No announcement yet.

Some respect for Mayweather...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some respect for Mayweather...

Firstly, i am no f l o m o. I am happy to criticise him as much as the next guy when it's deserved.

But only somebody blinded by hate can't respect Floyd's achievements. The man is 47-0, look at the names on his resume. Canelo, De La Hoya, Corrales, Marquez, Hatton, Judah, Hatton, Mosley, Maidana etc.. etc..the list goes on with a huge list of world champion fighters.

People will say he didn't fight some at their best, and it's true he didn't but to go 47-0 since 1996 and approaching 40 years old with those fighters and not have a really bad night, always turn up focused, not slip up and get the wins is pretty incredible. It's not easy, if it was, the fighters named above would have done similar and i'm not sure any of those could have achieved this. Pacquiao certainly didn't seeing as he was flattened by Marquez and took a loss.

There is holes in the resume, no Pacquiao which i feel both sides are to blame and his vacations/short retirements which ruled out other fights like Margarito. Some people will say Castillo I and even if you felt he lost, to go this long and have one fight where people have a mixed opinion on who won is still a great feat.

As i say, there is plenty of criticism that can be aimed towards him and you can justify some of it, but to go through that list of fighters (some prime, some not) and not have a bad night, not take a shock defeat and get the wins is a great achievement and should be respected, even if you dislike everything else about him.

I am just a fan of boxing, i try not to pick sides, may the best man win and all of that stuff. What he has done has to be respected.

His resume I respect, especially considering he's fought guys coming off of big wins. But last night was redicilous. He didn't clinch, he held. Clinching can be a legitimate tactic provided you use it properly and don't hold for a good few seconds.

Comment

We'll put. I overall have respect for all boxers. Peyton Manning is my favorite football player and might be considered TBE in his own right once he retires. But he had bad days, bad games and bad nights. But guess what? Of he wins this year and goes 14-2 during the season, those bad days don't stick with you going into the next season. In boxing, your record stats with you, whether you started when you were 18 and retire at 40 or not. 47-0. 47 times where he could have slipped up or just got caught, and he's done it rather easily. Respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
        His resume I respect, especially considering he's fought guys coming off of big wins. But last night was redicilous. He didn't clinch, he held. Clinching can be a legitimate tactic provided you use it properly and don't hold for a good few seconds.
        Well that's for another topic altogether. At the end of the day he still won the fight and won it clearly, even if it was ugly. That's why he's undefeated. He will stink the place out if he has to. You have to respect that kind of will to win at any cost. It's not great for the viewers at times, i thought last night was a bad fight to watch in general. Didn't particularly like Floyd's approach and didn't like Maidana's lack of will to win. Maidana was up against it for various reasons BUT he definitely didn't leave it all in the ring last night and i think he will realise that in time when he reflects on the fight.

But this topic was about his overall career.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedRain View Post
          Well that's for another topic altogether. At the end of the day he still won the fight and won it clearly, even if it was ugly. That's why he's undefeated. He will stink the place out if he has to. You have to respect that kind of will to win at any cost. It's not great for the viewers at times, i thought last night was a bad fight to watch in general. Didn't particularly like Floyd's approach and didn't like Maidana's lack of will to win. Maidana was up against it for various reasons BUT he definitely didn't leave it all in the ring last night and i think he will realise that in time when he reflects on the fight.

But this topic was about his overall career.
          Ok then. I'm in complete agreement if that's the case. Even though he hasn't been active that much his resume is great. Considering how quickly he won a title a couple of years after turning pro I can't hate his resume. And only one was a catchweight.

Comment

yes, its true, people are actually calling floyds resume great like wuckoo, fml

i guess larry holmes gets credit for beating a prime ali then huh?

floyd beat canelo when he was a zombie

oscar was a retired part time fighter, no way near his best

mosley was finished too

marquez was very poorly conditioned and was cheated on the scales

cotto damaged by pacman beyond belief

the rest are meh, maidaina is a c levevl guy for example as are likes of ortiz and guerrero

had floyd beat mosley, cotto, williams, pac and margo in their prime or even 3 in their prime, then it would be a great resume

instead, he freaking retired to avoid the prime fighters, then came back to cherry pick d level guys or fighters out of their prime

floyd will be remembered for ducking the best, there is no doubt about it, he did duck them when he retired to avoid them and he has ducked pac.

his overall career is good, not great and not bad, but he will never be remembered as one of the best, perhaps his legion of ******s will say it for a while but nope, not a chance, so many better fighters than him who beat better fighters in their prime

at the end of the day, floyd himself has admitted his legacy does not matter to him, he admits it is not good, he admits he has cherry picked, so how can we deny that? to be the best, you need to beat the best, floyd never did that, he avoided them until they were over the hill or cherry picked easier fights

Comment

Well, there is always counter arguments in regards to this. Mosley had just come off beating Margarito senseless etc... which is kind of the point i am making.

Everyone expected Margarito to win but he had a bad night and got blasted out. Pacquiao got hit with a shot that would have KO'd him any time by any version of Marquez because it was a perfect shot. He also got a gift against Marquez when people thought Marquez was done when the third fight was made and nobody give Marquez a shot at the time.

You can pick holes in any fight. You could say Pacquiao only got a good win over Bradley when he had been concussed by other fighters and been in wars. Pacquiao only got a win over Cotto after he'd been destroyed by Margarito. Cotto only beat a disabled Martinez, Mosley only beat Margarito because he was shook cos he'd been caught with his loaded wraps. The list goes on of excuses you can make for pretty much every fight.

My point was that these types of scenarios never happened to him, so he still went through it all undefeated and not slipped up. It's still a fantastic achievement. It's boxing, you can be knocked out by 1 punch, take an opponent lightly, turn up not in good shame, lose concentration, anything can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
                yes, its true, people are actually calling floyds resume great like wuckoo, fml

i guess larry holmes gets credit for beating a prime ali then huh?

floyd beat canelo when he was a zombie

oscar was a retired part time fighter, no way near his best

mosley was finished too

marquez was very poorly conditioned and was cheated on the scales

cotto damaged by pacman beyond belief

the rest are meh, maidaina is a c levevl guy for example as are likes of ortiz and guerrero

had floyd beat mosley, cotto, williams, pac and margo in their prime or even 3 in their prime, then it would be a great resume

instead, he freaking retired to avoid the prime fighters, then came back to cherry pick d level guys or fighters out of their prime

floyd will be remembered for ducking the best, there is no doubt about it, he did duck them when he retired to avoid them and he has ducked pac.

his overall career is good, not great and not bad, but he will never be remembered as one of the best, perhaps his legion of ******s will say it for a while but nope, not a chance, so many better fighters than him who beat better fighters in their prime

at the end of the day, floyd himself has admitted his legacy does not matter to him, he admits it is not good, he admits he has cherry picked, so how can we deny that? to be the best, you need to beat the best, floyd never did that, he avoided them until they were over the hill or cherry picked easier fights
                It's odd you mentioned pac ruining cotto and canelo being a zombie. Cotto was drained too as was margarito and a lot of catchweight opponents.

Comment

Working...
                X