No announcement yet.

Why Wilder's Flaws are Actually a Good Thing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Wilder's Flaws are Actually a Good Thing

Vulnerable fighters make for more exciting fights. Casual fans love that **** they saw last night. Horrible technique, horrible footwork, leaping straight back with his chin in the air, wide looping haymakes, falling down from the momentum of your own punch.....who cares?!?!?

Hit and not get hit is no fun. Fans want to see a fighter get hit but hit the opponent back harder. The technically sound fighters who never get touched are criticized for being boring. As Larry Merchant said "There is no room for perfection in boxing."

This Wilder train wreck is going to end in brutal fashion. I like the guy and I admit that. But it will be fun while it lasts that's for damn sure. Highlight reel KOs, great **** talking, entertaining fights.

Just enjoy it while it lasts. The heavyweight division is fun again and there is no crying about catchweights. Glazkov was outweighed by 30 pounds.

You're confusing aggression and action with poor technique. Holyfield and Bowe didn't need the footwork of brain damaged donkeys to produce exciting fights.

Comment

Not sure about the central idea of this thread.

But I will say that Deontay's flaws are what make Tyson Fury want that fight. Similarly, Wilder sees flaws in Fury, meaning they both want to fight each other - meaning we could actually get that wonderful fight as fans. It's one of the few great fights to be made in boxing where you don't see immediate roadblocks.

Couple of problems before we do. The Wilder who fought last night gets destroyed by Povetkin.

Secondly, the Mayweather/Pacquaio farce means everyone know thinks that stringing things out for 5 years guarantees a fight is bigger - but who is to say May/Pac wouldn't have made the same - or even more - if they had only left the fight on the table for 2 years. These two cannot let their fight marinate for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        You're confusing aggression and action with poor technique. Holyfield and Bowe didn't need the footwork of brain damaged donkeys to produce exciting fights.
        Not at all. I know the difference between Barrera/Morales and Gatti/Ward. I'm just saying there is room for both.

People take Wilder too seriously. Crying about his lack of technique. In about 60 fights, he won an Olympic medal and a world title. That's impressive no matter how you slice it. His size and athleticism masks his technical flaws. Big deal. He's not the first fighter cut from that cloth.

Just enjoy this while it lasts. We are going to get a series of highlight reel KOs (which Wilder will be on the receiving end of at some point), high pace action and hilarious whiffs.

Comment

On a side note, why the hell does that showtime announcer go all "southern hospitality" after wilder fights, last time it was "he goes down faster than an Alabama plate"

This time he mentions some damn tapioca pudding or some sh!"t, such an annoying idiot.

Comment

Not a fan of that "style" or what ever you want to call it. He is just a raw athlete with Gloves on right now, he has ZERO Boxing Technique and as Lennox Lewis pointed out before the fight, he is still learn, he is a late starter and yes believe it or not he has improved compared to when he would just throw Wild hooks and stumble all over the ring

The Power is scary, he can turn a fight around with 1 Punch but imagine if he added more skills to go with that Power and if he ever learns how to setup his Power. It is like he forgets everything Mark Breland and Jay Deas work with him on during Fight Camp come fight night. Lucky for him not many Heavyweights are as quick and can moves as well as Szpilka can

He needs Variety to his punches badly, he only has 3 Punches, he doesn't throw uppercuts or anything else just the same Jab, Straight Right and Right Hook

So Positives though, he has good feet, also Wilder Defense is actually not bad and he is a lot tougher than he gets credit for
            Last edited by sicko; 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

LOL but yea I agree. I've been overhyping it by saying Wilder could be the Gatti of the HW's cuz I could definitely see him make some fun ass comebacks after getting floored with Wilder's sloppy style yet big power.

Idk about the Gatti part, maybe being more realistic it'll look more like some of Derrick Jefferson's fights back in the day.

Comment

All of a sudden the division is fun again? It wasn't different when Wlad and Vitali were at the top. People were just salty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  Lool you just destroyed him.

What I saw last night was Wilder getting outboxed by the shorter man who is just a step above being a d level fighter, that was ridiculous. Wilder's power got him out of a tough spot, it will not do so against Fury and from what I saw last night, if the Povetkin fight happens next, then Pov, with his own new found power, will drop Wilder and win a points decision.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                    Not a fan of that "style" or what ever you want to call it. He is just a raw athlete with Gloves on right now, he has ZERO Boxing Technique and as Lennox Lewis pointed out before the fight, he is still learn, he is a late starter and yes believe it or not he has improved compared to when he would just throw Wild hooks and stumble all over the ring

The Power is scary, he can turn a fight around with 1 Punch but imagine if he added more skills to go with that Power and if he ever learns how to setup his Power. It is like he forgets everything Mark Breland and Jay Deas work with him on during Fight Camp come fight night. Lucky for him not many Heavyweights are as quick and can moves as well as Szpilka can

He needs Variety to his punches badly, he only has 3 Punches, he doesn't throw uppercuts or anything else just the same Jab, Straight Right and Right Hook

So Positives though, he has good feet, also Wilder Defense is actually not bad and he is a lot tougher than he gets credit for
                    "Good feet" your having a laugh. He has the worst footwork I think I have ever seen in a champion. His balance is so bad because of his poor footwork as well as over throwing his punches. His game is a mess from start to finish. Some power though.

Comment

Working...
                    X