Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you really think about it.what sport is more popular in U.S.A?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say they are about even, and boxing is growing. For those that say Soccer gets more exposure, where? Boxing is on a lot. Maybe it is because I know where to find it but up here its on HBO, SHO, ESPN, and now the NBC networks. It's pretty rare to see Soccer on tv where I'm at, rarer than boxing at least. I'll see boxing every so often on a Saturday when the US team plays but I don't see it much at all.

Comment

Honestly, I have like 1 hardcore friend who follows and then a small circle other than that. But the small circle will just go to the big fights or watch Saturday night fights if they got nothing else to do. Everyone else I ask usually is, yeah I used to watch during the Tyson days but now there is nobody worth watching, lol. Then I get the trailer park whities who say, boxing? Who even watches that anymore? MMA all day!

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        Soccer gets much more coverage.
        I think I've seen a televised MLS game.... once. Where does soccer get coverage? World Cup maybe, but that's just country dick wagging not as much soccer. Also in terms of soccer the girls get more coverage than the guys.

Comment

Again
          boxing - 50 million fans
          soccer - 21 million

Comment

Boxing is probably more popular at this moment in time, in a decade football will be bigger. Boxing isn't going to increase in popularity and will steadily decline whilst football has a big boom.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
              Boxing is probably more popular at this moment in time, in a decade football will be bigger. Boxing isn't going to increase in popularity and will steadily decline whilst football has a big boom.
              boxing's fan base went from 31 million in 2000 to 50 million in 2012 and is expected to continue rising. And that was before they got back on network TV.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                50 million in 2012.
                That's what I think the peak will be.

That's what, 1 in 6.5/7 people?

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                  That's what I think the peak will be.

That's what, 1 in 6.5/7 people?
                  And your reasons for thinking that's the peak? Do you have any?

This is how it would stack up against other sports. It's around the point of NBA and MLB in terms of fans who say they watch boxing. Boxing's tv ratings on network TV seem to earn creedence to this, since small time boxing wound up pulling higher numbers than small time boxing on both CBS and NBC, and actually peaked higher than some primetime NBA games too.
                  Last edited by croz; 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                    And your reasons for thinking that's the peak? Do you have any?
                    Who's coming through now that is going to attract a large amount of people to the sport?

USA is failing in it's amateur boxing ambitions too, there is definitely a decline in the sport over there in terms of participants. You'll always have an audience because of the large Mexican population but I can't see it surpassing 50 million and remaining consistent.

Do you have any other figures for years previous? Anything from when Tyson was on the rise?

Comment

The Klitschkos killed American HW boxing. You'd be surprised how many people love soccer.

Comment

Working...
                      X