this basic stance. When the hook is thrown, most of the weight then transfers to the rear foot, planting it and making it your BASE. You cannot generate power if you are on both toes, or one foot is not serving as your base. The front foot turns violently, turning the hips, turning the shoulder, then turning the hook over with the chin tucked, and elbow up so your chin naturally tucks in to the shoulder when the punch is connected.

Shifting of weight, keeping the head straight and turning your lead foot to turn your hips is the biggest problems people have. I find this one of the harder punches to teach new boxers.

The long range hook is completely different and I'm not going to write another book on that one...LOL

Comment

The past two posts give good points! Remember there are individuals that may not be able to point their back foot a certain degree! It happens, ideally you want the front foot at the opponent then the rear foot at about 2 o'clock would be ideal generally speaking. Switching weight just as the hook gains impact is a skill thats not easily learned, however it helps to learn the comeback right hand to follow through with the weight change!
      Traditionally you want 60% up front and 40% on the rear when you start with your rear on toes!
      You will have an easier time teaching weight transfer putting the hook and comeback right hand TOGETHER! Once the message is accepted then go about the solo hook and weaving underneath or sliding out or whatever you want to do off the hook!
      I see some horrible looking hooks that are pretty effective these days and thats what counts. A huge key is to not give it away prior to throwing.
      Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        The past two posts give good points! Remember there are individuals that may not be able to point their back foot a certain degree! It happens, ideally you want the front foot at the opponent then the rear foot at about 2 o'clock would be ideal generally speaking. Switching weight just as the hook gains impact is a skill thats not easily learned, however it helps to learn the comeback right hand to follow through with the weight change!
        Traditionally you want 60% up front and 40% on the rear when you start with your rear on toes!
        You will have an easier time teaching weight transfer putting the hook and comeback right hand TOGETHER! Once the message is accepted then go about the solo hook and weaving underneath or sliding out or whatever you want to do off the hook!
        I see some horrible looking hooks that are pretty effective these days and thats what counts. A huge key is to not give it away prior to throwing.
        Ray.
        Good points and when I teach my kids the hook, I ALWAYS teach it behind a slip of the right hand (or jab if they are southpaws).

I drill them over and over with that same movement. Slip the right hand, throw the hook, then back into position. I do 3,4,5 in a row as fast as they can.

Comment

Working...
        X