No announcement yet.

Who was the real "Mr. Unstoppable?"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the real "Mr. Unstoppable?"

We're not talking Roy Jones, so matter how vigorously he claimed it in his song. And we're not talking the guy with the best chin neccessarily. We're talking about the guy, who, whether due to chin, recooperation and savvy, or just pure defensive skills, was the fighter you simply can't see being stopped at his weight.

There are quite a few for me: Hagler, Monzon, Robinson, Ali, Whitaker, Mayweather, Gavilan, Greb, Hopkins, Toney, Pryor, maybe a few more.

Whatcha think?
    Last edited by Sweet Pete; 12-25-2007, 08:27 PM.

Although Chuvalo and 'Tex' Cobb were stopped I doubt many could knock them out.

I think anyone can be stopped past their prime (Ali, Whitaker, Robinson, Pryor from that list were) but some of the guys would probably never be truly knocked out, maybe stopped on injuries and cuts but not KO'd.

A great defensive fighter like Whitaker is almost impossible to knock out. Even Tito couldn't do it when Whitaker was coked up and past his prime so I doubt anyone could.

Ali could take any shot and recover. Frazier wore him down with bodyshots for 15 rounds and hit him with a flush left hook, knocked him down and Ali got up after 2 seconds. He took hits from Shavers, Foreman and Liston, so I doubt he could be KO'd.

Robinson was knocked down many times but was never out. He actually started fighting even harder when he was hurt. The only time he was stopped in his long career was against a LHW because of exhaustion.

Hagler's head was a rock. Hearns hit as hard as anyone and when he punched Hagler his right hand broke.

Comment

i think james toney should be on that list!!

Comment

Originally posted by jadagod View Post
        Toney too he went up from middleweight to heavyweight and was never stopped and hardly ever knocked down legitimately (once by Reggie Johnson and the humiliating KD against RJJ, the Peter knockdown wasn't much). His defensive skills and his hard head make him almost unstoppable.

But if he keeps fighting past his prime someone is eventually going to stop him. Toney should just quit.

Comment

No one's unstoppable. Thats my two cents.

Comment

Marvin Hagler.

Comment

Originally posted by Azteca View Post

That's no fun. Atleast we can argue about who is the MOST unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by jadagod View Post
                Yup, one I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Azteca View Post

So who do you think could stop Hagler or Monzon at MW?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
                    So who do you think could stop Hagler or Monzon at MW?
                    Uhh Hagler could stop Monzon and vice versa. No one is unstoppable not named Rocky Marciano.

Comment

Working...
                    X