Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gearbox turned down offer to develop Call of Duty game

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What constitutes as a "child's game", exactly? Where do you draw the line between a certain video game being "for children" and all video games being for children? Especially an M rated one that can only be sold to people who are over the age of 18?

Plenty of grown men here in this very lounge play or have played (and enjoyed) COD games, including but not limited to : REED, D-Mize, dan_cov, Michael Paine, Rip Chudd, bojangles1987, and myself.

Alternately, plenty of grown men exist within this lounge who regularly enjoy a good platformer (from Super Mario 64 to Ratchet and Clank) which is supposedly THE genre that's "for kids."

If you're encountering a bunch of children while playing your games online : You're doing it wrong. You play with your friends online to avoid the risk of running into said children, or even worse, the trolls who exist in FAR greater numbers and only join games to **** it up for everybody else.

I'm not sure how PSN works because I exclusively game on Xbox Live (superior service), but on XBL it's pretty simple to get a game going with 3-7 friends and have a voice chat running simultaneously. Thus eliminating the need to ever play in public matches where the type of player you point out supposedly dwells.

I say supposedly because prior to gaming solely with friends I gamed in random public sessions and I still never encountered enough children for it to become an issue. Certainly not the kind of child that has become the poster-child for COD online thanks to the tireless work of PC elitists.
    Last edited by ßringer; 10-19-2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

COD is a mainstream game point blank period. And it sucks.

The only guys I know in my neighborhood who play COD also love Lil Wayne, Drake, dress all trendy and follow all other mainstream crap.

I have a lot of respect for one friend of mine in particular, who is brutally honest on why he plays COD. "That's all every one of my friend plays online, and i'm an online player."

That's it. Honesty goes along way to me. Don't lie about COD being a "great game", or a "good game". It's f-cking not, AT ALL. Like, AT ALL. People play it to be in on "it".

As a big war game fan, and big fan of Medal of Honor, and loved Battlefield 3..I freaking hate CoD. That sh-t just plain out sucks, and it's for children.

Comment

And BTW of course adults will play it. But "CoD is a child's game" is a more of a relative comment.

Look at all these music artists hyping the game up too, that's just pathetic how people get sucked into stupid trends and actually try to pass it off as something they actually discovered and liked, not that they were sucked in to the hype.

Comment

CoD is a child's game.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            COD is a mainstream game point blank period. And it sucks.

The only guys I know in my neighborhood who play COD also love Lil Wayne, Drake, dress all trendy and follow all other mainstream crap.

I have a lot of respect for one friend of mine in particular, who is brutally honest on why he plays COD. "That's all every one of my friend plays online, and i'm an online player."

That's it. Honesty goes along way to me. Don't lie about COD being a "great game", or a "good game". It's f-cking not, AT ALL. Like, AT ALL. People play it to be in on "it".

As a big war game fan, and big fan of Medal of Honor, and loved Battlefield 3..I freaking hate CoD. That sh-t just plain out sucks, and it's for children.
            Your disdain for anything popular is a bit odd : You're the biggest RE fanboy I've ever seen in my life, going so far as to say that RE6 wasn't a bad video game when it very clearly was to nearly everybody who played it. Yet you're in here lambasting the COD series and it's fans because of it's popularity, meanwhile you adore an equally popular series in 'Resident Evil' which has spawned nearly as many sequels as COD has, plus 7 film releases, and another film in the works.

The funny thing is that I'm not even a big COD fan. Like I said, I've played the first two entries in the 'Modern Warfare' series and that's it.

Even worse is your absolute refusal to acknowledge anything positive about COD whatsoever - Even going so far as to continue to state that it's "for children" when I listed several adults here who played or enjoyed the series.

You sound obsessed with hate.

Off topic : It's nice to have you back so that I can completely disagree with you some more. It's nice to have someone to debate video games with.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              And BTW of course adults will play it. But "CoD is a child's game" is a more of a relative comment.

Look at all these music artists hyping the game up too, that's just pathetic how people get sucked into stupid trends and actually try to pass it off as something they actually discovered and liked, not that they were sucked in to the hype.
              So now you're saying that unless you "discovered and liked" something on your own before it was popular it's just that you "were sucked into the hype?"

Dude...You're sounding even worse than the supposed kiddies you're trying to tear down.

You know that 'Borderlands' is increasingly popular now too, right? And that a ton of kids play it on PSN and XBL?

Do those games suck now, too?

Comment

I'll admit, I started hating COD after it was cool. That doesn't make it any less of a boring over milked franchise, negatively effecting teh gaming industry though.
                Last edited by BOLLOCKS; 10-19-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BOLLOCKS View Post
                  I'll admit, I started hating COD after it was cool. That doesn't make it any less of a boring over milked franchised, negatively effecting teh gaming industry though.
                  Ehh...It's a franchise now. All franchises go that way once they make bank. RE sucks now. DMC sucks now. Megaman sucks now. COD sucks now. Even GTA sucks now because it's the same **** every few years.

I get hating that aspect of it, because it's ruined great franchises simply for profit, but that's the nature of any business - Make money.

To avoid that, I only buy games that I'm sure I'll like. I wait for releases to come out, I watch gameplay videos, read reviews, all that crap. That way I know for sure that what I'm buying is going to be worth my money and time invested.

What I don't get it hating on something for it's popularity. That's hipster gheyness.

Comment

Resident Evil is no where near as popular as CoD in online gameplay.

RE will forever be known for its single player classics from RE1-RE4.

Nope, you do not have to "discover" a game for it to be good. But i'm saying that's how people act when they try to defend CoD, they try to act like they weren't just sucked into the hype.

The defenses I hear for CoD reminds me of when I ask a girl (hence, a girl), "What is your favorite type of music" and they say "What ever is hot on the radio". Jesus Christ that sucks but at least they are being honest, while grown men just want duck, dodge and sugarcoat that they're just in on CoD because it's what's hot in online gameplay right now.

Basically a young girl could be more honest than these grown ass men. If I ever get into CoD, I will outright admit that I do it to play with my friends and nothing else. Because the reason is that simple.

Now let's get back to this Resident Evil line. Resident evil is a childhood game of mine, and for most of us for that matter, that is still around. It's a game that is integrated into my childhood and I still play and have faith on it some day becoming a great series again. CoD started off ****, and is still ****.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                      Ehh...It's a franchise now. All franchises go that way once they make bank. RE sucks now. DMC sucks now. Megaman sucks now. COD sucks now. Even GTA sucks now because it's the same **** every few years.

I get hating that aspect of it, because it's ruined great franchises simply for profit, but that's the nature of any business - Make money.

To avoid that, I only buy games that I'm sure I'll like. I wait for releases to come out, I watch gameplay videos, read reviews, all that crap. That way I know for sure that what I'm buying is going to be worth my money and time invested.

What I don't get it hating on something for it's popularity. That's hipster gheyness.
                      Well, maybe RE wouldn't suck so much, if Crapcom weren't trying to attract Call Of Duty Fans..
                      http://gamerant.com/resident-evil-6-...-brian-126301/

Comment

Working...
                      X