Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Marcos Maidana in Line For December Date in Argentina

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Maidana but WW is a division that has a few fighters that present problems for him in terms of styles. I love the guy and will watch him until he retires, but I don't think it's a great division for him. You give him someone who will fight him and it'll always be a toss up, but I don't see Bradley, Malignaggi, or Guerrero trading with him. I'm not going to go into Mayweather or Pac, and I've never seen Brook or Zaveck, Alexanders already beat him, so that leaves me with Lopez and Ortiz that I think he could beat. Like I've said I love him but it's a tough division for his style.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
      I love Maidana but WW is a division that has a few fighters that present problems for him in terms of styles. I love the guy and will watch him until he retires, but I don't think it's a great division for him. You give him someone who will fight him and it'll always be a toss up, but I don't see Bradley, Malignaggi, or Guerrero trading with him. I'm not going to go into Mayweather or Pac, and I've never seen Brook or Zaveck, Alexanders already beat him, so that leaves me with Lopez and Ortiz that I think he could beat. Like I've said I love him but it's a tough division for his style.
      I think he would bust Paulie's ass, easiest fight for him @147 and one that I'm 100% confident he'd come out victorious. Chino is a step above Cano, and look what Cano accomplished against Paulie. Hardest fight would be Bradley, and the second hardest fight would be the winner of Berto/Guerrero. Of course, I'm not including Pac/Mayweather cuz they are "elite".

Comment

judging from paulie's last fight, maidana will have the easiest time with him. well even style wise, guerrero and paulie fight nothing like alexander. guerrero is a 50-50 fight to me at this point. ghost has a good chin, decent conditioning, and can box but he brawls, that's a no-no against el chino. berto has the best shot at stopping marcos but he has a shaky chin himself and fades early. would be an interesting scrap, somebody's going to get stopped for sure. ortiz may never fight again with his broke ass jaw.

Comment

I love Chino, but am not sold on him at 147. I think 140 is where he should have stayed (if possible). His raw punching power made up for what he lacks in slickness and skill at that weight, and in my opinion, made him a threat at all times to anyone at 140.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
            Being a flawed/incomplete fighter or not having a versatile style doesn't necessarily mean he's not a world-class operator. Who do you consider to be "world-class" at WW?

Also, name 10 WWs that you would favor over Maidana, excluding Pac/Mayweather.
            Abregu, Malgnaggi, Cano, Alexander, Berto, Mike Jones, JMM, Bradley, Khan, Kell Brook, and maybe Ortiz

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
              Abregu, Malgnaggi, Cano, Alexander, Berto, Mike Jones, JMM, Bradley, Khan, Kell Brook, and maybe Ortiz
              We'll exclude Alexander, since they already fought.

I think Abregu/Berto/Brook/Jones/Khan/Ortiz are 50-50 fights. I'd favor only Bradley and Marquez over Maidana.

I think he'd stop Malignaggi and Cano. Paulie doesn't have the pop to keep him honest, and Cano cuts/swells easily.

Comment

cano is he serious? man, you'd think maidana is some 5-20 tomato can the way these people talk about him around here. kotelnik, ortiz, khan, morales, karass went to bed with a busted face. cano brings nothing to the table. imagine what that glass face will look like after the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
                  cano is he serious? man, you'd think maidana is some 5-20 tomato can the way these people talk about him around here. kotelnik, ortiz, khan, morales, karass went to bed with a busted face. cano brings nothing to the table. imagine what that glass face will look like after the fight.
                  Chino isn't a push-over, he makes for competitive fights. The only fight that wasn't competitive was against Alexander, and I chalk it up to styles and weight.

There seems to be a negative correlation between Matthysse and Maidana; As Matthysse's popularity went up, Maidana's went down. Fans started to think less of Chino cuz he had a tough fight with Morales, but didn't give Lucas any grief when he had a tough fight with Zab. Maidana is a crude brawler, he isn't the fastest or the most technically sound, doesn't have the best defense. But, he can crack with both hands, has a pretty nice jab when he decides to use it, and has a strong will. Do people forget how he got put down by Khan in round 1, and went on to give him hell? Or how he exchanged knockdowns with Ortiz and made him quit? He's a limited fighter, but he does deserve more credit. Not every boxer is gonna out-box Chino, and not every brawler is gonna be able to out-slug him either.
                  Last edited by kiaba360; 10-30-2012, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
                    What a joke of a list. JMM, Bradley, I can see, though JMM went life and death with Diaz and Bradley has very little pop. But, JMM is a master technician with experience and Bradley has good defensive movement and smothering skills so ill give u those two.

The others are toss up fights. Let's not overhype abregu because he just beat a glass chinned prospect.. I still see more dynamic power behind Chino's punches than Abregu's.

Malignagi and cano, be serious. Mali looked awful in his last fight and cano lost to morales soundly while morales got beat by Maidana, if u want to use that as a measuring stick.

Alexander and Khan - Alexander fought a Maidana with no jab that was moving up in weight. And Khan fought a fighter with no jab. Still if forced to bet I'd pick alexander to stink out the place enroute to a win, and Khan to get ktfo.

Kell Brook has some skills, but he's never had his toughness tested like Maidana would.

And, u seem to forget, Maidana is Ortiz original daddy

Wow

Comment

What do yall think Maidana's opponent will be? I'm thinking he may fight Abregu. If Abregu can prepare for another fight in time, he is coming off of a win over Dulorme.. And the fact the fight will be in Argentina makes me suspect this matchup is in the works. This announcement did come right after the Dulorme fight after all.

Comment

Working...
                      X