No announcement yet.

Showtime offers Top Rank $1.1M for Loma-Walters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
    Yea the purse is his guaranteed money. I know for a fact that won't fly in Vegas, NY, or Cali. The purse reported to the commissions are put into an escrow acct by the commissions and given to the fighters as soon as the fight is over. Ask OnePunch he would know better than I do. I'm just going off what I've been told by someone who worked promotions.
    there is basically 2 ways they could do it. #1 it could be an informal "side bet" scenario between Loma and Walters, and perfectly legal depending on the State the fight takes place in. Probably not the best scenario for Walters, because no guarantee he gets paid. Scenario #2 would be that the bout contract purse for Loma gets reduced by 300k, and then a win bonus of 300k gets added to both fighter contracts. An additional clause could also state that in the event of a draw or no-contest, the 300k reverts back to Loma.

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
      Arum is gonna run lomas career to the ground like he did rios
      He ran Rios career into the ground? He got him huge fights, made him a millionaire. Rios not being a good boxer is what ran his career into the ground.

The guy fought Pacquiao FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Didn't Jones do something like that for the Hopkins rematch?
        No, the way Jones' genius manager negotiated that one out was that they structured a deal where the first 3mil of profit would go to Hopkins, the next 3mil would go to Jones, and (i think) they'd split anything past that point.

But the fight didn't even make 3mil in profit, so Jones didn't get any money. ****ing disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
          Arum isn't stupid enough to take this bait.

He goes to Showtime and than all of a sudden hbo shuns him for his lack of loyalty.

And now arum has no where to go, because he pissed off hbo, and Haymon runs Showtime's dates.

No way arum could be this stupid. They trying to ambush his old ass.
          I'm not sure HBO would shun Top Rank for taking a bigger offer for a fight they haven't made a priority on their own network.

This wouldn't wouldnt be like taking Pac to another network, or even Crawford, who's an established HBO headliner.

Lomachenko is a smaller level fighter and in fact he's already fought on SHO (against Russell Jr.).

It certainly doesn't seem like Arum isworried about the backlash from HBO, because it was already reported that Arum met with SHO's Matt Blank and Stephen Espinoza precisely to talk about taking this fight to SHO back in February.
          Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 03-27-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
            I'm not sure HBO would shun Top Rank for taking a bigger offer for a fight they haven't made a priority on their own network.

This wouldn't wouldnt be like taking Pac to another network, or even Crawford, who's an established HBO headliner.

Lomachenko is a smaller level fighter and in fact he's already fought on SHO (against Russell Jr.).

It certainly doesn't seem like Arum isworried about the backlash from HBO, because it was reported back that Arum met with SHO's Matt Blank and Stephen Espinoza precisely to talk about taking this fight to SHO back in February.
            That's very possible.

More likely IMO is hbo wants Loma, but they want these guys at there price.

Haymon's purses really threw purses out of balance. I think hbo is trying to adjust and they know realistically there main focus is only on a handful of fighters.

But they still need some cheaper fighters too, and I doubt they want the promoters they pay to work with a rival network.

Thats just how boxing works in the Haymon business climate, you have to pick a side.

Comment

That's very possible.

Haymon's purses really threw purses out of balance. I think hbo is trying to adjust and they know realistically there main focus is only on a handful of fighters.

But they still need some cheaper fighters too, and I doubt they want the promoters they pay to work with a rival network.

Thats just how boxing works in the Haymon business climate, you have to pick a side.
              I believe the reason the president for hbo at the time Arum took Manny P to Showtime was fired for losing that Pac fight. Do you or anyone else remember?

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
                I believe the reason the president for hbo at the time Arum took Manny P to Showtime was fired for losing that Pac fight. Do you or anyone else remember?
                I dunno, it could be possible.

PPV brings in a nice chunk of money for these networks. Quite frankly it probably covers the cost of a lot of the overpriced network fights.

In the past you could defend overpaying for fights knowing that promoter was giving you PPV fights.

Thats how Haymon was able to get all his guys so much damn money from hbo and Showtime. All he had to do was dangle that Floyd ppv.

Without real ppv stars I dont know how promoters can defend asking for so much $ for non-stars. There's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post

It certainly doesn't seem like Arum isworried about the backlash from HBO, because it was already reported that Arum met with SHO's Matt Blank and Stephen Espinoza precisely to talk about taking this fight to SHO back in February.
                  And precisely nothing came of that meeting.

Comment

That's very possible.

I'd say it's Donaire-Rigondeaux purse that skews it more than Haymon.

Comment

I dunno, it could be possible.

PPV brings in a nice chunk of money for these networks. Quite frankly it probably covers the cost of a lot of the overpriced network fights.

In the past you could defend overpaying for fights knowing that promoter was giving you PPV fights.

Thats how Haymon was able to get all his guys so much damn money from hbo and Showtime. All he had to do was dangle that Floyd ppv.

Without real ppv stars I dont know how promoters can defend asking for so much $ for non-stars. There's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow anymore.
                      In the build-up to Floyd Mayweather's pay-per-view event with Robert Guerrero, Showtime has made the decision to bring in the man that was the head of HBO Sports when Mayweather made his leap to superstardom in the mid to late 2000's. Ross Greenburg, fired from HBO in the summer of 2011 for losing Manny Pacquiao to Showtime for one fight among other things, has been hired by Showtime to work on the promotional build-up for Mayweather's pay-per-view show.

I wonder if Arum would try to use the whole I'm going to back Showtime as leverage. Since he has the up and coming stars

Comment

Working...
                      X