No announcement yet.

Juan M. Marquez announces retirement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan M. Marquez announces retirement

The Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, lightweight champion of the World Boxing Organization, announced his retirement at the end of the year even if he's able to land a 4th fight against the pinnoy boxer Manny Pacquiao.

"We're retiring this year, it doesn't matter if we can get a 4th fight with Pacquiao. I have nothing else to prove, everyone knows what I'm capable of and I'm happily retiring" said Marquez this Thursday.

"I'm going to continue with my actual schedule, in April 14 or 21 we're possibly going to fight the Argentinian boxer Cesar Cuenca in Mexico City; in July I'll fight again and again in November, if it's against Pacquiao great, if not then no problem"

Marquez pointed out that he set this year for retirement so that Manny Pacquiao would accept a 4th fight. "But when he didn't accept it he already said that he was afraid, because if he wasn't the 4th fight would've been done right away"

The Mexican boxer, with a long 19 year boxing career ,said he's about to end his time at boxing.

"The time, the family and even me, with already 28 years in boxing, are asking for a new stage in my life. I'm looking to begin a new cycle while being at 100% and I'm very focused on the next stage of my life" said Marquez when being asked about a possible politic charge with Partido Revolucionario Institucional (PRI)

Marquez said that he still doesn't have a formal offer from PRI for an eventual candidature in the next 1st of July elections, in which there will be a change of over 600 legislators and 128 senators.

About the $29,910 pesos fine that was imposed by the Instituto Federal Electoral (IFE) for showing a political party emblem (The PRI logotype) in his fight against Manny Pacquiao last year, he said that IFE would reconsider it and finally remove that fine.

"We're not happy and we're going to fight" said Marquez.

Source: ESPN Deportes

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news...box&type=story

I translated it so you guys could understand it, sorry for all the mistakes.
    Last edited by vacon04; 03-01-2012, 10:19 PM.

Nooooooooooooooooo

Comment

he's bluffin...resume is weak for an excellnet fighter...

Comment

Noooooooooooo

Marquez pointed out that he set this year for retirement so that Manny Pacquiao would accept a 4th fight. "But when he didn't accept it he already said that he was afraid because if he wasn't the 4th fight would've been done right away"
        Don't worry Marquez most real boxing fans know you beat him 2 times out of 3.
        Last edited by thuggery; 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

damn! One of my favorites of this era.

Comment

He's giving Pac an ultimatum

Annoying

Comment

I hope this isn't the case. There are still good fights out there for JMM. I could see him fighting the winner of Prescott vs Khan or Gamboa vs. Rios.

Comment

If true, where do ya'll rank him among ATG Mexican greats?

Steep list.

Comment

i think its a good move by him hes done wonderful things inside the ring. marquez has always shown great sportsmanship and ive always admired him for that. i wouldnt mind seeing him againsnt morales either.....

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh View Post
                    i think its a good move by him hes done wonderful things inside the ring. marquez has always shown great sportsmanship and ive always admired him for that. i wouldnt mind seeing him againsnt morales either.....
                    He already proved what he's capable of. In Golpe a Golpe a poll said that most people wanted him to retire and he was happy because he knew those results showed that people already knew that he was a great boxer and that he had nothing else to prove.

Comment

Working...
                    X