No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn: Froch vs Ward II will be a different fight in the UK

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F!x View Post
    Eddie Hearn (Carl Froch's promoter): "Andre Ward is not great to watch. Technically he's superb but he's not great to watch and he's not a huge draw in America. We found that in the Super 6 final. You only had to be in Atlantic City that night to see how many people were there to watch Andre Ward - not many. Not taking anything away from him, he's an unbelievable technician of the game. But what choices does Andre Ward have right now? I can't name the fights. The only fight that Ward has is the winner of the Froch vs Kessler fight.

I'm telling you it'll be a different fight in the UK. Ward out of his comfort zone, Froch with the same intensity as when he fought Bute. Will Ward come to the UK? I don't know, there's a lot of money for him in the UK.

There aren't other opponents out there, the fights out there that will get people excited, the division is thin.

I wouldn't like to be Andre Ward's promoter though! "
    Meaning they'll be fighting in a phone-booth (see Dirrell/Bute fights) and the winner will be decided beforehand. Why should the champion have to travel to the challenger's backyard? I'm sure Ward is smart enough to pass on that offer.

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
      Meaning they'll be fighting in a phone-booth (see Dirrell/Bute fights) and the winner will be decided beforehand. Why should the champion have to travel to the challenger's backyard? I'm sure Ward is smart enough to pass on that offer.
      Froch is the champion too since he beat Bute for the IBF title. If he beats Kessler then he'll be the IBF and WBA champion. After that, a rematch in the UK with Ward is not only reasonable but also fair since Froch traveled to the US for the first fight and Ward had home advantage.

Each fighter would put their 2 belts on the line this time.

Comment

Froch is the champion too since he beat Bute for the IBF title. If he beats Kessler then he'll be the IBF and WBA champion. After that, a rematch in the UK with Ward is not only reasonable but also fair since Froch traveled to the US for the first fight and Ward had home advantage.

Each fighter would put their 2 belts on the line this time.
        Wrong, there is only one champion at 168 (see: Super Six Final), title belts are irrelevant and we've already seen how this fight plays out, no need to see it again. The only reason why Froch and Hearn want this fight in England is because they believe they can rob Ward there, just like they robbed Dirrell.

Comment

Wrong, there is only one champion at 168 (see: Super Six Final), title belts are irrelevant and we've already seen how this fight plays out, no need to see it again. The only reason why Froch and Hearn want this fight in England is because they believe they can rob Ward there, just like they robbed Dirrell.
          Wrong

Ward never cleared out Bute, who at the time was actually ranked #1 by many organisations and publications, Ward would not leave oakland to fight a guy who was considered extremley dangerous at the time.

Ward doesn't get "credit" for Froch's win, so as it stands Froch is a legitimate champion, for Ward to be undisputed, he needs to beat Froch again regardless.

Comment

Not the best logic I've seen a person use and very inaccurate. Anyone who has been watching boxing for more than a short time knows that rematches can have a very different outcome - for proof of that just watch:

Ali vs Frazier 2
            Lewis vs Rahman 2
            Pacquiao vs Marquez 4
            Cotto vs Margarito 2

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              Wrong

Ward never cleared out Bute, who at the time was actually ranked #1 by many organisations and publications, Ward would not leave oakland to fight a guy who was considered extremley dangerous at the time.

Ward doesn't get "credit" for Froch's win, so as it stands Froch is a legitimate champion, for Ward to be undisputed, he needs to beat Froch again regardless.
              ??? Bute was a hypejob who refused to take part in the Super Six. I'm not really sure what his best win was either... Glen Johnson?

When Ward fought Froch at the Super Six Final they were the #1 and #2 super middleweights respectively. By beating Froch, Ward became the lineal champion. I shouldn't have to explain this...

Comment

Not the best logic I've seen a person use and very inaccurate. Anyone who has been watching boxing for more than a short time knows that rematches can have a very different outcome - for proof of that just watch:

Ali vs Frazier 2
                Lewis vs Rahman 2
                Pacquiao vs Marquez 4
                Cotto vs Margarito 2
                So Froch wins three rounds tops against a one-handed Ward and you think that he stands more than a puncher's chance (if that) against a perfectly fit Ward? I really do hope you're not a betting man.

Honestly, I don't really have much of a problem with a rematch so long as Froch beats Kessler in a fair fight (which I think he will). What I'm against is have the lineal champion travel to the challenger's (who he's already beat w/o controversy in a near shutout) backyard.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*pauses for breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

??? Bute was a hypejob who refused to take part in the Super Six. I'm not really sure what his best win was either... Glen Johnson?

When Ward fought Froch at the Super Six Final they were the #1 and #2 super middleweights respectively. By beating Froch, Ward became the lineal champion. I shouldn't have to explain this...
                    The fact that Bute turned out to be not as advertised doesn't change his position as a respected champion and a big favorite at the time of the Froch fight. Also, Bute was ranked #2 by The Ring at the time of the Froch/Ward fight, and remained so until Froch beat him.

You should really check your facts, Froch/Ward was #1 vs #3, Bute Froch was #2 vs #3.

#1 vs #2 has never happened yet, and you cant retrospectively upgrade Froch's ranking at the time of the Ward fight

Comment

So Froch wins three rounds tops..

What I'm against is have the lineal champion travel to the challenger's (who he's already beat w/o controversy in a near shutout) backyard.
                      Boxing is subjective and your claim that Froch won only 3 rounds is equally personalized. Two of the official judges had the fight 113-115 meaning that if Froch won just one more round the fight would be a draw.

As far as Ward traveling, it's the right thing to do since Froch traveled to the US for the first fight (when they were both champions at the time too). Froch didn't have to do that either but he did it. Ward should show the same sort of bravery and respect for Froch in the second fight, just like Kessler is doing, he beat Froch in Denmark he's now traveling to the UK for the rematch.

Comment

Working...
                      X