Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official All Time Pound for Pound Rankings: Mayweather is # 19!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official All Time Pound for Pound Rankings: Mayweather is # 19!!!

Time to rank Mayweather. He has had a great career, often rated among the best defensive boxers ever. He does not hold any records (Pac has 8 titles in 8 weight divisions; Ricardo Lopez retired 54-0 (1 draw); Armstrong held 3 titles in 3 weight divisions simultaneously; Robinson won and recaptured middleweight title 5 times; Joe Louis had 26 title defenses over almost twelve years).

But Mayweather, when it comes to fighter vs fighter skills comparison, was near flawless. It is for this reason that I rank him this way in my all time great pound for pound rankings.

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
    2. Muhammad Ali
    3. Willie Pep
    4. Henry Armstrong
    5. Joe Louis
    6. Sugar Ray Leonard
    7. Archie Moore
    8. Roberto Duran
    9. Harry Greb
    10. Sam Lanford
    11. Benny Leonard
    12. Jimmy Wilde
    13. Joe Gans
    14. Carlos Monzon
    15. Ezzard Charles
    16. Manny Pacquiao
    17. Roy Jones
    18. Julio Ceasar Chavez SENIOR
    19. Floyd Mayweather JUNIOR
    20. Pernell Whitaker
    21. Bernard Hopkins
    22. Gene Tunney
    23. Tommy Loughran
    24. Carmen Basilio
    25. Tony Canzoneri
    26. George Foreman
    27. Marvelous Marvin Hagler
    28. Jack Dempsey
    29. Salvador Sanchez
    30. Kid Gavilan
    Last edited by Bald Shavers; 09-13-2015, 12:38 AM.

He's between #11-20.

Comment

#29 all time

Comment

Originally posted by atomicsad View Post
        #29 all time
        After being exposed as a steroid cheat I wouldn't rank him on that list cause we all know the use of steroids started after that first Castillo bout when he was was crying that his body was falling a part

Comment

There is nothing official about these rankings. They are just somebody's opinion and no more official than my opinion or Bobby's opinion or Pete's opinion or Bill's opinion or Joe's opinion. None of this all time best in history pound for pound stuff can be proven or is a fact. There are no right or wrong answers. If you think Robinson or Mayweather is the best then that's the right answer for you. If you think they aren't even close to the best then that's also the right answer. Armstrong can't fight Mayweather when both were in there prime. Robinson can't fight Tyson. How do you know who's better pound for pound? It's all just guessing. It certainly isn't official or factual. It's just opinions.

Comment

ATG lists by anyone should include how many fights they've seen of each guy on their list. Would show how bull**** ATG lists are.

Comment

That is a very solid 1-30 ranking and I agree with most of it actually. Few points I dont:

- I find it interesting Marciano retired undefeated at 49-0 and beat #s 5, 7 and 19 yet he is not even ranked in the top 30. I just find that very odd?
              - Muhammad Ali is ranked too high. I know this is not a popular stance but I feel he is overrated and always has been. His famous name is what gets him ranked so high all the time I feel. I'd put him probably between 12-18.
              - I think Pac should be at least in the high teens or twenties. That "8 division title" run is bs we all know that and I find it hard to rank someone as high as he is who has been stopped as many times as he has (3) and outboxed by people who are either below him or not on this list (Morales, JMM and Floyd).
              - I would maybe consider LaMotta somewhere in the top 30?

I think over time modern fighters will be appreciated more to be honest. I think in addition to Floyd and Pac, JMM or even Wlad K. may break into the top 30 of all time possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                There is nothing official about these rankings. They are just somebody's opinion and no more official than my opinion or Bobby's opinion or Pete's opinion or Bill's opinion or Joe's opinion. None of this all time best in history pound for pound stuff can be proven or is a fact. There are no right or wrong answers. If you think Robinson or Mayweather is the best then that's the right answer for you. If you think they aren't even close to the best then that's also the right answer. Armstrong can't fight Mayweather when both were in there prime. Robinson can't fight Tyson. How do you know who's better pound for pound? It's all just guessing. It certainly isn't official or factual. It's just opinions.
                Well said. This thread and title are extremely misleading and pompous.
                None are official, however, the opinions of most respected boxing historians don't have Floyd very close to the top 20. Two of the most respected have Floyd in the top 50 with Pac and Hopkins right around him.

Comment

I think Jose Napoles the great Cuban welterweight champion for years was better pound for pound than any one on your list. Did you ever see him fight? He was a natural lightweight who could beat any welterweight. The great Mexican featherweight Vincente Saldivar should be high on any list. I'll bet a prime Hearns or Trinidad would knock out most of the welterweights on your list Mayweather included. You may think I am wrong but you can't prove it anymore than I can prove you wrong. Basilio and Gavilan lost a lot of fights as did Sam Langford. Langford was knocked out many times and he fought the same guys over and over sometimes as many as 7 times. It's hard to compare fighters of different eras with different rules.

Comment

He is 32-35 alltime.

If stinky stuff comes out on this masking peds scandal of his ,the cheating and illegal iv s than he drops to around top 60.. word is he has cheated since the jmm fight and finally got caught..

Damage control.

Comment

Working...
                    X