Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alternatives to buying windows software?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] alternatives to buying windows software?

I was just wondering what are some cheaper or better alternatives to buying windows 7. or if its even a good idea to still buy it, i dont really like the new interface of windows 8 but i want to system restore my computer any help would be appreciated.

My friend installed Ubuntu on my computer few years back because I was tired of viruses on windows, 4 years in not a single virus and I go on all kinds of websites if u know what I mean. U can load Ubuntu for free.
    Last edited by MENINO_DE_EURO; 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

He made 2 partitions on my computer so I can go on windows or ubuntu but I never go on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Julious_cesar View Post
        My friend installed Ubuntu on my computer few years back because I was tired of viruses on windows, 4 years in not a single virus and I go on all kinds of websites if u know what I mean. U can load Ubuntu for free.
        the new ubuntu is just as bad. Id go with Debian, Mint, or OpenSuse now.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
          the new ubuntu is just as bad. Id go with Debian, Mint, or OpenSuse now.
          Ivemhad my same Ubuntu for years, whats wrong with the new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Julious_cesar View Post
            Ivemhad my same Ubuntu for years, whats wrong with the new one?
            They use the same horrible interface as windows8. Its really atrocious.

Comment

Try a Linux distro.

I've moved off linux to FreeBSD though. But when I was on Linux (crunchbang specifically). Never had to worry about a virus.

Ubuntu and Mint are probably the most friendly to new comers of linux kernel. I also think Zorin looks like windows 7, not sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHookGarcia View Post
                Try a Linux distro.

I've moved off linux to FreeBSD though. But when I was on Linux (crunchbang specifically). Never had to worry about a virus.

Ubuntu and Mint are probably the most friendly to new comers of linux kernel. I also think Zorin looks like windows 7, not sure though.
                Im going to be using FreeBSD on the new fileserver I am putting together. ZFS in Raid-Z3 20 2TB drives.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  Im going to be using FreeBSD on the new fileserver I am putting together. ZFS in Raid-Z3 20 2TB drives.
                  You using FreeBSD for a desktop environment as well? Loving it way more than Linux based distros. Portmaster is a godsend, only problem is that it takes some time to compile things using portmaster. But it's better than having to build from source all the time...

Comment

The only alternative i've tried in recent years over Windows has been Mac & Ubuntu and both have pissed on windows. Im definitely not upgrading my windows machines to windows 8 as all i hear is bad reviews. i would have said get Ubuntu, but if Shawn is saying its poop, I would take his word but still have a sniff around at it

Comment

Working...
                    X