No announcement yet.

Pacquiao Clean Punches Against Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SthPaw View Post
    I agree. It does show Floyd's great ability to react defensively. Especially when compared with the same combo that dropped Cotto. But this is a landed shot in my opinion and should be counted. Yeah Floyd tried to get the shoulder up in time and deflect it which he very nearly did do, but regardless the shot hit him in the temple. I have a feeling that shots like this one not being counted (possibly) are the ones that made the compubox counts look stupid.
    Yep it definitely landed. You can see Floyd's head move immediately as soon as the punch hit and by the way his head moves. And if you take a look at his legs, you can even see his legs buckle immediately after the impact. Too bad for Pac this was another one of his punches that wasn't counted by the judges LOL

Originally posted by Syf View Post
    Look at the last uppercut of this sequence. Blindingly fast and it did indeed land. Bet you compubox did not award this punch.

PAC suffered from too much speed in a way. Since his strategy was to try to out point Floyd, he needed to showcase his punches better and the speed just made the punches not as noticeable one by one. If Floyd is in the middle of a defensive sequence, chances are he will get credit for defending an entire flurry even though 1 or 2 got in. Punches like this just slip under the radar. Floyd defended it, right?
    I'm sure it wasn't just compubox that didn't award that punch, there's a very high probability that the judges didn't award that punch also.

I agree with your analysis that Pac suffered from too much speed. Too fast to actually see clearly or to catch by the naked eye. But I think that's only one half of the problem, the other half of the problem is the judges, announcers and Compubox give Floyd too much credit. If they see a punch that they aren't sure if it landed or not or was too close to call, they'll decide that it didn't land if Pac was the one who threw the punch. But if Floyd was the one who threw the punch, they'll count the punch as a hit without any second thoughts. In their mind, they're probably thinking that Floyd is too big, too tall, too long and too good to get hit by the shorter and smaller Pac. And on the other hand, they're thinking Pac is too stupid and isn't good defensively enough to evade Floyd's punches. But Pac actually has a very under-rated defense and counter punching.
    Last edited by ganthet; 05-21-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• This is a great thread....nice to see people able to discuss the fight without all the baggage. Many comments here speak for the way I saw it. I really find compubox lacking. it is sad that this fight was not one of a few started at least 5 year ago. This was imo a close fight open to interpretation regarding the scoring. I have no problem giving it to Floyd, i would probably say the same if it had been scored the other way...I say this after watching the fight a couple of times.

Heres why Floyd deserved it though: Manny had no right to let up the last few rounds. As a matter of fact he should have let it hang out, taken a risk to try to show decisive aggression. Its the same mistake De La Hoya made with Trinidad and it cost De La Hoya dearly! You don't let up in the championship rounds....If Manny did this thinking he had bagged the fight, or, if he just couldn't continue at the same pace...either way thats a boni fide reason to give the other guy the W.

Comment

• Originally posted by ganthet View Post
        Yep it definitely landed. You can see Floyd's head move immediately as soon as the punch hit and by the way his head moves. And if you take a look at his legs, you can even see his legs buckle immediately after the impact. Too bad for Pac this was another one of his punches that wasn't counted by the judges LOL

I'm sure it wasn't just compubox that didn't award that punch, there's a very high probability that the judges didn't award that punch also.

I agree with your analysis that Pac suffered from too much speed. Too fast to actually see clearly or to catch by the naked eye. But I think that's only one half of the problem, the other half of the problem is the judges, announcers and Compubox give Floyd too much credit. If they see a punch that they aren't sure if it landed or not or was too close to call, they'll decide that it didn't land if Pac was the one who threw the punch. But if Floyd was the one who threw the punch, they'll count the punch as a hit without any second thoughts. In their mind, they're probably thinking that Floyd is too big, too tall, too long and too good to get hit by the shorter and smaller Pac. And on the other hand, they're thinking Pac is too stupid and isn't good defensively enough to evade Floyd's punches. But Pac actually has a very under-rated defense and counter punching.
        that is precisely why we need technology to show landed blows, like they do in fencing. "The hand is quicker than the eye" and no old azz, vegas, Manhattan swilling, Harold Letterman type old man is going to see when punches land, when they are slipped, etc. Its ridiculous. The only thing those guys can see is the immediate effect of a punch, and even then, you can see buckling that the judges did not catch.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          Yup. That was Manny's best punch by far. I don't think Floyd was hurt in the fourth but that shot in the sixth rocked him a little.
          Same punch he knocked Hatton out with...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake_Lamotta View Post
            There's something wrong with dat boy, that was really uncharacteristic of him...
            It was their game plan to outscore Mayweather. Also, they were wary of his traps. Watch the clips from their preparation, when Freddy kpet telling him to back off after throwing his combos against the Floyd on the ropes.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              This is a great thread....nice to see people able to discuss the fight without all the baggage. Many comments here speak for the way I saw it. I really find compubox lacking. it is sad that this fight was not one of a few started at least 5 year ago. This was imo a close fight open to interpretation regarding the scoring. I have no problem giving it to Floyd, i would probably say the same if it had been scored the other way...I say this after watching the fight a couple of times.

Heres why Floyd deserved it though: Manny had no right to let up the last few rounds. As a matter of fact he should have let it hang out, taken a risk to try to show decisive aggression. Its the same mistake De La Hoya made with Trinidad and it cost De La Hoya dearly! You don't let up in the championship rounds....If Manny did this thinking he had bagged the fight, or, if he just couldn't continue at the same pace...either way thats a boni fide reason to give the other guy the W.
              I agree with you.

If the injury was really true, then I hope there is a rematch. Maybe we can see a much more active Pacquiao. If Floyd wins again, then we can stop this Pac-May Rivalry and move on to the young and more active boxers of today.

Comment

• Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                I can't green k you. Thanks by adding more GIF to the thread. That girl pic.LOL

Comment

• If anyone can put up the last 5 seconds (missed punch sequence) of round 2 that be great.

Pac going in for the patented counter left to the body, right up top, Mayweather superb defence avoiding the sequence, comes back with his own signature check left hook, Pac ducks it in return, Mayweather clinches to end the round.

No clean punches but great defensive sequence from both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post

Floyd landed a right hand and moved with the left from Pacquiao, imo Floyd won the exchange.
                    Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post

Comment

• a toradol enhanced pacquiao? where do I sign for the rematch?

Comment

Working...
                      X