Holyfield
    Toney
    Mosley

And the guys who, when it's all said and done, will be first-balloters:
    Ward
    Dawson
    Maybe Cotto
    ... Who else?

Tarver's a close call to me... he may be a second or third ballot guy.
    Pavlik?
    Paul Williams?
    NOTE: This is all barring any PED scandals/other types of scandals.
    Vitali and Martinez don't make the cut. Vitali is best known for his brave, but futile effort against Lewis. Martinez is a flavor of the month type of fighter presently. He's hyped because of the mythical p4p system.

Marquez may or may not get in. Similar to Vitali, he's best known for strong, yet non winning efforts against a name fighter.

Jones, Holyfield, Toney, and Mosley should all get in. I don't think the drug issue will taint their images all that much. They all accomplished enough at their respective bests that those scandals will likely be overlooked.

Ward appears to be on his way, given what he's done so early into his career already. I doubt Dawson will amount to a HOF level fighter. He doesn't stir enough passion and his best wins are against much older fighters.

Tarver, Pavlik, nor Williams are HOFers.

Comment

Originally posted by LIU KANG View Post
      Vitali and Martinez don't make the cut. Vitali is best known for his brave, but futile effort against Lewis. Martinez is a flavor of the month type of fighter presently. He's hyped because of the mythical p4p system.

Marquez may or may not get in. Similar to Vitali, he's best known for strong, yet non winning efforts against a name fighter.

Jones, Holyfield, Toney, and Mosley should all get in. I don't think the drug issue will taint their images all that much. They all accomplished enough at their respective bests that those scandals will likely be overlooked.

Ward appears to be on his way, given what he's done so early into his career already. I doubt Dawson will amount to a HOF level fighter. He doesn't stir enough passion and his best wins are against much older fighters.

Thing about Marquez though he actually won!

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
        Erik Morales
        Barrera.....

Comment

In the Modern Class, they give you 45 names, and you can pick as many as 10, But only the top 3 get voted in. 42 of the remaining names stay in and the IBHOF adds a new 3.

So this would depend on which fighters there running against.

I have a vote on both the Modern and Old-Timers (Where they give you 50 names and you can pick as many as 10, But only the top 3 get voted in).

The people that vote are mostly from the BWAA but they also have a select number of boxing historians, such as myself. A lot of the BWAA members are not boxing historians by a long shot But the BWAA does have information about each fighter up on there web site. BWAA President Jack Hirsh, who has given me the title as the BWAA boxing historian, has given out my contact information to each member, so if they want, they can reach out to me for additional information.

PS - I am leaving for Florida now so I'll check back with you later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
            Hall of Fame isn't Hall of the Very Good.

I am a huge Cotto fan, but I just don't see what he's done recently coming into effect as a Hall of Fame career. He was a phenom but lost to those better than him. If he beats Mayweather, then for sure. Otherwise I'd say he's just under the requirements. Pacman... I dunno, I have a lot of bias against him so I'll just leave it at that.
            I don't like Pacquiao myself, but he's definitely in the top bracket.

The only ones who I can see being reasonably placed above him are Jones, Holyfield, Toney, Hopkins and Mayweather

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
            I have a vote on both the Modern and Old-Timers (Where they give you 50 names and you can pick as many as 10, But only the top 3 get voted in).
            50 modern and 50 old-timers and then 3 from each?
            Last edited by Capaedia; 04-30-2012, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
              In the Modern Class, they give you 45 names, and you can pick as many as 10, But only the top 3 get voted in. 42 of the remaining names stay in and the IBHOF adds a new 3.

So this would depend on which fighters there running against.

The people that vote are mostly from the BWAA but they also have a select number of boxing historians, such as myself. A lot of the BWAA members are not boxing historians by a long shot But the BWAA does have information about each fighter up on there web site. BWAA President Jack Hirsh, who has given me the title as the BWAA boxing historian, has given out my contact information to each member, so if they want, they can reach out to me for additional information.

PS - I am leaving for Florida now so I'll check back with you later on.
              I don't like the set up for voting at all. I think only historians should have a vote in the old timers category.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                50 modern and 50 old-timers and then 3 from each?
                45 Modern and 50 Old-Timers

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                I don't like the set up for voting at all. I think only historians should have a vote in the old timers category.
                In the Modern Class, they have the BWAA vote as well as a selected amount of boxing historians. For the Old-Timers, I know they don't have as many BWAA members, I believe it's much smaller, as I know a lot of members and very few have a vote.

Comment

You can't be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    You've got the obvious guys who are still at the top of the game:
                    Mayweather
                    Pacquiao
                    Wlad
                    Vitali
                    Martinez

The guys who are still contenders but are in the twilight of their careers:
                    Hopkins
                    Marquez

The guys who should have retired years ago:
                    Jones Jr.
                    Holyfield
                    Toney
                    Mosley

And the guys who, when it's all said and done, will be first-balloters:
                    Ward
                    Dawson
                    Maybe Cotto

... Who else?

Tarver's a close call to me... he may be a second or third ballot guy.
                    Pavlik?
                    Paul Williams?

NOTE: This is all barring any PED scandals/other types of scandals.
                    I don't think Martinez, Pavlik, Williams, and Dawson are even remotely close to being HOFers, full stop, let alone first ballot HOFers. Cotto is a very borderline HOFer along with Tarver, although Cotto deserves it more than Tarver I guess (who, in my opinion, is not a HOFer at all). Still don't think Cotto is a HOFer either though. If Cotto and Tarver deserve it, then Vic Darchinyan deserves it too.

HOFers, for me personally, are only the Mayweathers, Hopkins', Jones', Toney, Holy, Marquez's, Pacs, Barrera, Morales, Klits (though even Vit is borderline for me), blah blah.

Guys like Cotto, Darchinyan, Tarver, etc are borderline. Martinez? Nah, not at all. He's had one great year in an otherwise very unremarkable career. Not close to a HOFer. You need to be the exception and show lots of things IMO. Dominate one division, have multiple titles, beat great fighters, come back from adversity, have longevity, show dominance and skill in fights against other top fighters etc etc.

The Boxing Hall of Fame has become, as Japaneseboxing put so well, the Boxing Hall of Very Good to many people today. This is for the great, standout legends of the game in each era.
                    Last edited by BennyST; 05-05-2012, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Yes, well, there is a very, very, very big difference between strong fights, and winning them while being robbed by greed, to getting stopped in 6 rounds despite a good showing in those rounds.

Apart from that, people still forget that Marquez has beaten a lot of champions and great fighters apart from Pac. He's also consistently faced the best the sport has had to offer and, in reality, should be the current 147 champion having just dethroned the P4P 1 fighter after moving up two divisions at nearly 40 years old, despite being a million to one underdog.

Do we say that Whitaker didn't beat Chavez just because he didn't get the official verdict? Do we saw that Fenech didn't beat Azumah Nelson just because Don King is a fiend? Do you really think, out of 3 fights, that it was just Marquez having a strong showing in losing efforts nonetheless, despite well over 50% of people thinking he won two of those fights closely but clearly? It had nothing to do with that and everything to do with greed.

He is a clear cut first ballot HOFer.
                      Last edited by BennyST; 05-05-2012, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X