Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Rigo really that 'old'?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's more important than the actual age is the actual amount of time you've been fighting at the top level.

Hopkins didn't start fighting at the top level until his late 20's, hence why he's managed to go on until 40's.

Martinez something similar, for example.

Obviously there's exceptions but this is usually the case.

I think Rigondeaux could easily keep going for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
      I think doesn't mean skillwise some fighters just loose their physical attributes but having watched Rigo since he was a young amateur id say he has lost maybe a step in speed, but has acquired other attributes that have taken him to where he is. It's a wait and see for me we all will be able to tell if he looses any edge in the coming years.
      That in my opinion is the difference in the greatest fighters, when your physical attributes start to decline you adapt and overcome. Floyd isn't the killer he was when he was younger, but he has developed his style along with his age, Bhop as well. I imagine Rigo as he gets older will also.

It's when the fighter doesn't do that yet still tries to compete at the level they were at is when it becomes an issue, like RJJ. Roy was always amazing, but his defense relied on reflexes and speed, and as he got older he didn't adapt. Maybe his fighting style wasn't as well suited for that as a guy like Floyd, who knows.

I also believe Roy was the same age Floyd is now when he started his rapid decline. I doubt Rigo will face some sharp drop off, he is a master boxer and I hope has enough self awareness to realize he will have to tweak his style as he gets older to continue at the level he performs at.

Comment

Leo stops him late real late

Comment

He's tiny and smaller fighters generally burn out much quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            He's tiny and smaller fighters generally burn out much quicker.

Because most are sluggers

Comment

It's not the age, it's the mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudiamonds View Post
                Leo stops him late real late
                Rigo hits too hard for Leo. Im a fan of Leo but once he gets hit hard as **** to the jaw by Rigo he will clam up just like Donaire and Agbeko.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                  Because most are sluggers
                  Erm no don't pretend you have experience in this sport or have even followed it for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                  X