Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Mike Tyson not a boxing trainer??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Mike Tyson not a boxing trainer??

I mean the man was a beast when he trained under "Cus" D'Amato not to take anything away from Atlas and Rooney but he sure is one of maybe only two men that can carry Cus training secrets and routines before it becomes extinct.

I can see him as a hell of a trainer...........what do you guys think?

Not so much. As great as Tyson is, I don't know how well he'll translate into the teacher position over a student. Tyson also had training that was for him. Almost like he was trained to be the best him and not the best boxer. He also lacks a lot of discipline as we saw later in his career. Fool said he broke his back, that's why he didn't do well.

Comment

Tysons style was based completely around him physically and mentally, Cus D'Amato knew exactly what to do with him.

I have no doubt he would be a good trainer but Tyson himself was a one off and everything he knows best was all for his advantage, specifically.

Comment

Does he strike you as a person with great patience who can translate concepts clearly and articulately? Training has less to do with your accomplishments and more with your ability to impart knowledge into your students, in a way that clicks for them. Mike is one of my faves but I can't imagine him being an effective, consistent coach.

Comment

Originally posted by screwhead1 View Post
          Not so much. As great as Tyson is, I don't know how well he'll translate into the teacher position over a student. Tyson also had training that was for him. Almost like he was trained to be the best him and not the best boxer. He also lacks a lot of discipline as we saw later in his career. Fool said he broke his back, that's why he didn't do well.
          roflmao

olololol

Comment

Originally posted by screwhead1 View Post
            Good trainers are mainly the ones with some sort of a strong background on any given subject, Tyson has an undeniable experience under his belt. He has also cleaned up quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel1981 View Post
              Tysons style was based completely around him physically and mentally, Cus D'Amato knew exactly what to do with him.

I have no doubt he would be a good trainer but Tyson himself was a one off and everything he knows best was all for his advantage, specifically.
              That's not true...they taught that style to a lot of fighters up there. Tyson was just arguably the best at executing the peekaboo style.

Comment

Because he's a rapist...duh!

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Does he strike you as a person with great patience who can translate concepts clearly and articulately? Training has less to do with your accomplishments and more with your ability to impart knowledge into your students, in a way that clicks for them. Mike is one of my faves but I can't imagine him being an effective, consistent coach.
                  If you watch interviews with Tyson he is a pretty smart guy. People think hes stupid but hes clearly not. And time has humbled him which means he has more patience than he probably once had. His knowledge of the sport and it's history is also better than a lot of boxing historians. I think he would make a great trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
                    If you watch interviews with Tyson he is a pretty smart guy. People think hes stupid but hes clearly not. And time has humbled him which means he has more patience than he probably once had. His knowledge of the sport and it's history is also better than a lot of boxing historians. I think he would make a great trainer.
                    I disagree. He comes across as being far smarter and friendlier than one expects from the classic mike Tyson, and therein lies his career resurgence in pop culture. It's the whole "oh, wow, Tyson isn't a dumb thug". But, he's not a particularly brainy guy and, as someone who follows a lot of his TV appearances, social media posts, etc, I can see that he's got his media personality he's been putting on. He still suffers alcoholism or whatever it is that makes him outburst with stupid (really stupid) comments periodically. Not bashing him. I like Mike and am wearing his T-shirt as I type this. I just disagree about him being good trainer material.

Comment

Working...
                    X