Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who is the greates puerto rican boxer of all time???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is the greates puerto rican boxer of all time???

I would gues benitez or carlos ortiz???

what do you guys think??

Originally posted by ghns1133 View Post

what do you guys think??
    I would definitely place Ortiz ahead of Benitez. And I might put Wilfredo Gomez ahead of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      I would definitely place Ortiz ahead of Benitez. And I might put Wilfredo Gomez ahead of both.
      i came back to this thread to ad gomez and u beat me too it

who would the top 5 be???

Comment

Wilfredo Gomez
        Carlos Ortiz
        Wilfred Benitez
        Felix Trinidad
        Esteban DeJesus

Comment

i came back to this thread to ad gomez and u beat me too it

who would the top 5 be???
          Add Trinidad to those three. My own choice for 5th would be Esteban DeJesus, although there are several others who can be considered.

And my apologies to Kermit Cintron fans for the omission.
          Last edited by Scott9945; 10-14-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

what do you guys think??
            My personal choice is Wilfredo Gomez.

Comment

Gomez over Ortiz? WTF?

Comment

Yes Gomez over Ortiz! Not WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
                  Yes Gomez over Ortiz! Not WTF!
                  I wouldn't argue with either choice.

Comment

I had made a thread around six months ago.

Anyway, from what I've read and studied, I think you have to place Gómez, Benítez, and Trinidad up there right off the bat. As for Ortiz and De Jesús, I can't really comment as I haven't watched or looked at their resumes in-depth.

Some points to consider when comparing the three:

Wilfredo Gómez (44-3-1, 42KO’s)

1. Most significant achievement: 24 title defenses by KO(Longest KO winning streak in history while defending a belt), 32 straight knockouts (3rd longest in boxing history)

2. Most significant win: Carlos Zarate (52-0, 51KO’s)- TKO5

3. Championship belts: 122 (24 title defenses), 126 (0 title defenses), 130 (0 title defenses)

4. Notable wins: Lupe Pintor (TKO14), Royal Kobayashi (TKO3), Juan Laporte (UD)

5. Notable losses: Salvador Sánchez (TKO8 ), Azumah Nelson (KO11), and Alfredo Layne (TKO9)

*Salvador Sánchez was Gómez’s first opponent at 126 lbs, Gómez was never defeated at 122 lbs.

**Three of Gómez’s losses were by KO/TKO, two of which came against a highly touted Salvador Sánchez and a solid contender in Azumah Nelson (who lost to Sánchez himself by TKO in the 15th).

***Wifredo Gómez was a boxer-puncher with power in both hands, primarily the straight right and left uppercut. He was a good body puncher, could fight on both the inside and outside, but had a tendency to take a lot of punishment as his career progressed and he was very prone to swelling. Unquestionable heart, he always fought to the bitter end.

~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~

Wilfred Benítez (53-8-1, 31KO’s)

Most significant achievement: Youngest champion in boxing history (age 17 in his 25th pro fight)

Most significant win: Roberto Durán (74-2, 57KO’s)- UD12

Championship belts: 140 (two title defenses), 147 (two title defenses), 154 (three title defenses)

Notable wins: Carlos Palomino (UD12), Maurice Hope (TKO12), Carlos Santos (UD10)

Notable losses: Sugar Ray Leonard (TKO12), Thomas Hearns (MD15), Matthew Hilton (KO9)

* Wilfred Benítez’s first two losses came against two all-time great fighters in Leonard and Hearns. His first loss against Leonard was a questionable stoppage.

**Four of Benítez’s losses were via KO/TKO, one of which occurred because of an ankle injury, and another one occurred while Benítez was ahead on all scorecards during the 7th.

***Benítez was a fighter with decent power but preferred boxing. He could fight on the inside and was slippery enough to dodge punches. His greatest strength lied in his defense and frustrating opponents with his slickness. Benítez was the kind of fighter who you could corner and still make you miss.

~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~

Felix Trinidad (42-3-0, 35KO’s)

1. Most significant achievement: 40 straight wins before facing first loss

2. Most significant win: Fernando Vargas (20-0, 18KO’s)- TKO12

3. Championship belts: 147 (15 title defenses), 154 (2 title defenses), unified titles in both

4. Notable wins: Luis Ramón Campas (TKO5), Oscar de la Hoya (MD12), Pernell Whittaker (UD12)

5. Notable losses: Bernard Hopkins (TKO12), Ronald Wright (UD12), Roy Jones, Jr. (UD12)

*Trinidad had one punch knockout power at 147 and was undefeated at this weight class. He managed to carry his power up to 154 and remained undefeated there as well, though his power at 160 is questionable.

**Trinidad was most susceptible to knockdowns in the early rounds of a fight, but had a tendency to fight with greater ferocity when knocked down.

***Trinidad was only knocked out once in 3 fights, in his third weight class, against all-time great Bernard Hopkins. However, he was thoroughly outpointed in all three of his losses and was unable to adapt in these three fights. His third loss was against Jones, Jr. in a fight where Tito came out of retirement after two-and-a-half years, fighting for the first time above 160.

I'm seriously considering doing this for the top three Mexican fighters. Any ideas?

Perhaps César Chávez, Sánchez, and Ricardo López...?

BTW, I know you guys are gonna' crucify me for this, but I saw Ricardo López for the first time and he looks and fights a lot like Juan Manuel Márquez. I feel like a newbie here in the history section.
                    Last edited by TintaBoricua; 10-14-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X