No announcement yet.

Are venues part of the cold war?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are venues part of the cold war?

I just realized that TR has been hosting all their NYC fights in the theater at MSG and GBP has been hosting their fights at Barclays arena.

Why won't TR hold an event in Brooklyn or GBP at MSG?

That's true. I've noticed damn near all the Showtime fights have been in the Barclays, and it feels like Paulie only agreed to commentate for Showtime if the fights were held in Brooklyn.

Oh, and let's not forget San Antonio. My God, how often do they fight there? I feel like that's the new California.

Comment

Barclays has a contract with GBP so they will take their NYC fights there instead of anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Barclays has a contract with GBP so they will take their NYC fights there instead of anywhere else.
        That's probably why, it's funny that I never realized each company was fighting in a specific venue until now.

Comment

brooklyn arena has a deal with GBP, MSG is open to all promoters

Comment

Also GB got a crap ton of Brooklyn fighters... well... the big ones at least

Comment

Venue/real estate giant AEG used to hold a partial share of GBP, but that was until late 2012 when the ownership group of AEG put it up for sale. I don't know if that partnership played a role in the cold war though, but it seems like it could have?

Comment

http://nypost.com/2010/10/23/golden-...r-in-brooklyn/

Oscar De La Hoya admitted this week his company Golden Boy Promotions is under “a lot of pressure” to deliver quality bouts during his three-year deal with the new Brooklyn Arena.

The contract begins when the arena opens in 2012. Golden Boy will provide 12 shows a year in the new venue, an ambitious schedule for the Los Angeles-based company.

Comment

I don't think venues has much to do with the cold war. Golden Boy made a good deal with the new Brooklyn arena and now they have to have lots of fights there to keep up the terms of their deal. There could be lots of reasons that Golden Boy or Top Rank like to have fights in certain venues besides the cold war.

Comment

Did they have 12 shows last year there?

Comment

Working...
                    X