Sparring yesterday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring yesterday

Have at it, guys.

Last edited by Don Flamenco; 06-10-2012, 11:25 AM.

which one is you?

Comment

blue shoes

Comment

eventhou you're a short dude, you have a good sense of distance, good work Don.

Comment

Thanks, TuPai

Everyone at my gym, even though they're usually bigger, always comes forward and gives their height away

Comment

Good spar. Yo should definitely try throwing right hands to the body but don't slap them. That guy kept covering up when you doubled up on the jab right hands to the body wouldve gone in all day. Good job.

Comment

A lot of the time, when you catch his jab, you reach out with your right hand. Let the punch come to you, and if you are out of range just let it go. There was one sequence where he had his hands up around his head and you just stood right in front of him with your chin in the air while you threw several punches, the last being a left hook to the body. You got away with it but it isn't a good habit to get into.
              You do a good job of catching and blocking punches. The next step is to develope your counterpunching ability, to learn how yo avoid those punches without tying up your hands so you can punch while he is punching.

Comment

Not bad at all! Keep up the hard work, green K!

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                  A lot of the time, when you catch his jab, you reach out with your right hand. Let the punch come to you, and if you are out of range just let it go. There was one sequence where he had his hands up around his head and you just stood right in front of him with your chin in the air while you threw several punches, the last being a left hook to the body. You got away with it but it isn't a good habit to get into.
                  You do a good job of catching and blocking punches. The next step is to develope your counterpunching ability, to learn how yo avoid those punches without tying up your hands so you can punch while he is punching.

I definitely noticed what you are saying about keeping my chin up during the sequence where I finished with a left hook to the Body. I'll be looking to take away his jab by countering next time. I usually like to slip to the outside and throw my right, or just time his jab and throw a looping right hand over it (around the 1 minute mark.)

Thanks for the help, greynotsoold
                  Last edited by Don Flamenco; 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

that was a pretty good right hand; I liked the way you threw it overhand to get it there. Think on this for a minute...You say that all these taller guys come to you and give up their height advantage. Here's two ways , using the left hand, to make them pay for that.
                    To start, you need to let them come at you with the jab. Stay just a hair out of range, but don't touch their glove, because you want them really stepping behind that jab. Then you parry it, push it over your left shoulder with your right glove. Let it come right to you, with them really stepping behind it, then push it over your shoulder. You have to get your left hand out of the way for this to work, drop it to chest level, but not to far.
                    When you parry that jab, their weight will come forward. You can do two things. One, push off your right foot and bring up that left hand, like a jab/straight left hand. This is very punishing. Or hook. Drop the weight onto the back foot and throw a real short left hook to the chin or solar plexus.

Comment

Working...
                    X