Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember the hype Maidana got after he KO Ortiz?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the hype Maidana got after he KO Ortiz?

Power will only take you so far. We saw more evidence of this on Saturday night. Matthysse is a very hard hitter with marginal boxing skills. Maidana is even worse. If it was all about power guys like Jackson and McClellan would be ATG and Randall Bailey would be in the top 10 P4P. I don't care how hard you it, if you don't have the skill to back it up, eventually you'll get exposed. People's admiration for big punchers tends to cloud their judgment.

ggg( not on his hype train yet) is probably the best example of guy with power and skills you can tell he was trainer correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
      Power will only take you so far. We saw more evidence of this on Saturday night. Matthysse is a very hard hitter with marginal boxing skills. Maidana is even worse. If it was all about power guys like Jackson and McClellan would be ATG and Randall Bailey would be in the top 10 P4P. I don't care how hard you it, if you don't have the skill to back it up, eventually you'll get exposed. People's admiration for big punchers tends to cloud their judgment.
      Matthysse has pretty good boxing skills but sometimes he doesn't use it cause of his power. He starts head hunting and stops setting up his power shots with his jab. But yes devastating punchers are always slightly overrated until someone beats them.

Examples Hearns, Tyson, Julian Jackson

and recent examples are Maidana and Matthysse.

GGG is on another level though. That dude has the amateur background to prove that he can box and isn't all about power.

Comment

I like how Fans of boring ass fighters like Hopkins and Floyd are constantly bashing fighters with Power.

Comment

I think Maidana has made a pretty good career for himself. That power has kept himself in the running for big fights and he is getting fat paychecks in the process. He is in high demand.

Look at Ward as another example. One of the best fighters around right now, huge skill set, never comes close to losing, but nobody wants to pay him.

Success is relative

Comment

Hype? Do you mean that he was and still is an exciting fighter who wants to hurt people and people like watching his fights?

Yeah these stupid fuking threads always appear after one of Floyds bore fests.
            Last edited by pistol whip; 09-17-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Matthysse is a very hard hitter with marginal boxing skills. Maidana is even worse. .
              nah.

I always thought Maidana was better than Matts. Maidana beat Matts in the Ams, and going by the eye test, he hits harder and has a bit more leverage and is a bit bigger. And Maidana has a better jab!

I always thought that knockout of Peterson was overrated because he was off of his pellets and wasn't the same guy.

And I do rate Matthysse.. he just doesn't have the same elite intangibles of someone like Maidana. watch.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                I think Maidana has made a pretty good career for himself. That power has kept himself in the running for big fights and he is getting fat paychecks in the process. He is in high demand.

Look at Ward as another example. One of the best fighters around right now, huge skill set, never comes close to losing, but nobody wants to pay him.

Success is relative
                I never said Maidana hasn't had a good career. I said people over hyped him due to the power he displayed against Ortiz. Those are mutually exclusive comments. Also, "exciting" fights are subjective. I like a good brawl as much as the next person but I also enjoy the artistry of guys like Mayweather and Whitaker. To each his own.

Comment

I like how fans of unskilled brawlers are always bashing master boxers.

GGG is the next to be exposed, preferably by the hands of Sergio, Ward, Bhop or Peter Quillin

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                    I like how Fans of boring ass fighters like Hopkins and Floyd are constantly bashing fighters with Power.
                    Yeah, how dare us want decisive ends to fights and exciting knockouts when we could easily have 100+ clinches, headbutts galore, and a combined total of 400 punches thrown.

@ these 'tards.

Comment

Working...
                    X