No announcement yet.

is boxing effective in street fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing is the best way to control a street fight

Most street fights are fist fights and a boxer can KO a street person EASIER than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackRooster View Post
      Boxing is the best way to control a street fight

Most street fights are fist fights and a boxer can KO a street person EASIER than anyone
      No way mate.

The only reason I dont do boxing and do kyokushin is because kyokushin is a far more practical tool for street fighting. 1) its full contact and 2) you dont wear pads or gloves. You use every available part of your body that can be used for striking from every concievable position, and also away from compeitive rules, we learn street fighting techniques which incorporate eye gouges, strangulation, groin kicks and joint strikes. You've got far more scope for ending a fight than using only your fists..

Boxing is a very effective tool for street fight but no way can it stop a fight easier than any other form of fighting.

Comment

I would of thought that muay thai would be a good one for on the street.

a well experienced muay thai fighter would probably knock out your average nightclub nobhead with a knee to the chin in a clinch.

Comment

Originally posted by KingoftheAnts View Post
          No way mate.

The only reason I dont do boxing and do kyokushin is because kyokushin is a far more practical tool for street fighting. 1) its full contact and 2) you dont wear pads or gloves. You use every available part of your body that can be used for striking from every concievable position, and also away from compeitive rules, we learn street fighting techniques which incorporate eye gouges, strangulation, groin kicks and joint strikes. You've got far more scope for ending a fight than using only your fists..

Boxing is a very effective tool for street fight but no way can it stop a fight easier than any other form of fighting.
          ok son, if you have effective boxing skills you WILL end a fight sooner rather than later. Practicing your punch for that long with gloves and then punching someones face bare knuckle will send em sleepin

Comment

I tried to post this last night but the internet went down from a thunderstorm:

Originally posted by floydjoy View Post
            if you dont want any amatuer fights just tell them, they will understand.

but yeah, boxing is very good for street fighting, more so than mma unless you are a great mma fighter. most fights are just punching which if not koed end up on ground, your nerves and punch accuracy, timing etc will be far superior.
            Not true at all man, a fighter trained in wrestling and jujitsu is far superior to a fighter trained in boxing in a one-on-one street-fighting situation.

I grew up wrestling before getting into MMA and jujitsu, and eventually boxing in college. I boxed in the amateurs, and the boxing was great experience and very much applicable to a combat situation.

I have had a couple scraps, and the boxing does help a lot. In my experience, the most important things were learning how to react to punches coming at me, and learning how to take a shot to the chin. There was one time when I got into a scrap with at a party, the dude kinda just jumped on me when I wasn't expecting it and I was getting knocked around pretty good. I reverted to my wrestling experience, but the guy had some size on me so I could get him down initially, and he actually grabbed a headlock and started pummeling from there. I got my takedown eventually, and we got pulled apart pretty quick. I can tell you that the boxing was definitely paying dividends at that point, as I got hit a number of times and my face was all marked up the next day. But still, this dude wasn't done and he got in my face as soon as he had the chance, only this time I wasn't playing around and I hit him with a right to the chin that put his lights out.

At that point, his friend sucker punched me square in the chin from the side, but I tackled him and gave him a pummeling as well before I was pulled off.

Still I've gotta say that most fights go to the ground regardless, and a person who is effective at grappling is more often than not able to time his opponent's movements so as to take the fight to the ground if he so chooses. Once one obtains a dominant position on the ground, it's easy to incapacitate an opponent with a submission hold (obviously, chokes will put them to sleep). A person who is not trained in submission fighting is a sitting duck, and someone with rudimentary jujitsu skills can literally be made to look like a submissions expert in such a situation.

Comment

It can be quite effective as proven in this video from a news program:

Comment

it can be but not always

Comment

Thing is most fights end up on the ground after 3 seconds, if the fight hasn't ended already. So, you can have all the boxing knowledge in the world but when/if you hit the ground and start the wrestling. Your screwed, because you can box from laying on your back.

Being well rounded(mma) is more effective than being a great puncher(boxing). Because as we seen with Zab Judah, even a boxing champion doesn't always KO someone on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    Thing is most fights end up on the ground after 3 seconds, if the fight hasn't ended already. So, you can have all the boxing knowledge in the world but when/if you hit the ground and start the wrestling. Your screwed, because you can box from laying on your back.

Being well rounded(mma) is more effective than being a great puncher(boxing). Because as we seen with Zab Judah, even a boxing champion doesn't always KO someone on the street.
                    Zab Judah would KO any average Joe on the street. Unless you saw something I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
                      Zab Judah would KO any average Joe on the street. Unless you saw something I didn't.
                      There is a video of him street fighting over a crap game. Grabbed the guy and hit him full force 3 or so times. The dude was still awake and got away. Dude wasn't even a fit guy; fat, short, unhealthy.

Comment

Working...
                      X