Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the classier representative of the sport of boxing: Floyd or Wladimir?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom line: Klitschko acts like a professional and Mayweather acts like a little punk trying validate every negative stereotype in the book.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
      From an article on another website:
      Actually, I'd say most fans do care about his houses, cars, etc. in so far as they love or hate this persona he's got going. 24/7 when he's on draws MILLIONS of eyes, more than any other fighter on that show. Imagine how much bigger he might have been had he been managed/promoted by someone with vision and an understanding of urban marketing earlier on. Mayweather is the biggest star boxing has seen since Ray Leonard and he didn't even get a real chance at the masses until 2006/07. He makes about three times what the Heavyweight champion does and is a genuine global draw and he's better at what he does than all but, maybe, one fighter active in the world.

He is a far better representative of Boxing and Roberto Duran had to wink at him dishing back for the one of the most blatant fouls in years. He gave Victor Golota what he had coming AFTER the referee said time in twice.

The Klitschko are far better gentleman than Mayweather but the name of the game is audience. He brings more than them and in a P4P sense neither one can sniff his jock.

Get over it.
      Last edited by crold1; 09-18-2011, 05:12 PM.

Comment

But could Floyd sell out a football stadium? No.

Does he have over 50% of the people in the US watch his fights, like Wlad does in Germany? No.

If American sportswriters like yourself were not so unfairly biased against the Klitschkos, they'd be more popular than Floyd in the USA.

And by the way, the Klitschkos past two fights were televised in more countries than Floyd-Ortiz.

And Wlad and Vitali made about $20,000,000 each for their 2 fights this summer.
        How do we know if he couldn't fill a stadium? He hasn't tried because he's been too valuable to let out of Vegas. Floyd made close to their two purses combined, last night, with PPV upside. Vitali was on the road to being more popular in the U.S. but injuries nicked him at a terrible time. There ain't an ounce of coverage difference that would make them bigger than Mayweather in the U.S. Mayweather lingered on the fringe for YEARS. It took a mic to make him a star and he got negative press the Klitschko's have never had. As soon as he had the mic, it was all him.

And I'm not biased at all. They're good fighters and a credit of professionalism. I give them lots of credit for that and I've been far harsher on Floyd circa 2005/06 then I have ever been on the Klits. The Klits have never been open to the sort of comp critiquing Floyd was from 2003-the Judah fight (which sucked at the time considering the Baldomir loss, but now looks pretty smart considering its marketing tentacles).
        Last edited by crold1; 09-18-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Why don't you go watch the red cross at work or something. We don't watch boxing for role models or who is more nice. We watch the sport to see talent and who is better than who and the such. I don't think there is much debate that Floyd is a more legendary fighter than Wlad and that's all that matters in boxing. You want role models, go watch Oprah or some ****. This is a sport where people get paid to hit each other in the face.

Comment

lmfao...this guy is mad

Comment

i watch boxing to see hugs,singing and touching of gloves..thats what the sport is all about

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                Why don't you go watch the red cross at work or something. We don't watch boxing for role models or who is more nice. We watch the sport to see talent and who is better than who and the such. I don't think there is much debate that Floyd is a more legendary fighter than Wlad and that's all that matters in boxing. You want role models, go watch Oprah or some ****. This is a sport where people get paid to hit each other in the face.
                I just had this debate with a reader who was e-mailing me and whose basic argument was that the Klits are better people. The Klits are for real good men by most accounts. Their work with UNICEF and political outspokenness is laudable. They both beat a bunch of the men who have held the legit Heavyweight title over the years. I'd want a son to grow up to be more like them than Floyd.

But if my son was going to be a fighter, I'd want him to be more like Mayweather than either one of them and that's not even close.

Foul-mouthed trash talking is not needed to make fights exciting.

Sports should be represented by honorable men, not lowly immature woman-beaters and cheaters.
                No, they should be represented by who is best at them. Floyd and Manny are that in boxing right now, and they play hero and villain roles for all. The Klits aren't in either man's class as fighters P4P, but they are literally the best in the world as king's of the top class and have their place as ambassadors for the game in their own right.
                Last edited by crold1; 09-18-2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Foul-mouthed trash talking is not needed to make fights exciting.

Sports should be represented by honorable men, not lowly immature woman-beaters and cheaters.
                  A lot of people like foul mouthed trash talking. If you don't like it, just ignore it and pay attention to what's going on in the ring. Floyd beating on women has nothing to do with what he has accomplished in the ring and he never cheated, that was completely legal punch. You're getting way to caught up in Mayweathers game, this is what he wants. Enjoy him in the ring, he is a great fighter and one of the greatest defensive one to ever live. No one said Floyd Mayweather was a great man but like I said this is a sport where people punch each other in the face. You aren't expected to be a model citizen.

Comment

I pray to God my son doesn't turn out like Floyd.

However, I'm hoping he'll have the qualities of the Klitschkos when he's grown up.

Manny is truly an ATG fighter, but in every way the Klitschkos are better than Floyd. For example:

1) they would never resort to sucker-punching an opponent

2) they fought the best in their division, never avoiding anybody. Floyd could have fought many people like Casamayor a few years ago, Tszyu around 2002-04, Mosley in 2007 when he was still good and called Floyd out on ESPN, Cotto a couple of years ago, Martinez this year, and of course Pacquiao.

3) the Klitschkos stop nearly all their opponents

4) they don't demand their opponents wear Grant gloves (with more padding than Reyes) like Floyd does

5) they are willing to fight in different countries, Floyd won't fight outside his home town of Las Vegas.

6) they fight regularly, 2 or 3 times per year, so long as they are not injured.

But for some reason, Floyd receives unconditional praise and approval from his fanboys in the American media like yourself, while the Klitschkos receive a lot of underserved negative criticism.
                    If your son was a fighter, he'd be better off fighting like Floyd. That's how it's done. His execution is picturesque. That has nothing to do with personality, though you seemed to miss that.

But, Yep, that's me on Floyd...unconditional praise. LOL And for all the criticism Floyd is open to on comp choice in certain pockets, his opposition quality gap is still laughable compared to most of the better guys at Heavyweight.

There's only one fanboy here. It ain't me.

Comment

Who cares...Floyd is more entertaining

Comment

Working...
                      X