Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Marquez just destroy Mayweather's legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Except for the fact that Floyd beat the crap out of JMM. Now if JMM fights and beats Floyd I can say people will say this. Pac has no clear victories over JMM or Floyd. JMM has a clear win over Pac. FLoyd has a clear win over JMM. These are the facts. w

Comment

• Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
      No, he didn't.

What Marquez did though is diminish both Pacquiao and Mayweather's biggest payday to date. I couldn't be happier. Both Pacquiao and Mayweather legacies are secured with a slight questionmark as to why they never fought, and it's something that will be tied to both guys forever.
      Exactly, and they are both to blame. Pacquiao for refusing to take the test whenever it would be asked, and May for not just dropping the test requirement when he realized this fight would not happen because of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Boxing is like college football, if you want to be known as the best, you have to play the best. Strength of schedule is what counts, in boxing it's the same. There are plenty of guys that come out of the Mide West circuit that are like 20-0, but who have they fought?

Mayweather is a great fighter no doubt but he has chosen his opponents wisely, make no mistake about it. If he would have fought and beat Pacquaio, he would have solidified his legacy as one of the greatest ever and this loss by Pac doesn't tarnish his own legacy because we all know Pac was one of the most feared fighters ever.

Not to mention the fact that Floyd just threw away a ton of money, he's not a smart business man like he says he is.
        Not that I disagree with what you said but you always mention this about PBF but fail to mention that Manny and Arum did the same exact things as well with Manny moving up in weight.

I do disagree with the underlined though. He was respected and hyped to the gills sometimes a lil overboard but who on top doesn't get that treatment. But one of the most feared ever Manny was not. Who can you name besides PBF(which I don't agree with either) that actually FEARED Manny and didn't want to fight him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
          you can't evaluate floyd's floyd's whole career just post ODH. You also can't hold him solely accountable for the fight not happening.
          Sure I can' fighters like Mayweather can make the fights they wan't, I agree most don't and it's up to the promoter but in the case of Mayweather, I think he got caught up in a *** swinging contest and it backfired on him.

He could have fought Manny but he made all these pretences and in the end, neither Manny or Mayweather were willing to give in.

Not to mention that Mayweather might have lost 100 million in this fight.

Originally posted by tredh View Post
          Not that I disagree with what you said but you always mention this about PBF but fail to mention that Manny and Arum did the same exact things as well with Manny moving up in weight.

I do disagree with the underlined though. He was respected and hyped to the gills sometimes a lil overboard but who on top doesn't get that treatment. But one of the most feared ever Manny was not. Who can you name besides PBF(which I don't agree with either) that actually FEARED Manny and didn't want to fight him?
          Manny is different, you can't compare the two. Manny is a fighter that came from 106lbs and people fail to bring that up. Manny's legacy is set in stone, what he accomplished was amazing and the main reason people had no choice in accusing him of PED's.

Remember when Floyd talked about not putting his life in danger fighting Manny because he was all doped up? Don't tell me Manny wasn't feared, he was. Just because people requested fighting him, means nothing. They want to get paid but very few had a real chance of beating Manny.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
            Now people will always look at him as the guy who ducked his main rival and went out undefeated.
            Mayweather definitely didn't do himself any favors by not being the one to dethrone Pacquiao. Now, Floyd needs a big victory to cement his legacy. Floyd not fighting Pacquiao definitely hurts his legacy. Floyd also didn't want to fight Margarito either at his peak.

Comment

• Originally posted by tank17211 View Post
              Mayweather definitely didn't do himself any favors by not being the one to dethrone Pacquiao. Now, Floyd needs a big victory to cement his legacy. Floyd not fighting Pacquiao definitely hurts his legacy. Floyd also didn't want to fight Margarito either at his peak.
              He didn't want to fight a lot of people who were at their peak. There was talk of Margarito, Mosley and even DLH earlier on.

Floyd has been smart but this one hurt him. Not only did he miss out on mega money but he failed to be the one to knock his rival off the pedestal.

Comment

Sure I can' fighters like Mayweather can make the fights they wan't, I agree most don't and it's up to the promoter but in the case of Mayweather, I think he got caught up in a *** swinging contest and it backfired on him.

He could have fought Manny but he made all these pretences and in the end, neither Manny or Mayweather were willing to give in.

Manny is different, you can't compare the two. Manny is a fighter that came from 106lbs and people fail to bring that up. Manny's legacy is set in stone, what he accomplished was amazing and the main reason people had no choice in accusing him of PED's.

Remember when Floyd talked about not putting his life in danger fighting Manny because he was all doped up? Don't tell me Manny wasn't feared, he was. Just because people requested fighting him, means nothing. They want to get paid but very few had a real chance of beating Manny.
                Manny is a grown man. He decided to turn floyd down in 09 and earlier this year. He sits at home today knowing in his heart he choose what he thought was the easiest fight out of floyd, cotto at no CW, bradley and JMM. He paid dearly for that choice.

Comment

He didn't want to fight a lot of people who were at their peak. There was talk of Margarito, Mosley and even DLH earlier on.

Floyd has been smart but this one hurt him. Not only did he miss out on mega money but he failed to be the one to knock his rival off the pedestal.
                  Floyd hasn't fought in almost a year, JMM has the KO of the year over the 2nd biggest star in boxing. Yet, there are as many posts about how this affected floyd, his legacy etc etc.
                  That makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    Manny is a grown man. He decided to turn floyd down in 09 and earlier this year. He sits at home today knowing in his heart he choose what he thought was the easiest fight out of floyd, cotto at no CW, bradley and JMM. He paid dearly for that choice.
                    Wow lool......

Comment

I don't mention Manny coming from 106 is because was a teenager not a grown man. So if Manny was say 20 fighting at 106 then went up to 150 then I would talk about that but teens and grown men are apples and oranges in my book. Hell might as well say PBF did the same but he was still an ametuer.
                      PBF did say that but at the same time people didn't request to fight Tyson even for the money now that is real fear. Manny wasn't feared like those guys so can't say he was one of the most feared fighters ever cause its simply not true.

We will never agree about the 106lb weight or the most feared thing.

My comments where not about his legacy or accomplishments.

Comment

Working...
                      X