Tyson vs. THE GREATS Pt. III

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson vs. THE GREATS Pt. III

# 2: Mike Tyson vs Joe Louis

The obvious version of Joe Louis to use in this match-up is the one who fought Max Schmeling in 1938. For that fight, Joe was 25 years old when he climbed into the ring with the Black Uhlan for the second time and had compiled a record of 38-1 (32) with Schmeling handing him his sole defeat two years prior. Louis was a shuffling technician who could hit you and hurt you with either hand. Early in his career, Louis’s trainer would tie his right hand to the ropes so to teach Joe how to defend with his left hand alone, the result was one of the most accurate and devastating jabs in history. In addition to his powerful left, Joe had a right hand that was simply deadly. To this day, no one has defended the title more than Louis (25 times) or held it for as long (12 years).

Mike, as always, would come out looking to check Louis’s chin and midway through the opening stanza, a sizzling hook would deposit “The Brown Bomber” on his backside. Slightly stunned, Louis would proceed to fire the jab-right with fury, breaking Tyson’s rhythm and allowing Louis to reach the bell. Now knowing full well the raw power he’s in the ring with, Louis comes out for round two with more intention on dictating the pace, throwing jab after jab to position Mike for the follow-up right hands. On the occasions when Tyson gets past the jab, Louis meets him with uppercuts.

As the rounds mount up, Tyson’s frustration starts to show as do the lumps around his eyes as Louis keeps dictating the pace of the fight. By round 7, Tyson’s left eye is nearly shut from right after right, jab after jab and Mike is increasingly hesitant to get on the inside where Louis is jarring his molars with uppercuts. Late in the 9th, Louis catches a nearly blind Tyson with a crunching right and drops him for a five count. Upon reaching his feet, Tyson is met by the hardest punches he’s ever endured as a professional or amateur; rights, hooks, uppercuts, each one landing exactly where it’s owner meant for it.

Firing back blindly at an opponent he can no longer see, he finds himself stumbling forward to the canvas when his legs disappear from his consciousness as if they were no longer attached to his hips. Unable to rise, Mike finds himself to be a victim of the potent Joe Louis right hand in round 9.

AND Finally #1: Mike Tyson vs Muhammad Ali

On November 14th, 1966, a 24 year old Muhammad Ali climbed into the ring with Clevand Williams in Houston, Texas and showed us what a complete fighter looks like: blinding speed of hand and foot and with that speed, power that belied his frame. Ali would never look so good in the ring again as he did against Williams, so that’s the Ali we’ll use. At the time, he had a record of 26-0 (21) and weighed in at a svelte 212 ¾ lbs. For those that do not know, Ali had a rapier-like jab, and had arguably the fastest hands of any heavyweight who ever lived and most assuredly the fastest feet. Ali could start throwing a punch when he was out of range and his feet would carry him in range to land the shot and out again before his opponent could get off a counter.

When the opening bell sounds, it has to be rung twice because neither fighter can hear it over the roar of the crowd. When the bout does get under way, both men rush to ring center, with Ali, at the last second sidestepping while pulling back to miss a murderous left hook. Tyson, while fast of hand, has to be within range for that hand-speed to amount to anything and Ali is quite content to keep him at the end of a blistering jab, which, to his surprise, isn’t landing as often as he’d like. The whole round consists of Tyson bobbing and weaving very quickly towards Ali, only to be alone when he gets to where Ali was just a second before.

Every time Mike gets close, he is peppered with razor-sharp jabs and rights for his efforts and has no one to get revenge on when the punches stop. At the end of the first round, Tyson motions furiously at Ali, angry that he apparently didn’t come to fight. By the third, Ali has Mike’s timing down and begins to rip in a few hooks of his own amid the jabs and rights. While nothing seems to be affecting Tyson, the points are piling up. When the bell rings for the 8th, there is a visible swelling around Mike’s left eye and he still has yet to connect with anything solid and is starting to swing wildly, lunging out of desperation and frustration at a target that is never in range.

At the start of the 10th, Mike’s right eye is also swollen with a good sized gash above the lid and his left eye is all but closed. Smelling the end, Ali suddenly plants his feet and unloads a blur of straight rights, hooks and uppercuts on a Tyson, who is totally caught off guard by this sudden offensive outburst. By the time he can fire off a counter, Ali is out of the way again. As soon as he thinks Ali’s onslaught is over, Mike’s caught with a solid double hook off the jab, which causes him to visibly wobble.

Lunging for retribution with a whistling left hook, Mike catches nothing but air and is blasted for his trouble with a surprisingly powerful right cross, which knocks him off balance into the ropes. Before he can steady himself, Tyson is caught in a blizzard of punches that seem to be coming from every conceivable angle. Again he lunges forward with an uppercut that misses and catches a solid hook for his trouble, followed by another straight right and drops to the canvas as much out of confusion as out of hurt. Mike reaches his feet at the count of eight and affirms to the referee that he wants to continue. However the ref is now looking at Mike’s right eye, from which is flowing a cascade of crimson and waves the fight off, determining Tyson can no longer see incoming shots. Mike protests to no avail.

Nice until you realize Louis has a glass chin and was almost knocked out by Billy Conn a light punching middleweight to light heavyweight.Tyson crushses Louis.Louis wasn't fast on his feet so he couldn't last long enough to frustrate Tyson.
    Ali would stopped Tyson.Ali is a much better boxer and puncher than Douglas was.I see a prime Ali knocking out Tyson in about 7 rounds maybe quicker.

Comment

ali would walk all over tyson.

Comment

oh my ****ing god joe loius did not have a glass chin you moron and no he wasnt almost knocked out by billy conn, billy was winning by points and slipping all over the place. dude you obviously havent watched that fight i used to think loius wasnt that good either. You proably have just watched the sport century on him and never seen the whole coon loius fight am i right?

Comment

but i will admit that tyson might have some serious problems with ali becuase tyson was a great mid-range fighter but if there was any better mid ranger it must have been ali

Comment

Troy you are ******ed so don't bother trying to battle knowledge with.Conn almost knocked Louis out and then the next round he got cocky and went in for the kill and got knocked out.Louis was knocked out by Schmelling.Was Schelling a big time puncher?Nope.Was Braddock a big puncher?Hell no but he knocked Louis down with one punch in the first round of their bout.Louis was knocked down 3 or 4 times by Walcott who had 30 kos out of his 50 plus wins.Louis was knocked down on other occasions by one punch from complete nobodies.Louis had a weak chin period.
            Little child i am sure i watched more Louis fights than you have.Nothing about the man was special.Who did he beat?The man didnt fight anybody for the most part of his career.Louis didn't fight any black fighters until later in his career and they all kicked his azz.Louis is overrated just as Marciano is.You need to stop listening to what old times tell you kid.They act like just because you fought along time ago then you must be good.
            Tyson would walk through Louis and stop him in 3 rounds or less.And if you have been reading my post then you know i can not stand Tyson but i use logic when making predictions not my heart.The only guys who could band with Tyson and not be knocked out were fighters with great chins and great power and heart.Or you had to be able to stick and move with your jab and wear him down.Louis could do neither.

Comment

Joe Louis would defeat Mike Tyson, and I can't even see him having any difficulties doing it either. Tyson was made for Louis' style.

Louis liked his foes to come after him, so he could counter them. Tyson would surely come after Louis, and he would take a beating because of this. Tyson was really dangerous in the first couple of rounds, but also really easy to tie up, and Louis would use this to his advantage.

I can see Tyson charging Louis with a vengance early on, only to be countered and tied up. The ref would break them up and Tyson would once again come charging, only to be countered by ripping shots and tied up. As we all know, it does not take long to frustrate Tyson and if anybody could frustrate him it would be Joe Louis, the most complete heavyweight of all time.

Louis would rip a prime Tyson to shreds within ten onesided rounds and knock him out cold, just like James Douglas did to a unfocused Tyson in 1990.

Tommyhearns, have you seen the Louis-Schmeiling fight? If you have, you will realize that it really doesn't matter how big a puncher Schmeiling was. He hit him with straight rights more than 50 times for cryin out loud!! Louis had a bad habit of dropping his left after jabbing, and this made him vulnarable. Of course, he straigtened out this flaw later on, but in the first Schmeiling fight he had to pay the price.

I am not saying Louis had a great chin, but it was decent enough. And he would knock out Tyson in any case.

Joe Louis by ko10.

Muhammad Ali would have Tyson beat before the fight was even signed!

Comment

M26 Louis chin was pathetic.If a 170 pound fighter like Conn who only had 11 ko's out of his 68 wins could have Louis out on his feet then Tyson would have little problem doing do.Louis gameplan was to come forward so he would be bound to be hit by Tyson.One good shot from Tyson and Louis is knocked out.
                Dempsey was a bigger coward than Tyson.Dempsey never fought any black men in his career.He would piss his pants if he knew he had to fight any black men.Tyson is bigger faster stronger and punches alot harder than Dempsey period.Tyson is about 30 pounds heavier and Tysons record isn't built up by using small gloves and small white fighters.If Dempsey couldnt handle pressure from Jim Flynn then he would not be able to handle a prime Tyson.Tyson knocks out Dempsey with ease.

Comment

While im a Louis fan, i have to go with Tyson in that fight. Louis didnt have the best of chins,and he was plodding on his feet. I see Tyson catching him in the 6th.

For Ali, I see Ali beating him. Ali has a bit too much speed for Mike, and i see him out dancing him and outjabbing him to win late, much like Douglas did.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
                    Troy you are ******ed so don't bother trying to battle knowledge with.Conn almost knocked Louis out and then the next round he got cocky and went in for the kill and got knocked out.Louis was knocked out by Schmelling.Was Schelling a big time puncher?Nope.Was Braddock a big puncher?Hell no but he knocked Louis down with one punch in the first round of their bout.Louis was knocked down 3 or 4 times by Walcott who had 30 kos out of his 50 plus wins.Louis was knocked down on other occasions by one punch from complete nobodies.Louis had a weak chin period.
                    Little child i am sure i watched more Louis fights than you have.Nothing about the man was special.Who did he beat?The man didnt fight anybody for the most part of his career.Louis didn't fight any black fighters until later in his career and they all kicked his azz.Louis is overrated just as Marciano is.You need to stop listening to what old times tell you kid.They act like just because you fought along time ago then you must be good.
                    Tyson would walk through Louis and stop him in 3 rounds or less.And if you have been reading my post then you know i can not stand Tyson but i use logic when making predictions not my heart.The only guys who could band with Tyson and not be knocked out were fighters with great chins and great power and heart.Or you had to be able to stick and move with your jab and wear him down.Louis could do neither.
                    Was Douglas a big time puncher? Did Tyson do anything special? Who did Tyson beat that was better than anyone Louis beat? Don't even try and say Holmes.
                    Last edited by Skydog; 08-24-2005, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X