No announcement yet.

Learning two or more languages good for a boxer's popularity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning two or more languages good for a boxer's popularity

Anyone notice that boxers of this generation that have an good understanding for speaking and knowing two different languages have high levels of popularity. Look at the sudden burst of popularity that Golovkin has acquired over the past year or two. Then you have guys like Cotto and Manny who (I admit that their individual styles of boxing and excitement contributed to it) gained major exposure among fight fans. I mean even then if the person is regarded as boring to the some of the public like the Klitschko brothers, they are still known to most of the casual fans. I also see someone like Walters getting major exposure too because he has both english and spanish under his belt,which I guess can make him relatable to those who speak the languages.

will rigo became more popular if he learn english?

Comment

Originally posted by fifth tea sent View Post
      Possibly, I think he needs to add something more to it though, make it so people have something to latch onto. That rapping thing he did in that one youtube video and learning english will most definitely boost it. Maybe he can go the bad guy root like a Mayweather or Mayorga so to speak. Honestly he just needs to bring more personality.

Comment

Yeah,, the more people you can directly communicate with the better..

Unless your Mexican.. IMO I always thought the Mexicans that speak no English are much more badass than the ones that learn English.. Just my opinion but guys like morales, Marquez etc are badass

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          Yeah,, the more people you can directly communicate with the better..

Unless your Mexican.. IMO I always thought the Mexicans that speak no English are much more badass than the ones that learn English.. Just my opinion but guys like morales, Marquez etc are badass

That is true, Barrera was the utter definition of a badass(He decked morales right in the face at that press conference), but doesn't Marquez speak english. I think he did when they interviewed him on espn.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3293 View Post
            That is true, Barrera was the utter definition of a badass(He decked morales right in the face at that press conference), but doesn't Marquez speak english. I think he did when they interviewed him on espn.
            I always thought Marquez had the translator,, maybe I'm wrong or he has learned recently and just haven't seen him speak it.

Comment

Originally posted by fifth tea sent View Post
              Sometimes broken up funny phrases that resonate with the target audience is what matters. In English that is.

Then you have guys like Mayorga, where it did not matter what language he spoke. His demeanor was a universal language.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
                Sometimes broken up funny phrases that resonate with the target audience is what matters. In English that is.

Then you have guys like Mayorga, where it did not matter what language he spoke. His demeanor was a universal language.
                Good call with mayorga...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Good call with mayorga...
                  The one thing that makes him memorable! Gracias.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
                    The one thing that makes him memorable! Gracias.
                    Preciously, Mayorga's in your ****ing face attitude garnered so to say controversy because it was different from the others. It's something that Rigo could or should try if all else fails with his promotion team. Look at Lara, him talking major amounts of trash to other boxers and in particular Canelo opened up the opportunity for him to fight Alvarez. Well that and trying to take the stand at the canelo/angulo post conference.

Comment

Working...
                    X