Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wlad Klitschko=the only HW Champ who reigned for 7 years without being knocked down!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truthspeaker View Post
    Everybody says "Wlad has a glass jaw". At least that's what I read a few minutes ago again. Well, he hasn't been knocked down in 7 years (2005 against Sam Peter). And during those 7 years he held pretty much all the heavyweight titles in the world. And now tell me which other heavyweight champion in the history of boxing was holding heavyweight titles for 7 years (unbeaten during that time span) without being knocked down?
    The only 3 that come to my mind MIGHT BE Joe Louis and Larry Holmes and Jack Johnson. Then I remembered Holmes being knocked down by Renaldo Snipes in 1981 and Earnie Shavers in 1979, and then Holmes lost the title against Michael Spinks in 1985 and lost the rematch as well. (not to mention his questionable wins over Witherspoon and Carl "The Truth" Williams)
    So: Larry Holmes doesn't have a 7 year streak during his title reign in which he was never knocked down.

Jack Johnson got knocked down by Stanley Ketchel during his reign, so he also doesn't have 7 years as a reigning HW Champ without being knocked down. (and let's not forget good ol' Jack Johnson drew the color line once he became Champ so he wouldn't have to face the likes of Sam Langford, Joe Jeannette....).
    Last but not least we have Joe Louis: He reigned from 1937-1948, but was knocked down by Tony Galento in 1939, then he was knocked down by Buddy Baer in 1941 (if I remember right he was knocked through the ropes and had to climb back into the ring), then he was knocked down by Jersey Joe Walcott multiple times in 1947.
    So Joe Louis also doesn't have a 7 year streak without being knocked down while he held the title.

That being said: There is only 1 Heavyweight Champ in the history of boxing who reigned for a 7 year span without being knocked down/losing a fight: Wladimir Klitschko.
    ^^^^^

Comment

Comment

Everybody says "Wlad has a glass jaw". At least that's what I read a few minutes ago again. Well, he hasn't been knocked down in 7 years (2005 against Sam Peter). And during those 7 years he held pretty much all the heavyweight titles in the world. And now tell me which other heavyweight champion in the history of boxing was holding heavyweight titles for 7 years (unbeaten during that time span) without being knocked down?
        The only 3 that come to my mind MIGHT BE Joe Louis and Larry Holmes and Jack Johnson. Then I remembered Holmes being knocked down by Renaldo Snipes in 1981 and Earnie Shavers in 1979, and then Holmes lost the title against Michael Spinks in 1985 and lost the rematch as well. (not to mention his questionable wins over Witherspoon and Carl "The Truth" Williams)
        So: Larry Holmes doesn't have a 7 year streak during his title reign in which he was never knocked down.

Jack Johnson got knocked down by Stanley Ketchel during his reign, so he also doesn't have 7 years as a reigning HW Champ without being knocked down. (and let's not forget good ol' Jack Johnson drew the color line once he became Champ so he wouldn't have to face the likes of Sam Langford, Joe Jeannette....).
        Last but not least we have Joe Louis: He reigned from 1937-1948, but was knocked down by Tony Galento in 1939, then he was knocked down by Buddy Baer in 1941 (if I remember right he was knocked through the ropes and had to climb back into the ring), then he was knocked down by Jersey Joe Walcott multiple times in 1947.
        So Joe Louis also doesn't have a 7 year streak without being knocked down while he held the title.

That being said: There is only 1 Heavyweight Champ in the history of boxing who reigned for a 7 year span without being knocked down/losing a fight: Wladimir Klitschko.
        Excellent post. Green K.

Comment

it's a fact, and he did fight the best fighters out there during that period

it's not an overly interesting fact, particulayly since Wlad has been knocked down plenty during his career, but a fact nevertheless, and credit to him for not tasting the canvas in a while

Comment

Jack Johnson did not "draw the colour line. It was a clear matter of business. He was extremely unpopular, and said repeatedly that "the white folks won't pay cash money to see two black fighters'" or words to that effect. He had actually arranged a fight with Langford but it was too unpopular, so was cancelled. He did fight Battling Jim Johnson in Paris, where there was no colour bar, with a fractured arm. I think it was a draw or close win. The crowd reportedly didn't like the fight.

He fought all the very best black fighters like Denver Ed Martin, Klondyke, Black Bill, multiple times and beat them regularly. he fought Joe jeanette 10 times. He was Coloured Champion for years. When he fought Langford he was far too small and Johnson gave him a massive beating, having to hold him up several times when he was going down.
            That "Johnson was afraid of Langford" crap was just that..crap. The Ketchell KD was reportedly a double=cross by Ketchell as the fight was originally arranged as an exhibition. Even then, Johnson again was holding Ketchell up to prevent him from going down. It can clearly be seen in the film, besides which, he was known for doing this, so that the fight would go on long enough for the cash customers to get their money's worth. It was showbusiness carried to extremes.

If you recall, Johnson got up and immediately launched himself at Ketchell, and with his very first punch, knocked him cold. He put so much force into it that he overbalanced and came down himself on his hands. He can be seen slightly shaking and flexing the wrist he mainly landed on, whilst waiting by the ropes during the count. This gave rise to the myth that he'd broken Ketchell's teeth which had stuck in his glove, and was shaking them off. In actual fact, he did break ONE tooth, which was found later by Ketchell's manager Willus Britt. He mounted it in gold and attached it to his gold watch chain. His brother, the famous fighter Jimmy Britt, said he always wore it and spoke about the fight, and it was in his effects when he suddenly died. However, in the opset, the the watch and chain disappeared and was never found.

A little bit of historical truth which might clear up the mists of some myths.....maybe, although I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

I'm stil waiting for someone to tell me at least one ATG that either Klits have fought to be bestowed and showered with such reverence and Klitlickery.

Comment

Comment

Klitchkos have always fought bums and nobodies. So no being KO'ed in 7 years dont mean nothing

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                    Jack Johnson did not "draw the colour line. It was a clear matter of business. He was extremely unpopular, and said repeatedly that "the white folks won't pay cash money to see two black fighters'" or words to that effect. He had actually arranged a fight with Langford but it was too unpopular, so was cancelled. He did fight Battling Jim Johnson in Paris, where there was no colour bar, with a fractured arm. I think it was a draw or close win. The crowd reportedly didn't like the fight.

He fought all the very best black fighters like Denver Ed Martin, Klondyke, Black Bill, multiple times and beat them regularly. he fought Joe jeanette 10 times. He was Coloured Champion for years. When he fought Langford he was far too small and Johnson gave him a massive beating, having to hold him up several times when he was going down.
                    That "Johnson was afraid of Langford" crap was just that..crap. The Ketchell KD was reportedly a double=cross by Ketchell as the fight was originally arranged as an exhibition. Even then, Johnson again was holding Ketchell up to prevent him from going down. It can clearly be seen in the film, besides which, he was known for doing this, so that the fight would go on long enough for the cash customers to get their money's worth. It was showbusiness carried to extremes.

If you recall, Johnson got up and immediately launched himself at Ketchell, and with his very first punch, knocked him cold. He put so much force into it that he overbalanced and came down himself on his hands. He can be seen slightly shaking and flexing the wrist he mainly landed on, whilst waiting by the ropes during the count. This gave rise to the myth that he'd broken Ketchell's teeth which had stuck in his glove, and was shaking them off. In actual fact, he did break ONE tooth, which was found later by Ketchell's manager Willus Britt. He mounted it in gold and attached it to his gold watch chain. His brother, the famous fighter Jimmy Britt, said he always wore it and spoke about the fight, and it was in his effects when he suddenly died. However, in the opset, the the watch and chain disappeared and was never found.

A little bit of historical truth which might clear up the mists of some myths.....maybe, although I'm not holding my breath.
                    Jack Johnson himself wrote that he feared Sam Langford and he didnt want to rematch him after he won the title. He was happy to not fight another black fighter like Jeannette, Wills, or Langford or McVey for the title cause he fought them before and knew he might lose. Whether Johnson himself ducked them or society back then allowed him to duck them, doesnt make that much of a difference. Fact is he didnt face the best fighters in the world while he was Champion.
                    here is what Johnson said:
                    “I don’t want to fight that little smoke,” said Johnson. “He’s got a chance to win against anyone in the world. I’m the first black champion and I’m going to be the last.”

Years later, Johnson confided to New England Sports Museum trustee Kevin Aylwood, “Sam Langford was the toughest little son of a ***** that ever lived.”
                    source: http://www.blackpast.org/?q=perspect...orgotten-boxer
                    As for the Ketchel fight: I also read the fight was fixed and that back then they were showing advertisements between the rounds and the longer the fight went, the more money they got. Then Ketchel said to himself "F*k it, I will try to knock him out", he did knock him down and then a few seconds later Jack Johnson did what he could have done since the first round: knock Ketchel out cold. But the bottom line is there is no "shoulda woulda coulda" in boxing. Johnson wanted the money so he carried Ketchel, then Ketchel knocked him down. Nothing more to say really than that.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X