Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk the future of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canelo will be huge with the Mexicans of course..I think GGG will be a crossover star if he can get some big fights..Crawford May be the next Shane Mosley type American superstar... Thurman is the guy I'd like to see make it big..his take on anyone type attitude (same as canelos) is just what we need as boxing fans. Personally, I'm so sick of hearing guys say its a business when asked about potential opponents. As much as a turd Broner may be, if he gets better, he'd be good for the future of boxing as far as the casual fan watching (hoping he gets crushed, much like they do Mayweather)

Comment

I think boxing is in a fair state. But gone are the days of fighters who love the sport so much, they would die in the ring.

Gone, are the days that two superstars would collide head on like bulls to see who is the baddest mother****er in the ring, THAT NIGHT, like Hagler-Hearns.

Everyone takes a calculated, cautious approach to maximize income and minimize damage to themselves: which is great, and smart. BUT that's not what this sport was built on.

I want to see guys trying to finish fights instead of squeak by on the cards, and collect 800,000+.

I want to see more Pacquiao's going forward, and less Mayweathers.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but that is the life these guys chose.

The "best" fighters aren't interested in fighting the best anymore. Unless they're unreasonably over-paid. Promotional politics at an all-time high. It is now, more-so just a business more than it ever was.
      Last edited by SeekDaGreat; 09-15-2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
        I think boxing is in a fair state. But gone are the days of fighters who love the sport so much, they would die in the ring.

Gone, are the days that two superstars would collide head on like bulls to see who is the baddest mother****er in the ring, THAT NIGHT, like Hagler-Hearns.

Everyone takes a calculated, cautious approach to maximize income and minimize damage to themselves: which is great, and smart. BUT that's not what this sport was built on.

I want to see guys trying to finish fights instead of squeak by on the cards, and collect 800,000+.

I want to see more Pacquiao's going forward, and less Mayweathers.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but that is the life these guys chose.
        Yeah, I guess when you're making $750,000 like Garcia and Leo SC for fighting the Ron Salkas of the sport there's no more urgency to get in there for a couple hundred grand more and risk losing and getting beat down against great competition. That's what Al Haymon brings to the sport unfortunately. As long as Espinoza keeps buying his cards, that's what we are stuck seeing. He's great for his clients and horrible for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
          Bold prediction: I think Crawford will be P4P king when Pac and Floyd retire
          Crawford has potential, he is a big strong guy at lw and can box on the outside or rough it up. But how will he fare at 140 and above? Plus, will he ever stick around and consistently beat the best in a division to unify titles or consistently fight the top guys as he moves up in weight.

I think Danny Garcia still has tonnes to achieve in this sport and he can. Khan too.

I believe Frampton will be an even bigger star in the lower weights in the coming year and that Gonzalez has a great chance of finishing up as a HOFer.

Joshua excites me as a heavyweight.

In terms of my two favourite divisions, welter and middle, I'm looking forward to seeing more of guys like Thurman, Canelo, Brook, the Charlo twins, hopefully some of these guys fight each other.

Comment

Rod Salka will be the next face of boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
              Rod Salka will be the next face of boxing
              Face down perhaps.

Comment

Let's talk about the future of boxing when one or both Money Mayweather and Pacquiao are no longer around. Right now, Haymon and Espinoza are getting away with making mismatches because fans are way too focused on the two.

That's why I'll celebrate when Money Mayweather announces his retirement. Pacquiao getting clipped by Algieri is also a possibility. Anything that effectively ends the May/Pac debate.

Comment

I can picture Thurman, Porter, Brook, Khan, and eventually Broner, and Garcia becoming huge in the welterweight division. Plus, Thurman's old school "I'll fight anybody" mentality just may be enough to bring more attention to the sport once he gets to the top.

Alexander will eventually bounce back into the spotlight but my question is how long will he stay there? His stance in the welterweight division is quite strange to me.

I hadn't heard from Bradley in a while so I don't know what to say about him.

Crawford seems to have what it takes to make it big. After all, he is the first guy to beat Gamboa and in a great fight at that (still FOTY to me). As long as he doesn't go the path of his favorite boxer, he'll be doing something good for his career.

Canelo is already a big name for Mexicans and I think his popularity may end completely overshadowing Chavez Jr.

On the contrary, I'm not sure who would be Puerto Rico's next superstar. Juanma Lopez is definitely out the question now so I guess that leaves Felix Verdejo if he keeps this up.

The future for Alvarado is very uncertain but we're sure to still get some entertaining matches out of Rios and Provodnikov. However, I got a feeling Ruslan may end up being the only one able to compete with higher level opponents. If the Cold War ends, many more people will see it.

I'll have to wait and see how Wilder does against higher level competition but it's good to see an American heavyweight boxer rising to the top. I truly hope this guy revives the heavyweight division to what it once was.

Comment

Working...
                  X