No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cotto Would Not Rule Out Facing Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
    Martinez has never fought anybody as great as Marquez, it's easy to adjust against B level fighters.

I'm not talking about the guys who they fought I'm talking about how the fighters fight and Martinez can adapt, adjust and get the win. If you want to compare it like that then I can say "Pacquiao never fought a fighter as tall as Paul Williams or as big as Chavez Jr." I'm talking about style and technical wise. Why is it so hard to just agree that Sergio Martinez has a more effective fighting style against a wide variety of fighters than Manny Pacquiao? You guys compare fighters and how good they are by how famous or commercial they or their opponents are.

Name me one fighter Sergio Martinez fought at a catch weight to gain an advantage? I'll even help you. Paul Williams, but it was Team Williams who wanted it in the rematch because they thought Martinez would have trouble making the weight. I'm not making this a Pacquiao topic but come on. Martinez has better fighting style and is a better fighter technically. You can agree or not but it is what it is.
    Last edited by GRUSTLER; 03-02-2013, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
      When has Pacquiao ever adjusted against Marquez? Pac is a one-trick pony. Period.
      Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
      I'm not talking about the guys who they fought I'm talking about how the fighters fight and Martinez can adapt, adjust and get the win. If you want to compare it like that then I can say "Pacquiao never fought a fighter as tall as Paul Williams or as big as Chavez Jr." I'm talking about style and technical wise. Why is it so hard to just agree that Sergio Martinez has a more effective fighting style against a wide variety of fighters than Manny Pacquiao? You guys compare fighters and how good they are by how famous or commercial they or their opponents are.

Name me one fighter Sergio Martinez fought at a catch weight to gain an advantage? I'll even help you. Paul Williams, but it was Team Williams who wanted it in the rematch because they thought Martinez would have trouble making the weight. I'm not making this a Pacquiao topic but come on. Martinez has better fighting style and is a better fighter technically. You can agree or not but it is what it is.
      Like I said, it's easier to adjust against mediocre or decent opposition than it is to adjust against all time greats. And by the way I consider Martinez a one-trick pony or a gimmick fighter if you prefer. I don't think Martinez is more skilled than Pac, having a flashy boxing style doesn't make you more skilled. Pac actually dropped Marquez twice with counters in their 4 encouters. He countered one of the greatest counter punchers of all time, meanwhile Martinez ate 40 power punches in 2 mn from the very limited Chavez Jr.

Comment

Like I said, it's easier to adjust against mediocre or decent opposition than it is to adjust against all time greats. And by the way I consider Martinez a one-trick pony or a gimmick fighter if you prefer. I don't think Martinez is more skilled than Pac, having a flashy boxing style doesn't make you more skilled. Pac actually dropped Marquez twice with counters in their 4 encouters. He countered one of the greatest counter punchers of all time, meanwhile Martinez ate 40 power punches in 2 mn from the very limited Chavez Jr.
        This is your opinion but Manny was supposed to dominate JMM in the 3rd fight according to his whole team and his fans. Also, Manny was supposed to knock JMM out in the 4th fight as well. Dude had 8 years, 3 weight classes, youth, speed and power over JMM and couldn't see the deal? Martinez fought Williams in a close debatable fight and then iced him in the rematch. Not comparing JMM to Williams because technically you cannot compare them because Martinez is too big for Marquez and Williams is too big for Manny.

Different fighters but just because JMM is more popular don't make him a better fighter than the guys Martinez fought because neither Pacquiao or Marquez could compete in the MW division so where's your logic? Even the most mediocre guy there would flatten JMM and Pacquiao. Martinez moved up and beat the MW champ. Chavez Jr is a garbage fighter but dude was/is huge compared to Martinez and Sergio boxed circles around his ass for 11 rounds.

Got dropped, got up and went toe to toe with the bigger man. Manny got laid out by a guy that only fought twice at WW prior. I have no problem with your opinion but in my opinion Martinez is the better fighter TECHNICALLY" he's winning while Manny ain't.
        Last edited by GRUSTLER; 03-02-2013, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Now he brings up s.martinez ,should've been next besides m.murray

Comment

• Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
            just because JMM is more popular don't make him a better fighter than the guys Martinez fought because neither Pacquiao or Marquez could compete in the MW division so where's your logic?

Comment

It's easy to size a fight up by the final two minutes of the twelth round in a 12 round fight; however it leaves out the important fact that Martinez was outweighed by 15-20 pounds and had a 3-5 inches height deficit while hitting Chavez with hundreds of punches the other 11 rounds. Pac has never had to face that kind of adversity, he demanded catchweights to weaken his opposition.

Martinez fights on the inside, outside, has excellent countering abilities and can beat any style of boxer. Pac's team carefully guided Pac away from boxer types in favor of fighting sluggers who would trade with him because Pac doesn't look good against that type of fighter.

Martinez beat an undefeated Dzinziruk using nothing more than a jab which was Dzinriruk's best weapon. He took on the much taller Paul Williams on two week's notice and beat him to a pulp but since he wasn't the big name, they gave it to Williams. In the rematch though, it only took Martinez two rounds to adapt and lay Williams out cold......Pac never did that with Marquez, in fact he actually regressed in every rematch he had with JMM....instead of adapting and getting better, he slipped more and more in every fight because JMM was just better at adapting than Pac is.

Bradley was a boxer type and after the "ripoff" he and his team went after JMM yet again instead of getting the "easy" revenge win over Bradley; there is a reason for it. They knew Tim would adapt in a rematch whereas PAc would not be able to.

Martinez has faced the best, most accomplished competition out of any boxer in the world over the last 4 years imo. Popularity or notoriety doesn't equate to most skilled.

Murray: 25-0-1 (11 KOs)
              Chavez Jr.: 46-0-1 (32 KO's)
              Macklin: 28-3-0 (19 KO's)
              Barker: 23-0-0 (14 KO's)
              Dzinziruk: 37-0-0 (24 KO's)
              Williams: 39-1-0 (27 KO's)
              Pavlik: 36-1-0 (32 KO's)
              Williams: 37-1-0 (27 KO's)
              Cintron: 30-2-0 (27 KO's)

Comment

Are you saying Pacquiao gets hit less than martinez? lmao.
                And Martinez counters>Pacquiao counters. I like Pacquiao but you can't say he is as skilled as Martinez. He's a great fighter but a lot more simple than Martinez

Comment

• martinez would seriously harm cotto

Comment

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
                    Bradley was a boxer type and after the "ripoff" he and his team went after JMM yet again instead of getting the "easy" revenge win over Bradley; there is a reason for it. They knew Tim would adapt in a rematch whereas PAc would not be able to.

But according to you, Pacquiao regressed in every rematch that he had with Marquez (I've pointed this out in the past myself) because of Marquez's ability to adapt to Pacquiao's style.Surely Pacquiao is to receive more credit for rematching a guy that had caused so much trouble in their three previous meetings (the last one being particularly controversial) than a guy that an overwhelming majority felt was beaten by Pacquiao comfortably?

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                    Martinez has faced the best, most accomplished competition out of any boxer in the world over the last 4 years imo.

Sure, because there was such widespread joy throughout the boxing forums when fights with Barker and Macklin were announced, right? And Dzinziruk? Yeah, plenty of people loved the prospect of the supposedly third best fighter in the sport fighting a guy that had fought just once in nearly two and a half years.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
                      It's easy to size a fight up by the final two minutes of the twelth round in a 12 round fight; however it leaves out the important fact that Martinez was outweighed by 15-20 pounds and had a 3-5 inches height deficit while hitting Chavez with hundreds of punches the other 11 rounds. Pac has never had to face that kind of adversity, he demanded catchweights to weaken his opposition.
                      Margarito was 18 lbs bigger than Pac in the ring, catchweight or not it's still an impressive size difference.

Martinez beat an undefeated Dzinziruk using nothing more than a jab which was Dzinriruk's best weapon. He took on the much taller Paul Williams on two week's notice and beat him to a pulp but since he wasn't the big name, they gave it to Williams. In the rematch though, it only took Martinez two rounds to adapt and lay Williams out cold......Pac never did that with Marquez, in fact he actually regressed in every rematch he had with JMM....instead of adapting and getting better, he slipped more and more in every fight because JMM was just better at adapting than Pac is.

Martinez beat Williams to a pulp in the first fight? So you're saying it wasn't close? LOL

It's hilarious how you guys compare fighting Paul Williams to fighting Juan Manuel freaking Marquez. One was a good champion, the other is a certified ATG.

Team Pac chose the tougher challenge. JMM is a more difficult opponent for Pac than Bradley and he proved it.

Martinez has faced the best, most accomplished competition out of any boxer in the world over the last 4 years imo. Popularity or notoriety doesn't equate to most skilled.

Murray: 25-0-1 (11 KOs)
                      Chavez Jr.: 46-0-1 (32 KO's)
                      Macklin: 28-3-0 (19 KO's)
                      Barker: 23-0-0 (14 KO's)
                      Dzinziruk: 37-0-0 (24 KO's)
                      Williams: 39-1-0 (27 KO's)
                      Pavlik: 36-1-0 (32 KO's)
                      Williams: 37-1-0 (27 KO's)
                      Cintron: 30-2-0 (27 KO's)
                      It's a good run but it's not the most accomplished competition any boxer has faced in the last 4 years, Ward faced better comp.

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
                      Are you saying Pacquiao gets hit less than martinez? lmao.
                      And Martinez counters>Pacquiao counters. I like Pacquiao but you can't say he is as skilled as Martinez. He's a great fighter but a lot more simple than Martinez
                      When did I mention who gets hit less?

Martinez has yet to land counters on a great fighter. If Pac was so simple then how come he countered Marquez? Let me refresh your memory :

^^Does that look like a simple fighter to you? And that's against a guy who's hard to read, not a one-dimensional fighter like Pavlik or Williams.

Pac might look more simple to you because he doesn't move around the ring with his hands low but to me he's a better fighter than Martinez. Better combinations, better movement, better variety of punches.

Comment

Working...
                      X