Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is New York the most overrated City in history?.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
    As are most major cities.

There is no such thing as "the capital of the World".
    Not on the scale that NYC is. You go to Paris or any other major city and tell me that you will find as many Russians, Chinese, Italians, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Portuguese, as you would in NYC. Not even close, and by far and away NYC is the unofficial capital of the world. There is a reason the United Nations headquarters are in NYC.

Well of course it is a matter of opinion, but either Rome or Sydney for me.
    Reason being?
    Last edited by Enayze; 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

sydney to me is the most over rated city in the world i've been in.

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
        sydney to me is the most over rated city in the world i've been in.
        I went for Christmas and New Year a few years ago and it was amazing. The place is beautiful, the skyline, the harbor, and Bondi Beach on Christmas day was huge plus too.

Comment

I went for Christmas and New Year a few years ago and it was amazing. The place is beautiful, the skyline, the harbor, and Bondi Beach on Christmas day was huge plus too.
          was there for NYE one year. It was great tbf. NY day was messy as fck though. About 2 hours sleep then straight to an irish pub in Bondi junction for 11am to celebrate NY for Ireland. Ive been very feckin drunk quite a few times, but that day might crack the top 3! Fell asleep on the train going back and forth between bondi and central. Ticket inspector woke me up and i didnt have a clue where the **** i was. Looked at my watch and was worried i might've been half way to Canberra! Thank feck the train went back and forth between bondi and central and not to another city after central!

Bondi is grossly over rated, its not even the best beach in Sydney. But Xmas day wouldve been good fun there i guess. Manly is a nice place, but a bit snobbish. The entire West of Sydney is a **** hole full of **** wits lol. Good night life in the city centre, but every city has that. Darling Harbour is pretty sweet; and the Opera house but the harbour bridge is nothing special imo.

Sydney is good, but not great imo. Just a typical city with some nice bits and a lot of **** holes

Comment

Rome I can say, but Sydney? I'm sure it's a great city but I listed the impact world wide that NYC has had and it's hard to beat that.

I would say the only cities that can claim the things I listed is London, Paris, Tokyo and Rome....

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              Rome I can say, but Sydney? I'm sure it's a great city but I listed the impact world wide that NYC has had and it's hard to beat that.

I would say the only cities that can claim the things I listed is London, Paris, Tokyo and Rome....
              Sydney is beautiful, New York is just a crowded bunch of crappy old buildings and ridiculously overcrowded population.

Yes you can see the Statue of Liberty or the ESB, but...

After you've been there once you've pretty much got the t-shirt.

Comment

Been to sydney and thought it was pretty boring tbh. I've heard Melbourne is more interesting. Toronto and Montreal are cool cities, I like Lisbon and I've heard good things about Berlin.

Overall I would say that NYC had the biggest impact on me. It's the size and diversity of the place which is which makes it so impressive to me. Not just in in terms of different nationalities but all the different subcultures, music scenes, fashions, foods, art. No city other than maybe London can compare.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                  Have you visited AFTER the early 1990's? It's a very different city.

If you actually are talking about the city now then I wonder what you thought of it in the old days.

But then you say you don't like big cities in general so...different strokes I guess.
                  Like any city there's too many people, too much noise, too many bad smells, too much griminess in the air, too many obnoxious attitudes. I've been in every major city on the east coast and they're all what I'd describe as ****holes. The bright neon lights have no allure for me.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    I'll be in NYC for the Salido-Garcia fight....

Anyway, as a Philadelphian nothing about New York "amazes" me. There certainly is a ton to see and do and I always have a lot of fun when I visit. But, I already have all the good things about a big city (the food, diversity, night life, history) in my home town.....but my home town does kind of go to sleep at night. I like that. I don't want to live where it's brimmin' 24 hours a day. I also think the traffic in and around NYC is life-draining.

It's a great place to visit and I'm sure great for most who live there. What it isn't is the magical and mystical place portrayed in movies and on television.
                    You don't go to Pat and Geno's for 'steaks?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                      You don't go to Pat and Geno's for 'steaks?
                      No, they're overrated.

John's Roast Pork in South Phila and Steve's Prince of Steaks in the Northeast are the best in the city, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X