Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Boy Welterweight Tournament (Winner fights Floyd)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghazan View Post
    All of these fighters either fight for Golden Boy/Al Haymon, or is with a promoter who is willing to do business with GBP. So there is no excuse why any of these fights can't being made.

That being said, I propose a mini 147 tournament. It goes like this

FIGHT 1
    Adrien Broner vs Keith Thurman (assuming they both win their respective fights tomorrow night)

FIGHT 2:
    Shawn Porter vs Kell Brook ("FIGHT 1" and "FIGHT 2" should be on the same card to set up "FIGHT 3)

FIGHT 3:
    Winner of FIGHT 1 vs Winner of FIGHT 2 in a unification fight for the WBA and IBF welterweight belts

Fight 4:
    Winner of FIGHT 3 vs Floyd Mayweather for the WBA, IBF, WBC, and RING titles

How do you see this imaginary tournament ending up?
    So basically you want all these guys shop worn by the time they get to Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
      Broner = 24
      Thurman = 25
      Porter = 26
      Brook = 27

A tournament is not gonna leave them shopworn or damaged.

Comment

This is a sick comment, this is what's wrong with boxing.

How can the hell all these young guys be shop warn?? And Floyd a guy with 43+ fights can't be shop worn??? and that also happens to be close to 40 than 30?

So in that case majority of fighters than 25+ victories are shop worn, or your talking about taking damage? Well why would Floyd Vs Manny ever be considered, because Manny was taking SERIOUS shop worn damage before he was Flyweight if you put it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          Broner = 24
          Thurman = 25
          Porter = 26
          Brook = 27

A tournament is not gonna leave them shopworn or damaged.
          While Ward got byes do due Dirrell cry baby antics the rest fought and beat the crap out each other Ward had the easy schedule compared to the rest by the time Froch fought him he was shop worn and burnt out. I know you wouldn't understand because you have never fought before but trust me many fights no matter how young you are do take it's toll. Why do you think Mayweather fights once a year to allow his body to heal and to inject his HGH to perverse his body

Comment

While Ward got byes do due Dirrell cry baby antics the rest fought and beat the crap out each other Ward had the easy schedule compared to the rest by the time Froch fought him he was shop worn and burnt out. I know you wouldn't understand because you have never fought before but trust me many fights no matter how young you are do take it's toll. Why do you think Mayweather fights once a year to allow his body to heal and to inject his HGH to perverse his body
            It doesn't matter, a fight is a fight, depends on how well you get through it.

So if May fights Thurman too early he's too green, if he fights him later than he's shop worn??

Comment

What if Broner wins the whole thing though?
              He already said he wouldn't fight Floyd.
              I like the idea though but at the same time they need to bring some fighters back like Ortiz, Berto, Matthysse (can move up test the waters). People already know these names maybe they could fight the losers of your tournament to throw them right back in the mix?

None of those guys really sell PPV for Floyd at this moment so a tournament would defiantly help them build their names in the sport like the super 6 tournament did.

Comment

Would love to see this play out.

GBP has a deep roster around 147. you can mix and match with:

ghost
                thurman
                ortiz
                danny
                khan
                alexander
                porter
                maidana
                broner
                pauli

alot of exciting fights to make..

But remember they tried to have the 140 tourney this year with garcia-zab, lucas-peterson, winners fight, and winner of that got khan in december, remember all that talk

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Would love to see this play out.

GBP has a deep roster around 147. you can mix and match with:

ghost
                  thurman
                  ortiz
                  danny
                  khan
                  alexander
                  porter
                  maidana
                  broner
                  pauli

alot of exciting fights to make..

But remember they tried to have the 140 tourney this year with garcia-zab, lucas-peterson, winners fight, and winner of that got khan in december, remember all that talk
                  I forgot about the Ghost and Paulie
                  that roster is deep.

Comment

One issue I have with Floyd's recent opposition is that they usually only have one good win instead of a string of them. Ortiz only had Berto, and Canelo only had Trout. With a tournament, even if we don't think the winner has any chance of beating Floyd, at least we'd know he truly deserves to share the same ring with Floyd because he's consistently beaten good opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazan View Post
                      All of these fighters either fight for Golden Boy/Al Haymon, or is with a promoter who is willing to do business with GBP. So there is no excuse why any of these fights can't being made.

That being said, I propose a mini 147 tournament. It goes like this

FIGHT 1
                      Adrien Broner vs Keith Thurman (assuming they both win their respective fights tomorrow night)

FIGHT 2:
                      Shawn Porter vs Kell Brook ("FIGHT 1" and "FIGHT 2" should be on the same card to set up "FIGHT 3)

FIGHT 3:
                      Winner of FIGHT 1 vs Winner of FIGHT 2 in a unification fight for the WBA and IBF welterweight belts

Fight 4:
                      Winner of FIGHT 3 vs Floyd Mayweather for the WBA, IBF, WBC, and RING titles

How do you see this imaginary tournament ending up?
                      won't happen black vs black doesn't sell

mayweather needs a mexican/rican to do at least 800k buys tbh

Comment

Working...
                      X